5th gen R1 front end?

Guest tarun

Guest tarun

Saw the thread on the R1 front end install which seems to be a better option than the RC51. Will it work on a 5th gen? If so, what year forks should I be keeping an eye out for?

Hi Tarun,

You need spacers regardless of what year of R1 forks you go with - the R1 tripleclamps space the forks at 210mm from centre to centre, whereas the SP1/929/954 triples are 214mm.

So for 1998-2003 forks, you need a 2mm spacer on the axle on either side of the wheel, and 2mm spacers to move the calipers out on each side.

For 2004+ forks, same axle spacers as above, but as they have radial calipers you need to space the rotors out instead (and get longer rotor bolts).

After that it's just a matter of bars (Convertibars seem the best bet with stock bodywork), clearance (ensuring the forks don't hit bits of fairing or the oil cooler when going lock to lock), and brakelines (Hel will make custom length lines)... that's more or less it.

The later front end has a 5-spoke wheel, earlier has a 3-spoke. You could put a Triumph SSS hub into the VFR swingarm and run a 3-spoke Triumph rear wheel; the cheaper purchase cost of the pre-2004 R1 forks might leave some $$ free to do the rear end - and it would look quite different to the sea of Frankenviffers out there :laughing6-hehe:

Guest tarun

Hi Tarun,

You need spacers regardless of what year of R1 forks you go with - the R1 tripleclamps space the forks at 210mm from centre to centre, whereas the SP1/929/954 triples are 214mm.

So for 1998-2003 forks, you need a 2mm spacer on the axle on either side of the wheel, and 2mm spacers to move the calipers out on each side.

For 2004+ forks, same axle spacers as above, but as they have radial calipers you need to space the rotors out instead (and get longer rotor bolts).

After that it's just a matter of bars (Convertibars seem the best bet with stock bodywork), clearance (ensuring the forks don't hit bits of fairing or the oil cooler when going lock to lock), and brakelines (Hel will make custom length lines)... that's more or less it.

The later front end has a 5-spoke wheel, earlier has a 3-spoke. You could put a Triumph SSS hub into the VFR swingarm and run a 3-spoke Triumph rear wheel; the cheaper purchase cost of the pre-2004 R1 forks might leave some $$ free to do the rear end - and it would look quite different to the sea of Frankenviffers out there :laughing6-hehe:

Awesome - thanks. 3 spokes would be pretty sweet... Out of the different R1 forks, is there a preferred year where the forks are better? I was looking through threads and also noted some people were doing ZX10 forks as well.

Although this stuff is probably not on the menu for this year, I kind of want to have a shopping list together so I can keep an eye out for deals. Not sure what the current state of the art in fork swaps is - but the R1 fork people seem to feel it is better than the RC51 swap.

The reasons I spent the extra bucks on a 2004 R1 front end were for the radial calipers and the lightweight front wheel. The radial calipers were mainly desirable for looks; there's nothing much wrong with the 1998-2003 R1 stoppers... and likewise the forks are pretty good on the earlier model.

The 2007 R1 went to six-pot brake calipers but testers said they weren't much different in performance to the 4-pot ones on 2004-2006 bikes.

Forgot to mention, the front guard (fender) needs to be either fitted with spacers too, or just stretched a bit. The 2006+ guard goes onto the 2004-05 front end but is thinner and lighter.

Best way to go is to try to get the whole lot at once, and be sure to check that it's all straight - if there's one negative to the R1 forks it's that they are nowhere near as strong as SP1 forks. Mine were bent (uppers) despite the sellers assurances that they were straight.

• Member Contributer
You could put a Triumph SSS hub into the VFR swingarm and run a 3-spoke Triumph rear wheel

To the best of my knowledge, this has only been done by mrmatt on a 4th gen. Could probably be done on a 3rd gen as it is nearly identical in this respect to the 4th, but the 5th and 6th gen final drives are different sizes with different brake stay linkage setups. Not impossible, but would require some figuring out.

sa1713 and I looked at the Triumph hub pretty closely and he finally figured it would fit the 4th gen arm but never found a way to put it in the 5th/6th gen model. Firstly, I think it would require a cylindrical spacer for the swingarm - I've only seen one vfrd member that claimed to have done this, but never saw evidence of it actually assembled. Secondly you would have to figure out how to make the Triumph brake stay work - on the 3rd/4th gen VFR the stay attaches to the upper (top) side of the swingarm similarly to the Triumph, while on the 5th/6th gen VFR the stay attaches to the lower (inner) side of the swingarm. Redmarque had his brake stay cut and rewelded to adapt a CBR rear brake caliper in place of the OEM 3-piston VFR800 caliper. I would think a similar modification would be required to use the Triumph stay and caliper.

