GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

Bodywork went in for paint today.

He's going to do the pearl white base and the black accents, then put the bodywork up and away safely until I get a rolling chassis together, then I'll bring the bike to him, we'll put the bodywork on temporarily, and he'll project the wing graphics onto the bike and trace them out to get everything aligned properly.

Since the wing graphics go across the fairing and up onto the fuel tank, simply painting them on the loose bodywork would invite serious misalignment and they'd probably look wonky.

This way, everything will line up 100%

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it comes out looking and running better than ever, Rob. :blink:

If I ever wreck a bike, I think I'll part it out.

Full coverage insurance is priced way too high, I don't buy that junk.

With the money I save in 5 years I can buy a good used bike. :wheel:

Hope it comes out looking and running better than ever, Rob. :blink:

If I ever wreck a bike, I think I'll part it out.

Full coverage insurance is priced way too high, I don't buy that junk.

With the money I save in 5 years I can buy a good used bike. :wheel:

I don't have full coverage either, just $1M in basic liability, plus fire and theft.

I wouldn't even have the fire coverage, but they roll it in together with the theft insurance.

It's her insurance that's footing the bill.

I don't have full coverage either, just $1M in basic liability, plus fire and theft.

I wouldn't even have the fire coverage, but they roll it in together with the theft insurance.

We're only are required to have liability.

Theft fire collision and comprehensive are all bundled together iirc.

Take all or none. I say none.

Then there's uninsured motorist for the idiot that doesn't have the "required" liability ins...

Fak, don't start me up. I'm paying to cover the uninsured jackaxe. :blink:

• Member Contributer
Fak, don't start me up. I'm paying to cover the uninsured jackaxe. :beer:

And his rent or mortgage, and his medical expenses, and his food, and his...

We're only are required to have liability.

Theft fire collision and comprehensive are all bundled together iirc.

Take all or none. I say none.

Then there's uninsured motorist for the idiot that doesn't have the "required" liability ins...

Fak, don't start me up. I'm paying to cover the uninsured jackaxe. :beer:

In NY, I can get 3 separate levels of coverage - liability only, liability + comprehensive, or liability + comp + collision. Comp covers acts of nature like falling tree branches, flood, DEER, etc, :fing02: Comp is cheap here and good to have, IMO.

Acts of Deer aren't much of an issue around here, there's not all that many. :3:

And I have doubts any vehicle insurance would cover a bike falling over due to an earthquake. :fing02:

I think it was when I got the CBR and they wanted around $2k a year to cover a $7k bike that I decided to drop full coverage. :goofy: Between the bikes I've had during the last 5 years, I bet I've saved $10k by going liability only. :goofy:

Of course, I haven't wrecked one either.

Scrubbed the swingarm, cleaned and flushed the bearings, will repack bearings tomorrow and reinstall swingarm except for torquing the pivot bolt.

The replacement LH footpeg holders and shift lever are at the powdercoating shop currently, should get them back Tuesday, then I can install both peg hangers and torque the swingarm pivot.

Guess what I got today???? :beer: :lurk:

gallery_554_5200_389060.jpg

WOW, I wasn't even expecting it at all. Got a phonecall from Greyhound, parcel to pickup, what the heck could that be?

I wasn't expecting it for another month!

True to form, no VIN on the frame, it's totally blank on the steering head, and no stickers of any kind on the frame.

Notice the different finish on the frame? The cast portions are really grey whereas the original frame is silver-ish. ???

• Member Contributer

You're going to be rolling again in no time. :wheel:

Hypothetically speaking, what's to stop someone from transferring the VIN plate, punching the vin #'s in the head tube and presenting it for a salvage/repaired/recovered title? "Here's my bike, I fixed it.."

• Member Contributer

Glad to see it.

Hopefully, you'll have this on the road for the two-three really nice weeks of weather you'll get this summer. :wheel:

Hypothetically speaking, what's to stop someone from transferring the VIN plate, punching the vin #'s in the head tube and presenting it for a salvage/repaired/recovered title? "Here's my bike, I fixed it.."

Hypothetically, nothing. But then I would still have a "repaired salvage" status as that is attached to my original VIN # at the moment.

BUT, if they ever caught wind of that, it's a total fraud case and you're in Doo-Doo with the Dep't of Transporation.

I don't wanna find out.

• Member Contributer

Hypothetically, nothing. But then I would still have a "repaired salvage" status as that is attached to my original VIN # at the moment.

BUT, if they ever caught wind of that, it's a total fraud case and you're in Doo-Doo with the Dep't of Transporation.

I don't wanna find out.

That's why I said it was only a hypothetical... wink.gif

Good point, a clean title in the end will be worth it.

Not only has Rob made the beast with two backs, he's put a photo of it on a public forum :wheel:

Good work. I like that dark cast bit, looks purposeful.

Getting the rear end sorted, slowly working towards the front.

Replacement Fleabay swingarm all cleaned and greased:

gallery_554_5200_6811.jpg

100_0508.JPG

New chain and sprockets fitted as well as a fresh Harris Hugger in CF.

