Custom Laser Underseat Project

sa1713

• Member Contributer

Page two as the pic limit was rev'd...

Dan then went after the license plate bracket with gusto. He suggested a bit of Ti and I almost fell over. He said that in sheets, it was not too bad and besides, it will look cool. He was right. So very right...

post-2785-127156016165_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127156016314_thumb.jpg

Here's what the license plate looks like now.

post-2785-127156022719_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127156021132_thumb.jpg

And now the rest of the money shots...

post-2785-127156028363_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127156030348_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127156024672_thumb.jpg

post-2785-127156033937_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127156031901_thumb.jpg

Back when ScootR installed Lasers on his 6th gen, I really liked the look.

I've been able to take a listen to these and it is a bit louder than the Staintune I had. Maybe that's because the exit is behind me and not knocked down by the wind. But boy do they sound sweet. I will attempt a sound bit here soon.

I'm very pleased that after 3 years of planning and reworking and waiting and procrastinating it is finally finished. Dan was able to take my goofy underseat idea and create what I believe to be some of the best looking pipe work around. He is a pleasure to work with and besides, he's a movie buff.

If anyone is looking for an underseat mod for their 5th gen, I highly recommend Dan. I'm thinking of having a system made for my mower just to see what he could cook up...

Jim

Wow, Jim - that's really nice work. :cheerleader:

Does this replace the rear headers and collector too?

One thing I'd really like to do with my bike is replace the catalytic convertor with a collector. Not for performance or anything other than it looks really ugly, limits space by the lower shock mount, and I suspect transfers heat to the shock body because of its proximity.

Also, the standard headers are such low-grade stainless that they always look like crap.

• Member Contributer

Wow, Jim - that's really nice work. :cheerleader:

Does this replace the rear headers and collector too?

One thing I'd really like to do with my bike is replace the catalytic convertor with a collector. Not for performance or anything other than it looks really ugly, limits space by the lower shock mount, and I suspect transfers heat to the shock body because of its proximity.

Also, the standard headers are such low-grade stainless that they always look like crap.

Dan's work did not touch the header. That was a find in itself...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a sound clip of the exhaust but it will not upload to photobucket as it is a wma file. Any help is appreciated.

I have a sound clip of the exhaust but it will not upload to photobucket as it is a wma file. Any help is appreciated.

Can you import the file into Movie Maker - then upload that new file to photobucket?

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

SWEET!

With some smart planning and sourcing of materials and fabrication, I would imagine this could be a marketable system, granted only towards the few that want to really tweak their 5th gens. You should definitely try to create a 3-D CAD model of the system, if you haven't already done so, just in case duplicates will be made.

It would also be nice to get some full dyno info on this system, so that you can compare it with stock and aftermarket cans.

My only real complaint of undertail exhaust, like yours and almost all new bikes, is the lack of rear storage space. Look forward to how you resolve this problem... hard bags maybe ;)

Archived