SEBSPEED

Did this over the last weekend, took all 5 pcs of a 4th gen tail and fused them into one piece. Thought you guys might like to see &/or try it. I just have parts pics right now, I'll add some tool and product pics a little later. I used my trusty Dremel with a round cutting bit to groove the seams, and the PlastiFix is made by Urethane Supply Company. The process is tedious, but this is the strongest/most solid plastic repair method I've used yet.

Started w/ the left side tail panel, and clamped the lower rear piece to it. Grooved it w/ the Dremel, and added the tape because it wasn't sitting perfectly with the vice grip alone:

PICT1235.jpg

Add PlastiFix:

PICT1238.jpg

15 min later... Strong!

PICT1246.jpg

Lather, rinse, repeat. I added the right side tail panel next(along with bolting the top center piece in place):

PICT1248.jpg

Then fused in the top center, and then the half moon. Taillight is bolted in place for support.

PICT1251.jpg

PICT1250.jpg

PICT1254.jpg

PICT1253.jpg

You can see I fixed a crack in the half moon piece too.

PlastiFix: http://www.urethanes...&Category_Code=http://www.urethanes...stifixhowto.php

• Member Contributer

Seb,

You forgot to post a picture of the beers you'll need to complete the job succesfully.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer

So. . . maybe it's just becasue I completely lack all of the parts in this thread. But I was wondering. . . what's the benefit to this?

aside from the "because I can" and "becasue it makes it unique" which I do think are very valid reasons.

By the way, I'll keep the PlastiFix in mind, I'm sure I'll put it to use sometime.

The benefit is that, it is well known for the 4th Gen tailpieces to crack and eventually break through. Making it all into one piece would, I imagine, strengthen it considerably. Good idea.

So. . . maybe it's just becasue I completely lack all of the parts in this thread. But I was wondering. . . what's the benefit to this?

aside from the "because I can" and "becasue it makes it unique" which I do think are very valid reasons.

By the way, I'll keep the PlastiFix in mind, I'm sure I'll put it to use sometime.

rc36Honda has your answer above. The 5 old pieces of plastic that comprise the VFR tail are notorious for turning into a house of cards over time; too much vibration and heat/cold combined with many isolated stress points(all the small screws and tabs that hold the pieces in place), make for many cracks and failure points.

Seb,

You forgot to post a picture of the beers you'll need to complete the job succesfully.

Regards,

Rollin

Under ideal conditions, this would be a 2-3 beer job(not 2-3 Miller Lites, btw, good stuff!!). However, if you're working with the windows and doors shut like I was due to weather/whatever, the "lovely scent" of the chemicals will be enough to knock you for a loop... get fresh air often! I highly recommend reading the MSDS sheet on this stuff before using. The package looks innocent enough, possible bodily harm is not!

The unfortunate side of this is you have to paint it afterwards....Seb may be capable of that, but many are not. I was wondering the same "why" question, but it makes sense now.

The unfortunate side of this is you have to paint it afterwards....Seb may be capable of that, but many are not. I was wondering the same "why" question, but it makes sense now.

Hey, if you can push a button...

Timmy.jpg

:cheerleader:

Man that is awesome I wish I had thought to do that to mine when I rebuilt it. Mine is now a 4 piece. We were missing so much plastic that connected the right side and under that we molded it into one piece, should have done it for the whole thing, that's going to look very clean when you get done with it.

• Member Contributer

Seb,

forgot to ask when I was talking to ya... can you sand/shape the stuff after it sets up? Does it actually act like normal plastic or does it act more like a solid glue.. you said it was pretty rigid compared to, say, ABS glue.

Seb,

forgot to ask when I was talking to ya... can you sand/shape the stuff after it sets up? Does it actually act like normal plastic or does it act more like a solid glue.. you said it was pretty rigid compared to, say, ABS glue.

It cuts & sands like ABS plastic. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

You don't have to stop there. I think I forsee a need for more plastic welding and paint in your near future :cheerleader:

You don't have to stop there. I think I forsee a need for more plastic welding and paint in your near future :lurk:

Yeah, I keep hearing that... lots of talk & no action! You had a whole trailer to put your stuff in last time! :warranty:

Just messin w/ ya Yosh :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

You don't have to stop there. I think I forsee a need for more plastic welding and paint in your near future :warranty:

Yosh, we need to coordinate... 3 people renting a paint booth gets even cheaper.. wink.gif although we'd better come up w/ some REALLY good suds for Seb, to actually go for this plan.

Great idea, my plastics still look decent but am starting to get cracks in the usual spots...

Looking forward to see the finished result :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I keep hearing that... lots of talk & no action! You had a whole trailer to put your stuff in last time! :cheerleader:

:warranty:

Still... :lurk:

You don't have to stop there. I think I forsee a need for more plastic welding and paint in your near future :cheerleader:

Yosh, we need to coordinate... 3 people renting a paint booth gets even cheaper.. wink.gif although we'd better come up w/ some REALLY good suds for Seb, to actually go for this plan.

3 is gonna get a little crowded - and I hope at least 2 want the same color... or you're getting "fade" jobs! tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

3 is gonna get a little crowded - and I hope at least 2 want the same color... or you're getting "fade" jobs! tongue.gif

There's more than one fastest color? :lurk:

• Member Contributer

rc36Honda has your answer above. The 5 old pieces of plastic that comprise the VFR tail is notorious for turning into a house of cards over time; too much vibration and heat/cold combined with many isolated stress points(all the small screws and tabs that hold the pieces in place), make for many cracks and failure points.

Sounds like you should just go to a custom subframe and get rid of the plastic all together. . .

Makes sense now, thanks.

• Member Contributer

Nice work, Seb.

I am working up the mental fortitude to begin fixing my broken plastics and Plastifix will come in handy.

Timmy paint will be used as well :huh:

After reading the description of Plasitfix on their website, I wonder if its delivery is followed by a visit from your friendly DEA agent. :warranty:

This kit includes 30 grams of WHITE powder, 50 ml of liquid, one molding bar, two application needles, two applicator cups, and one transfer pipet.

Archived