Guest tarun

...if there's one negative to the R1 forks it's that they are nowhere near as strong as SP1 forks. Mine were bent (uppers) despite the sellers assurances that they were straight.

So would it make more sense to go the ZX route?

Well the ZX-10R is 50mm upper and 54mm lower, but I'm not sure about overall fork length - although I do know that the 2005 ZX-10R uppers are 10mm longer than the 2004 R1 uppers - the Kawasaki forums might have info on this as they are mad about front end swaps (lots of ZX stuff going onto Kasawaki nakeds etc.).

I think the fork spacing on the ZX-10R is 210mm, same as R1, so the same spacer requirements etc. would apply.

• Member Contributer

Why is it everything I read with Kawasaki ZX forks says 43mm.

What is this 43mm? Inner tube?

Yes.

Cheers, :fing02:

Tarun, we're in the same boat... mind if I tag along?

Yes.

Cheers, :fing02:

I am working on an R1 conversion for my 3rd generation. I went with the R1 because when I was looking to buy something the R1 stuff was available and inexpensive (Complete R1 front end $200.00). I went with 929 lower triples and the spacing is 4mm off (2 mm each side) I spaced the calipers in 2 mm and had the R1 spacers duplicated (I wanted to use the dust caps) but added 2mm to each. The stock spacer is on the left the milled spacer is on the right.

R1 - Forks and Calipers

R1 - Axle

R6 - (2004 because the rotor size is 300mm) 5 spoke Rim

Guest tarun

Yes.

Cheers, :biggrin:

Sure thing. RC51 front ends just seem to be too difficult to find in good shape around here. Plus with the benign reports from the R1 crowd, it just seemed like not a bad idea.

Now if I can just find a good job to fund these plans. How is the job market for random foreigners down in Australia wink.gif ?

• Member Contributer

I don't think the immigration dept likes to see the words "random foreigner". Not unless you're gonna spend money, take some pictures, then leave.

Lining up a working visa with credentials/qualifications is a good bet.

But you will be disappointed with the number of RC51 forks here.

I won't mention the absolute rarity of wheels.

You will more-than-likely come to Australia, and end up buying from the states.

Pricing and availablity is much better there.

There are plenty of options with front ends but looks like R1, ZX and CBR fronts fit the bill with a bit of tinkering.

I'm favouring CBR1000RR forks with radials, as they should bolt straight up with as little shimming as possible... plus they come in silver and parts are everywhere.

I also like the ZX10 forks (and wheel) but am unknown to costs of rotor and axle spacers.

I'm slowly collecting bits till I'm ready to pull her apart. Rear shock, lower and upper triples are arriving soon.

Guest tarun

I don't think the immigration dept likes to see the words "random foreigner". Not unless you're gonna spend money, take some pictures, then leave.

Lining up a working visa with credentials/qualifications is a good bet.

But you will be disappointed with the number of RC51 forks here.

I won't mention the absolute rarity of wheels.

You will more-than-likely come to Australia, and end up buying from the states.

Pricing and availablity is much better there.

There are plenty of options with front ends but looks like R1, ZX and CBR fronts fit the bill with a bit of tinkering.

I'm favouring CBR1000RR forks with radials, as they should bolt straight up with as little shimming as possible... plus they come in silver and parts are everywhere.

I also like the ZX10 forks (and wheel) but am unknown to costs of rotor and axle spacers.

I'm slowly collecting bits till I'm ready to pull her apart. Rear shock, lower and upper triples are arriving soon.

I have to admit, the idea of sticking with Honda parts does appeal to me. Are CBR1000RR forks long enough?

I can't imagine they need US lawyer/former physicians over there - so visas might be hard to come by.

• Member Contributer

From the replies I've been getting, the 04-05 CBR fork length is 724mm (axle to cap)

I'm planning to use a 929/954 upper so the gullwing esign allows a little leeway.

Does anyone have the stock 98-01 VFR (free sag) fork length?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• Member Contributer

Thought I would give this a bump along... Probably not the best place to question pop.

Can anyone confirm the measurement I got? And the stock 5thgen length?

It's very close to a 929/954 fork length (1mm diff)

:warranty: