My new mirrors

JAM

I like some others catch bit of their shoulder in the mirror. I could adjust the factory mirror to where I liked. So I machined another set out of 6061. I know that they are a bit peculiar, but they work. I cut the mirrors out of a convex mirror and ground them to fit inside the black holder. The clear acrylic body holds three bright LED assemblies, turn or constantly on, I don't know. The mirrors articulate high, low, or anywhere you need them to be. They have bushings of brass, hardware in SS, and all aluminum surfaces are black anodized. I still have old OEMs, but wanted something I don't want to curse at. I supported the mirror in the middle so as not to have the mirror fold in at higher speeds. This forces the arm to be a bit longer. The arms have a black acrylic cover which covers the power wire to a point. I am going to change the wire to black in the near future.

post-850-084523300 1276190429_thumb.jpg

Edited by JAM

• Member Contributer

Tits!

What I missed is the reflector in the bar-ends. Are they lit, as well? Like it!!!!!! We should brain-storm 6th gen trinkets! LOL.

Tits!

What I missed is the reflector in the bar-ends. Are they lit, as well? Like it!!!!!! We should brain-storm 6th gen trinkets! LOL.

The bar ends have turn signals integrated into them. The bar end are stainless and purchased from Polo GMBH in Germany. They make them in brushed, shiny, or even black now. I will look the company up later. What other trinkets are left? I did do the not so sexy rubber flap on the inside that is attached to the rear inner fender. It does very cheaply what the hugger does, that is keep the crap from being thrown into the rear shock. I will post it in a short while. PM if you have anything else.

• Member Contributer

My first reaction when I looked at the pic 'Wow, what the hell it that?" But after staring at it for a minute or so, I think it looks pretty good. Nice job. :goofy:

My first reaction when I looked at the pic 'Wow, what the hell it that?" But after staring at it for a minute or so, I think it looks pretty good. Nice job. :fing02:

Better to be looked over than over looked. It is hard developing something new without stepping on traditions. I always start off with my list of needs, and try to follow some basic design guidelines regarding strength of materials, functional needs, and long term wear and usage. Sometimes I am surprised at the ending. I am a mechanical designer who uses no program or paper when I make things, funny how that is. Sort of a stream of thought. I posted these pics and descriptions to see if the design could hold water, so questions are very much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

My first reaction when I looked at the pic 'Wow, what the hell it that?" But after staring at it for a minute or so, I think it looks pretty good. Nice job. :comp13:

Better to be looked over than over looked. It is hard developing something new without stepping on traditions. I always start off with my list of needs, and try to follow some basic design guidelines regarding strength of materials, functional needs, and long term wear and usage. Sometimes I am surprised at the ending. I am a mechanical designer who uses no program or paper when I make things, funny how that is. Sort of a stream of thought. I posted these pics and descriptions to see if the design could hold water, so questions are very much appreciated.

LOL. Seems you have methods that are sound. It so happens that an engineer, "without hands on", tends to worry me a tad. I see it a lot. LOL. Your bike needs a Bug Buster. LOL. The folks here, NEVER cease to amaze! Beautiful work and appreciated thought process!!!! Hats off.

Those look really cool!!! Streamlined and functional!!! I like the color, and adjust-ability, plus with the turn signals up so high, it should make it easier for the cagers to see you in their rear view mirrors. You said that you weren't sure about blinking, or steady on. If you have room, why not put the clear LED's below some orange LED's. The orange ones could be used for turn signals. I'm terrible with electronics, so I'm not sure how that could be managed. I'd have it set so that the white/clear LED's would go off when the ornage turn signals came on, hopefully increasing visibility. How difficult would it to make the support arms in an airfoil shape?

Those look really cool!!! Streamlined and functional!!! I like the color, and adjust-ability, plus with the turn signals up so high, it should make it easier for the cagers to see you in their rear view mirrors. You said that you weren't sure about blinking, or steady on. If you have room, why not put the clear LED's below some orange LED's. The orange ones could be used for turn signals. I'm terrible with electronics, so I'm not sure how that could be managed. I'd have it set so that the white/clear LED's would go off when the ornage turn signals came on, hopefully increasing visibility. How difficult would it to make the support arms in an airfoil shape?

Thanks for the comment. I made the mirrors small, but replaced the flat mirrors with convex glass for a better field of view. I have the bar ends as turns, and think that I will leave the mirror's amber LEDs at constantly on for better cage visibility. The arms were machined out of 6061. I could get a bigger piece and shape them using radius cutters or I could just get a piece of round. Their profile is small enough that I don't worry about turbulence. neither from the mirror or the mount. I read about motorcycle aerodynamics one time. Stated was that a brick with one end rounded would be more aerodynamic trailing the smooth than leading the airflow, all based on the turbulence. I am going to run some tests for vibrations and have some hair brained idea to use water as the dampening element. If I get that far I will show it.

Thanks for the comment. I made the mirrors small, but replaced the flat mirrors with convex glass for a better field of view. I have the bar ends as turns, and think that I will leave the mirror's amber LEDs at constantly on for better cage visibility. The arms were machined out of 6061. I could get a bigger piece and shape them using radius cutters or I could just get a piece of round. Their profile is small enough that I don't worry about turbulence. neither from the mirror or the mount. I read about motorcycle aerodynamics one time. Stated was that a brick with one end rounded would be more aerodynamic trailing the smooth than leading the airflow, all based on the turbulence. I am going to run some tests for vibrations and have some hair brained idea to use water as the dampening element. If I get that far I will show it.

I was thinking of an airfoil type design more for aesthetics than for any aerodynamic properties that might be gained. How visible are the bar end signals, they're pretty cool, but again, I'm not so good with running wires and getting things like that to work. I have regular delrin type bar ends, but I do track days on my VFR, so it's more of a protective thing, but I do like that idea as well.