Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee 2002

Harbor Freight Tire Changer - Truck Hitch Mount

I know it's been done before. But I just wanted you guys to see the hitch mount I built for my Harbor Freight tire changer. I have been reluctant to bolt the changer to my garage floor. This seems like a good work-around for the time being.

Height is fully adjustable. I can interchange different things into the hitch mount. Right now I have a spindle for the tire changer and a mount for a 6" vise built. Not sure what other options I could make, open to ideas.... one thing the wife suggested was comfortable seat for fishing backed up to a pond.

Spindle for mounting the tire changer:

4527562312_798513841a_b.jpg

Tire Changer mounted on the spindle:

4527562412_6412ecc534_b.jpg

Changer in use:

4526934285_6352488f4c_b.jpg

Using the vise attachement to hold my wheel balancer:

4526934383_1cb99bfe06_b.jpg

If you can integrate the bead breaker into the tire changer hitch it would be perfect for portable use like say @ the track..

Maybe a way to break the bead with the wheel standing up..

I would buy one then.. (if you wanted to make more)

If you can integrate the bead breaker into the tire changer hitch it would be perfect for portable use like say @ the track..

In a pinch, the vise could be used to break the bead. I never really put much thought into travelling around with the whole mess... it was more just an effort to keep from drilling holes in the floor. The bead breaker actually works quite well setting on the ground un-bolted just as you see it. It could be thrown in the back of the truck loose and set in the paddock just as you see it here.

Sorry, I can't make more.

Looks good--I've got the same changer mounted to my garage floor--but--I'd like something a little more portable. BTW--what are the plastic rim protectors you got screwed to your wheel holders? Something you came up with?--I'd like to do something like that to protect the wheels!

BTW--what are the plastic rim protectors you got screwed to your wheel holders? Something you came up with?--I'd like to do something like that to protect the wheels!

Yeah, just some small pieces of some kind of plastic I grabbed. I have no idea what it is, but it works. I have heard of people cutting up shampoo bottles to do the same thing. Just drill some holes through the rim grabbers and bend the plastic to fit.

BTW--what are the plastic rim protectors you got screwed to your wheel holders? Something you came up with?--I'd like to do something like that to protect the wheels!

Yeah, just some small pieces of some kind of plastic I grabbed. I have no idea what it is, but it works. I have heard of people cutting up shampoo bottles to do the same thing. Just drill some holes through the rim grabbers and bend the plastic to fit.

GREAT idea thanks (I'm stealing it)!! LOL

In a pinch, the vise could be used to break the bead. I never really put much thought into travelling around with the whole mess... it was more just an effort to keep from drilling holes in the floor. The bead breaker actually works quite well setting on the ground un-bolted just as you see it. It could be thrown in the back of the truck loose and set in the paddock just as you see it here.

Sorry, I can't make more.

Before these "fancy" items hit the streets, I used to use the jack that came with my car and set up 2X4's below the rim. Then place the jack on the bead and crank away. There were times the car (an 87 Toyota Cressida) would lift off the ground but by standing on the bumper and giving a little bounce, the bead would give and the tire change would begin.

I would not hesitate to use that method again if I had to. I never once scratched or marred a wheel with it.

What kind of mount/demount bar are you using?

Home made from black iron pipe patterened on NoMar with ABS tips.

Looks good--I've got the same changer mounted to my garage floor--but--I'd like something a little more portable. BTW--what are the plastic rim protectors you got screwed to your wheel holders? Something you came up with?--I'd like to do something like that to protect the wheels!

I use mojo-blocks and a no-mar bar with my HF setup. Closeups of the blocks with a link in this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/47328-adding-mojo-blocks-and-no-mar-bar-to-hf-tire-changer/page__p__572769__fromsearch__1entry572769

I use mojo-blocks and a no-mar bar with my HF setup. Closeups of the blocks with a link in this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/47328-adding-mojo-blocks-and-no-mar-bar-to-hf-tire-changer/page__p__572769__fromsearch__1entry572769

Yea, I mounted the mojo blocks on my HF changer too. The problem I have is that the rim of the wheel "slips" on the mojo blocks when trying to remove the tire from the wheel. Maybe I don't tighten it up on the changer enough??

You can easily make your own rim clamps by purchasing a regular nylon cutting board from your local housewares store and then use a dremmel to cut and shape it. Then you just need to drill holes and mount it.

Rollin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.