Replacement footpeg hangar and shift lever fitted:

gallery_554_5200_1442912.jpg

100_0509.JPG

Dang OE sprocket bolts are now too long with my (thinner) aftermarket sprocket.

Went to jet downtown and get some shorter ones, no dice, it was 9:02PM sad.gif

gallery_554_5200_1958551.jpg

100_0510.JPG

Dubious Chinese Wavy rotor refitted on new/used axle.

First thread on the other side of the axle was dinged in one small spot, had to break out the jeweler's file and file it down so the 46mm nut would thread freely. OK now.

gallery_554_5200_1659122.jpg

100_0511.JPG

Have to fit new shorter bolts for sprocket, will use grade 12.9 for peace of mind.

Also clean rear rotor, bolt up rear caliper, then onto removing the subframe and cleaning everything, straighten one subframe rail, reinstall exhaust, repair bent license plate bracket.

After that, remove front end and swap frame.

Stay tooned!

ps - not sure if you want to lengthen your work list, but Redmarque adapted a single piston RR rear caliper to his bike - it would work perfectly with your F4i rear master. :cheerleader:

ps - not sure if you want to lengthen your work list, but Redmarque adapted a single piston RR rear caliper to his bike - it would work perfectly with your F4i rear master. :beatdeadhorse:

Well, I have a spare brake caliper bracket, so maybe next winter........

• Member Contributer

Interesting thread and story.

Great job, and so far a great looking rebuild.

Sounds like the advice to just buy a second bike is well-founded. In my situation I'd just swap parts and not worry about numbers -moving a VIN plate from bike to bike doesn't bother me at all but I'm a cowboy. I've never heard of any cop ever checking the stamped VIN numbers on the frame. That sounds like more work than buying a dozen donuts and sitting out behind the tasty-freeze with the feet up on the dash with the radar gun running.

And since I only carry liability this whole "salvage vehicle" thing becomes moot. My current bike was thrashed but since there was no insurance involved I just picked it up from the towing company and brought it home. Lucky I didn't need to replace the frame but I wouldn't have made a deal of it if I had. No paperwork other than transferring the title to my name and buying plates. Nobody ever had any records of it being crashed and it never ended up in a salvage yard with a besmirched title.

We've got High School kids here beating each other to death with scrap lumber -they really don't pay much attention or have time to look at what numbers you have stamped on your headstock behind all those cable bundles... I doubt even if someone did notice that they'd send anyone to jail here for putting together a bike that the numbers don't all match here in the USA unless the parts had been reported stolen at one point. That's the whole point of the VIN anyhow -to discourage theft. I guess things are different up there.

It does look like you are getting to really know the bike with this rebuild and it will be time well spent IMHO whenever it comes time to work on it in the future as you'll know the bike like the back of your hand. Basic maintenance will be a snap for you after all this. The fact that you are going to have a completely unique bike with cross-generational parts will make it something special and "yours" more than anything you could ever buy in a catalog! I look forward to seeing the final product and the paint color/scheme you settle on to finish off all your hard work. I went cheap with my bike and just rattle-canned it with tractor paint after I found all the replacement bodywork on fleabay/VFR forums. Took me 4 years after I got it all together before I finally painted all to match -but I'm a procrastinator. I'm pretty happy with the way it works.

Rob,

Have you started the Frame yet?

It's not too bad a job! Pull the forks, actually looking at the pics we just left everything semi attached and worked the frame off. If I remember correctly the brake lines can remain intact front to rear as you guide the frame off the engine swingarm assm. An extra Body makes this a much easier job!

Got pics somewhere! :laughing6-hehe:

post-301-126867204892_thumb.jpg

post-301-126867206083_thumb.jpg

post-301-12686720834_thumb.jpg

post-301-126867212072_thumb.jpg

BR

• Member Contributer

Rob,

Have you started the Frame yet?

It's not too bad a job! Pull the forks, actually looking at the pics we just left everything semi attached and worked the frame off. If I remember correctly the brake lines can remain intact front to rear as you guide the frame off the engine swingarm assm. An extra Body makes this a much easier job!

Got pics somewhere! :unsure:

Those are some NEAT pics of the rare yellow spineless Jellyfish VFR!

You just slid the frame off and left everything more or less connected by cables, wires, and the engine???

These photos made my day. I think it's the most amazing thing I've seen this whole winter. Being able to roll up one's sleeves and wade into a job like this is the kind of thing that impresses me more than most other things. I'm glad you got some pics of that. I need to start taking more pics of my projects. Pics or it didn't happen...

It HAPPENED! :laughing6-hehe:

Dang OE sprocket bolts are now too long with my (thinner) aftermarket sprocket.

Went to jet downtown and get some shorter ones, no dice, it was 9:02PM sad.gif

Mo bettah:

gallery_554_5200_132098.jpg

They are grade 12.9 so should be plenty strong enough. And no, the axle nut is not torqued nor staked yet. It's on the list.

I've been working 4 nightshifts, so progress is almost at a standstill save for the sprocket bolts. Yeah, I know, Big Whoop. :lobby:

Archived