Subframe failure on 6th gen

DDO-VFR

• Member Contributer

Make the call! I can use it for something, even if that something turns out to be a lawn ornament... :tour:

You definately have an affliction Seb...... tongue.gif lol

• 7 years later...

Its steel.  You could probably bend it 90 degrees and not have it break.   Therefore it must be metal fatigue.  Any resonant vibrations that you know of?

Interference between the exhaust and subframe sending engine vibration into the subframe.   Did the metal seem unusually hard?  I would expect a low carbon steel here which should bend  before cracking.   If they used a carbon steel perhaps it was not properly tempered after hardening.   

Unless it was mishandled at the factory and not tempered after hardening or unless Honda has forgotten destructive resonance and designed another Pugent narrows bridge  this does not seem like a feasible occurrence for the materials which should have been there.    If the broken part is still available can you determine its Rockwell hardness?   I'm not an expert on Honda steel but my guess is if the Rockwell is higher than mid 50s it was not properly tempered after heat treatment.   That makes it a manufacturing defect.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, CathyEveridge said:

Its steel.  You could probably bend it 90 degrees and not have it break.   Therefore it must be metal fatigue.  Any resonant vibrations that you know of?

Interference between the exhaust and subframe sending engine vibration into the subframe.   Did the metal seem unusually hard?  I would expect a low carbon steel here which should bend  before cracking.   If they used a carbon steel perhaps it was not properly tempered after hardening.   

Unless it was mishandled at the factory and not tempered after hardening or unless Honda has forgotten destructive resonance and designed another Pugent narrows bridge  this does not seem like a feasible occurrence for the materials which should have been there.    If the broken part is still available can you determine its Rockwell hardness?   I'm not an expert on Honda steel but my guess is if the Rockwell is higher than mid 50s it was not properly tempered after heat treatment.   That makes it a manufacturing defect.

FYI that post was about 7 years old

Archived