another undertail exhaust done

kevwar

Well folks I finally got the exhaust done on my 94. As usual it took much more work than I expected but the results are better than I had hoped for. I used a CBR1000 muffler or at least the back half of it. The chrome tips are cheap parts from a VW shop. I just used a U bend that you can get from any exhaust supplier and some scrap metal to patch everything back together. The big issue was clearance for the tire, which required mounting the muffler quite high in the rear sub-frame. I wanted the exhaust pipe to look factory and fit snug so I had to remote mount the rear brake master cylinder and modify the heat shield. I ended up removing the entire inner fender and making a new battery box then adding sides the the sub-frame with sheet aluminum.

gallery_19563_5337_102271.jpg

AUT_4774.JPG

gallery_19563_5337_72426.jpg

AUT_4773.JPG

I also just got a set of hard bags and modified the brackets to work with my bike. This project was easy and done in about one day. Next comes some powder coat, a new hugger and rear brake line.

I have also started collecting parts to upgrade the suspension. I have a fox shock for the rear and last night I bought an Attack triple and GSXR fork set. The forks are off a 1991 GSXR 1100 and I plan to sell them to help fund a set of R1 forks/brakes. The attack triple was built specifically for the 86 VFR, anyone know if there are any significant differences in the specs from 86 to 94 that would prevent me from using these as is?

Kev

gallery_19563_5337_13174.jpg

AUT_4770.JPG

• Member Contributer

It looks great, the dual tips look just like the Wolf system, nice job. And adapting the 6g bags is very cool. :fing02: Makes me wonder how hard it would be for the 5th gen bike.

I think we might like to see pictures of the work in progress, rather than just the finished product.

Anyone else?

YES! :goofy: :fing02:

About the Attack triples - if they were made to fit an 86 VFR, then they're not going to hold modern R1 forks. The R1 forks are much bigger where they pass through the triples.

• Member Contributer

can ya post up a few more pics of the hardbags/mounts? That sounds like it's got some possibilities.. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

That looks great, well done. :fing02:

I think we might like to see pictures of the work in progress, rather than just the finished product.

+1.gif

+1.gif

Yeah, lets see the nitty-gritty details.

GOOD JOB! :tour:

Oh, and here's a thread that might be of interest to you :goofy: :smile: :

can ya post up a few more pics of the hardbags/mounts? That sounds like it's got some possibilities.

I will take some more detailed pics of everything this weekend.

About the Attack triples, they were made to adapt modern forks to an 86. They have a standard 50/54 mm fork opening. I was more concerned about the stem length of the triples or bearing size.

Regarding the exhaust I would like to redo it in stainless this time. You know how it is the proto always looks a little rough. I think that will be another job for next winter, right now I just want to ride.

Kev

• Member Contributer

Pics would be great. Did you do the welding yourself? I'd be very curious to hear how the underseat heat management works out with the RR muffler. Do you ever get over to the valley during the summer months?

That looks like a better/tighter fit than the old Wolf system and without all the crazy tire clearance problems that came with it!

Congratulations on the great job on the undertail! Weird thing is, current "bike fashion" now dictates that thelatest motorcycles have the old conventional low mount right side exhaust routing :biggrin: . I still prefer the high right and undertail systems though. the ginormous low right system on the new 1200 is not looking good to me at all. :squid:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The end result looks very cool. :biggrin:

And I agree with the other about the "in progress" pics. :squid:

• Member Contributer

X 32 on the pics of your 6th GEN hard bag adaptation. As far as I'm concerned it's the only thing wrong with my '97-no clean hard bag install for it. Looks like you've got the solution. BEAUTIFUL job.

• 1 month later...

Ok so where are the how toos? Id be interested in seeing more how you attached the tips. I like the look a bit better than my 600rr muffler. I have no idea how you got the 1000 muffler up there as the one I have is too wide for the subframe. Post up some pics of the up pipe and all. If you find it needs more clearence I have some tail risers I had made up. Brian

Link to my build here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/51285-gen-4-poll-for-which-exhast-under-tail-to-mod/page__p__611252__hl__4th+gen+undertail__fromsearch__1#entry611252

IMG_2304-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

can ya post up a few more pics of the hardbags/mounts? That sounds like it's got some possibilities.

I will take some more detailed pics of everything this weekend.

About the Attack triples, they were made to adapt modern forks to an 86. They have a standard 50/54 mm fork opening. I was more concerned about the stem length of the triples or bearing size.

Regarding the exhaust I would like to redo it in stainless this time. You know how it is the proto always looks a little rough. I think that will be another job for next winter, right now I just want to ride.

Kev

Bike looks fantastic. I'm powdercoating my rims white first chance I get too. When I put F2 forks on my 86 vfr I had to swap the steering stems as the CBR S/S was quite a bit shorter than the VFRs. Sounds interesting keep us posted.

• Member Contributer

gallery_19563_5337_13174.jpg

AUT_4770.JPG

Kev,

That is just super sharp! Nice job integrating the gen6 bags on the gen4 tail!

Ron

• 1 year later...