Helmet Locks for the 6th Gen VFR

Guest BASFjon

Guest BASFjon

Motion-Pro Helmet Locks for your 6th Gen VFR

gallery_13792_5277_2524.jpg

gallery_13792_5277_1289454.jpg

gallery_13792_5277_298824.jpg

The Story

I do a lot of 2-up riding with the wife, and we’ve been running into an issue with not having room in the Saddlebags for the Helmets over the Jackets and Gear for the late cold rides back at night. I came across a post of a guy who had bought a universal helmet lock and bolted it to the frame tube on his VFR that runs just below the front portion of the seat.

So I located a Bolt-on Helmet Lock in the Dennis Kirk Catalog (free if you sign up for one at their website) – and took measurements of the frame tube. The VFR tube is 1” exactly. The only available Locks are in 7/8” and 1”. Oddly enough, the only ones in Black are the 7/8” Locks. Chrome is the other option – but it’s the only one that fits the VFR.

I looked at the lock in the picture and decided what the hell. The 7/8” ones could be ground open a bit, and the bolts where long enough to bridge the gap it would make. So I bought two of the 7/8” Black Locks - because it’s just two crowded for two Helmet on one lock-set; and this way there would be one Lock per side.

When I got them in I found that mounting it to the rear of the bar against the passenger footpeg bracket would be the best spot because in the forward position in would rub my leg. I also rotated it downward so that it wouldn’t stick out (it’s somewhat tall), and so that I wouldn’t have to cut the plastic cover pieces beneath the seats.

I ground out the locks on the sides and trimmed them a bit. Then I moved them into position and mounted them. The only modification that needed to be made was on the Right side of the VFR in the lower Plastic Piece as seen in the picture (below the right tube). It has to be notched for the backside bracket of the lock to clear the tube. On the Left side, the backside bracket had to be inserted at the front of the tube and slid backwards, pushing on the battery cover and sliding it into the final position at the back side.

The Bolts aren’t black – and it’s something I am going to eventually work on, but they are designed to prevent someone from turning the Bolts (Machine Screws) back out.

Overall I am pleases with them. Other Bikes like the Honda Shadow and a lot of the Kawasaki Cruiser/Streetbikes (not sport) have these as add-on options. In fact, something I considered exploring was to look up these bikes and seeing if they came in Black. One big reason why I did not paint a chrome one myself is that a key would easily scratch the paint off it. And powdercoating one is complicated because the powder gets sucked into the lock mechanism and there are moving parts and such – I just was thinking it would be easier to modify a black one and install it – and I am happy with what I’ve worked out.

gallery_13792_5277_1965348.jpg

gallery_13792_5277_1805630.jpg

gallery_13792_5277_692493.jpg

gallery_13792_5277_2513653.jpg

Sourcing Parts

Dennis Kirk Catalog #501385

(enter the above in a google search for the Dennis Kirk Product Description Page)

Motion Pro 7/8 in. Mount Black Helmet Lock

$22.99 a set, $45.98 for two sets, $6.95 for UPS Shipping, for a Total of $52.93

• Member Contributer

Nice! But I would be concerned about having them so close to the engine heat, unless you let it cool off before hanging them there.

Guest BASFjon

Nice! But I would be concerned about having them so close to the engine heat, unless you let it cool off before hanging them there.

oh I've never had a problem what-so-ever with them being in that area, it's really not any bit hot at all. The only thing I've ever had happen was a rouge spider getting into the helmet and at speed crawling up the facemask, and sometimes get some fog from say a rainstorm, and litely wet neck padding because of it - but that's any helmet lock.

Guest BASFjon

I'll have to take some pictures of it when it's not raining out and a video of locking in a helmet...it's a very convenient setup to have. Just have no idea what-so-ever why Honda doesn't include these on more of their bikes, or at least make this an option?

Guest VifferDude

Why doesn't anyone use the helmet lock/hanger that comes with the VFR?. IMHO it's better than after market. You don't have to carry extra keys etc

• Member Contributer

Why doesn't anyone use the helmet lock/hanger that comes with the VFR?. IMHO it's better than after market. You don't have to carry extra keys etc

:rolleyes: Did I miss something??? :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

oh I've never had a problem what-so-ever with them being in that area, it's really not any bit hot at all. The only thing I've ever had happen was a rouge spider getting into the helmet and at speed crawling up the facemask, and sometimes get some fog from say a rainstorm, and litely wet neck padding because of it - but that's any helmet lock.

I was just referring to the following standard manufacturer's warning...

It is not wise to store helmets near gasoline, cleaning fluids, exhaust

fumes, or excessive heat.These factors can result in the degradation of

helmet materials, and often the damage goes unnoticed by the

wearer. Read the information that comes with the helmet so you

know how to care for it.

But as you say, maybe there isn't enough heat in that area to be of concern.

Guest VifferDude

:cheerleader: Did I miss something??? :woohoo:

gallery_14066_5279_839913.jpg

IMG_0295.JPG

gallery_14066_5279_540364.jpg

IMG_0298.JPG

• Member Contributer

:blink: Did I miss something??? :blink:

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

Went out and popped my seat after I posted that - had never noticed those convenient little hooks before... :woohoo: Duhhh

Guess I should RTFM.. :cheerleader:

Guest BASFjon

:rolleyes: Did I miss something??? :blink:

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

ha...I never knew what those were for till now....they look pretty strong. Guess I can carry a couple of midget people on each saddlebag including a passenger with all those helmet locks now...lol

Edited by BASFjon

• Member Contributer

The seat is always a pita to take off then on, I use a bar that attaches to license plate frame, holds 2 lids, works with oem bags, easy, called the helmet guardian......watch the video, I have these on all my bikes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJr-H_KuAI

I don't mean to jack this thread--but I once locked my helmet on my 'busa and ran into the store for just a couple of minutes. When I came out--my helmet was gone! Some one cut the strap and stole my brand new Icon! Now I NEVER leave it on the bike. Just goes to show that some people will steal anything--so be careful out there!