Custom Laser Underseat Project

sa1713

• Member Contributer

A few years ago Rob fired up a custom dual Devil can underseat project that just looked awesome. I really like the 6th gen's open wheel and I could not find a Wolf system.

So with a bunch of help from VFRCAPN and Rob, I started out on my own project.

I decided to use Laser Xtreme cans, they were shorter than Rob's and about the same diameter.

I first mocked them up and then began fabbing the tray and some hanging brackets.

post-2785-126799700263_thumb.jpg

post-2785-12679970764_thumb.jpg

I used an OEM rear fender and cut it up to provide a battery box and the rear anchor posts for the tail light.

I also used an R6 license plate holder and inverted it for mounting.

post-2785-12679972165_thumb.jpg

I was finally able to get some time to pop the tray into a spare subframe and then swap that onto the bike.

post-2785-126799733804_thumb.jpg

post-2785-126799736705_thumb.jpg

post-2785-126799741749_thumb.jpg

post-2785-126799744064_thumb.jpg

post-2785-126799746154_thumb.jpg

It is supposed to rain this week which will wash away some of the winter chunks. I hope to have this to the pipe dude so he can work his magic.

I'll attach an OEM tail light and license plate bracket later.

I think I have enough clearance for the wheel's travel. I'll post up with that when I get it.

Jim

Color me jealous, that looks great!

Make sure your "pipe dude" makes the up-pipe as close to the RH lower subframe spar as he can and the Y junction as high up as possible!

Also, you'll have to shim your shock, or use a 4th gen dogbone, or increase your shock's ride height (if you have an adjustable aftermarket shock).

• Member Contributer

Make sure your "pipe dude" makes the up-pipe as close to the RH lower subframe spar as he can and the Y junction as high up as possible!

Also, you'll have to shim your shock, or use a 4th gen dogbone, or increase your shock's ride height (if you have an adjustable aftermarket shock).

I'm thinking about having the pipe dude squash the Y like the 6th gen's so that I'll have as much space possible. Rob, how much ride height do you add? I've got a WP shock with that adjustment and you'll be able to give me a starting point.

Jim

• Member Contributer

I got the Lasers from Speigler USA during a fire sale. I've been sitting on them for 3 years.....

What are you doing with the other two cans and the midpipes?

I got the Lasers from Speigler USA during a fire sale. I've been sitting on them for 3 years.....

What are you doing with the other two cans and the midpipes?

If they exist, I already called dibs in post #2... :rolleyes: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If they exist, I already called dibs in post #2... :rolleyes: :goofy:

Crap! I forgot about that... Actually, you'd probably do something much cooler with them than I could--if they even exist.

I'm thinking about having the pipe dude squash the Y like the 6th gen's so that I'll have as much space possible. Rob, how much ride height do you add? I've got a WP shock with that adjustment and you'll be able to give me a starting point.

Jim

Yes, squashed Y is the way to go.

As for the shock, I shimmed the upper mount until the lower eye of the shock was almost touching the dogbone. You can extend your WP shock as much as allowable (don't forget to leave a decent amount of threads engaged for security, the shock manual should tell you that) and if that doesn't do it, you can then shim the upper mount.

• Member Contributer

Rob,

When you get a chance, could you skip on out to your beauty and take a measurement from the top of your hugger to the bottom of the lowest point(s)? Not sure if you have the hugger or even the swingarm on but that would be a great help.

As far as extra Lasers, I don't have any but I believe Speigler may have a couple of show displays laying around. That's how I got them. Cold called them and doink, what do you know......

The next mod to be done if this system works out will be to crop an OEM seat pan and send it to Sargent for padding/covering. Driver only and that will create a big storage bin... I'll also dump the rear passenger hangers/pegs.

If this does not work out, SEB, you get first dibs.

Rob,

When you get a chance, could you skip on out to your beauty and take a measurement from the top of your hugger to the bottom of the lowest point(s)? Not sure if you have the hugger or even the swingarm on but that would be a great help.

Hugger has been ripped off as it was damaged irreparably in the crash.

I can measure from the tire to the Y junction, which for me is the lowest point, or at least where I used to get mild contact.

• Member Contributer

A few years ago Rob fired up a custom dual Devil can underseat project that just looked awesome. I really like the 6th gen's open wheel and I could not find a Wolf system.

So with a bunch of help from VFRCAPN and Rob, I started out on my own project.

I decided to use Laser Xtreme cans, they were shorter than Rob's and about the same diameter.

Hey, that looks familiar...

gallery_362_402_83098.jpg

:goofy:

I originally purchased a set of CBR600RR road-legal Lasers, but I've since acquired a later set (also a former display model from some dealer in the UK), just like yours, as they look better able to handle 837ccs... The inlets on the two styles are different, though, and Laser wants something like UKP30 (each!) for the two "race" adapter pipes (which are about 3" long), so I need to fab something if I'm ever going to get them fitted...

I'll be watching your progress, as I've also got a certain yellow 5th-gen which is just begging for an underseat exhaust system...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I'm going to use an insert to help with noise and such. Here are two types I picked up from a board member a while ago. They will go inside the inlet of each can and will be pinned there by the exhaust pipe.

The short thin one is too restrictive for my tastes and the larger diameter/longer one is well, too long.

I'm going to have a hybrid fab'd using the small insert, cutting out the current tube and welding one in of 15mm diameter with length in between the two. I'm using the Staintune's restrictor diameter to guide me on the Laser's.

post-2785-126817999625_thumb.jpg

You might not need any restrictors.

The Lasers are meant to run with 4 pipes and since you are only using two, it may not be as noisy.

I'd say start without them and see how it goes.

FWIW, my Devil cans have 1-5/8" internal diameters.

• Member Contributer

Thank you Gents, I'll try it first without them.

Oh, are yours from a VTEC or a 600RR? My newer ones are from the latter, but they look just like yours. The 600RR uses a separate chamber that mounts in front of the two cans and the restrictors actually fit into that chamber, rather than into the cans. The "race" one is nothing but a short length of tubing (so, not really a restrictor at all) and the "road" one looks like the long one in your pics, but half as long. Although it was included, I probably won't use the chamber, so I'd be curious to see what you come up with--assuming you do go on to make them.

I, too, will first go "au naturel", because if the sound is tolerable, the set-up should even be "UK-road legal", as the correct E-mark is stamped onto the outside of each end can.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure which bike mine were designed for, but there is no chamber prior to the inlet. The chamber is actually recessed into the inlet of the can and the restrictors slide in there. The can's inlet sits almost flush with the base of the can.

• Member Contributer

If you want to find out what your setup will sound like before you commit to something, try to find some different diameter pipes (anywhere from 1.25" to 1.625" ID) and play with the length that the pipe sticks inside of the tube -- just wrap the pipe with a rag to take up the space, and vary how far the restrictor sticks inside the Laser. The exhaust tone will vary accordingly. Bigger diameter pipes = louder & more bass.

Just for reference, the restrictor I made for my pipe has a 1.625" ID, is substantially quieter than running the 2.5" pipe wide open, and does not present any real power loss. Make sure you flare the opening of the restrictor to avoid flow losses -- the bigger the entry radius, the better (there's a reason why the velocity stacks in your airbox have that big donut on top).

Edit: I forgot you are running 2 pipes -- the IDs for the restrictors should be able to go as small as .875" without any loss in power.

• Member Contributer

Spoke with my pipe dude today and he's interested in trying to utilize the 6th gen up pipe/Y I have to create the up pipe/Y for this project. He said that a flatter surface is not a problem to build, or in this case hack up....

He said that he could build a mold if others wanted to follow later and have a similar build.

I'll know a bit more next week when I get this to him.

• Member Contributer

This is what I did to a perfectly good set of 6th gen pipes......

post-2785-126870904553_thumb.jpg

The pipe dude wants to try and make something out of these.. I hope he can.

Well, I've got a set of OEM cans minus the pipes. If anyone wants them let me know.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I have some very cool news.

Dan Dreisbach (www.naked-sculpture.com) took the task of joining my Laser Xtreme cans to the header. We chatted a bit about route and I quickly realized Dan had the upper hand. See, he's got an extesive background with Rahal Indy Car Racing and other racing outfits and he fabbs up all types of exhausts for almost any application. Luckily, I was directed to him.

After I obtained the raw pipe (stainless steel) I dropped my bike off to Dan and awaited the outcome. When he saw my kanerckulated undertray system, he asked if he could "freshen it up". I was all for it.

I also needed help with the license plate extender. My design used a Yammy tail light bracket (inverted) and 12g Al. But during just two rides it was apparent that the Al. would not hold. In fact the Al. did fail on the ride to Dan's. Something about harmonics and vibration.....

Here is the finished product...

post-2785-127155704341_thumb.jpg

Dan first started with the tray. I had a wonderful basement version which just about made him fall over laughing. He was nice enough and suggested he could "clean it up a bit". One of his ideas for the tray was to add an additional piece of metal to the underside opposite of the battery tray, spaced away from the tray and extended below the cross member. He said it would act as a heat shield and draw air up and through the whole area.

Well, he did a bit more than clean it up. Notice the extra piece on the battery box slope. There is a slight gap that allows it to scoop air and make it flow back towards the cans to aid in cooling. After two rides (80 degrees) I can say that it works. I can place my hand directly on the undertray and it does not burn my hand. Who wudda thought?

post-2785-127155909461_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155909609_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155991877_thumb.jpg

Dan then moved onto the up pipe. One of the recent designs from Laser (GP cans) included a system that showed the heat rings from welding. I really like that design and how it looks.

Here are some pics of the up pipe prior to install.

post-2785-127155915128_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155915325_thumb.jpg

And now for its placement. I used the OEM heat shield from the 6th gen on this project.

post-2785-12715592568_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155925521_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155929991_thumb.jpgpost-2785-127155929829_thumb.jpg

Archived