GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

So huge props to VFRD member FROZEN for tipping me off to this mod. I like the shape of the VTEC tank better, and the increased fuel capacity can only help.

Good luck first of all!

But, you should have read my last post in the tank topic. The new tank with old pump and sensor picks up only 20 liters (before the swap I got to the 20.8 liters refueling..)... I think It's maybe a different tank angle. I raised it's front a little, hope it may help..

Hmmm, I see, well I like the shape of the new tank better, the styling will really change up the look of the bike for the better, I think. So I'll keep it.

Will report back on the fuel range when I can.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a day to test-fit the bodywork and boy am I glad I did.

Removed the 5th gen rear tank hinge and temporarily fitted the 6th gen one:

gallery_554_5200_655796.jpg

100_0467.JPG

I will have to make some spacers later so that the rear part of the tank cannot shift side to side, the spacers will go here:

gallery_554_5200_180365.jpg

100_0468.JPG

It looks like the bolt is hitting the tank flange, but it's not.

The seat junction worked out quite nicely:

gallery_554_5200_738160.jpg

100_0471.JPG

Seems that the wider front portion of the 6th gen tank causes interference with the fairing lowers here:

gallery_554_5200_861933.jpg

100_0469.JPG

So what else could I do but MOD THEM! (one good mod deserves another....)

gallery_554_5200_49584.jpg

100_0472.JPG

Other side, same thing:

gallery_554_5200_950231.jpg

100_0474.JPG

I'll hit them with some hand sandpaper to smooth the edges, as I did that with an angle grinder of all things. Slow and careful.

The gauge surround will need the same treatment on both sides, so I marked it off and will do it tomorrow, as I'm totally beat now.

Went to the doc and got my staples out before lunch, and it was about 7 hours of activity and walking after that, my legs are jello and my ankle is bitchy!

gallery_554_5200_863728.jpg

100_0475.JPG

So here is how it stands at the moment:

gallery_554_5200_572004.jpg

100_0476.JPG

gallery_554_5200_1993573.jpg

100_0477.JPG

Rainbow bike.

Rainbow bike.

:comp13:

Not so bad actually, but funny. (a yellow front faring would sute better thro, and black lowers on both sides :biggrin: ) Volkswagen made some rainbow car models in the early 90s, every part on it was diffrent color. was not a sucsess thro.

The 6th gen tank looks cool, and I think +1.gif on a new frame.

Gona be a great looking bike when ready for road again (after the frame and paint) :fing02:

Rainbow bike.

:comp13:

Not so bad actually, but funny. Volkswagen made some rainbow car models in the early 90s, every part on it was diffrent color. was not a sucsess thro.

The 6th gen tank looks cool, and I think :fing02: on a new frame.

Gona be a great looking bike when ready for road again (after the frame and paint) :biggrin:

Ah yes, the very rare Harelquin Golf! Only 246 made worldwide!

47184929-607e-02000180-.jpg

• Member Contributer

If it was me, I'd put centres in the head and tailstocks and rotate the tube by hand, checking with a dial indicator at the middle and quarter positions. Or put a piece of scrap in the chuck and machine a larger taper if you don't have a large enough centre.

Powering something which is overhung and possibly bent sounds like a not-good idea.

Glenn

I don't have any fancy V-blocks or such for measuring, but I was thinking of gently chucking the fork legs up into the metal lathe at work, on the topmost part of the fork where the upper triple and clipon normally mounts, then starting the lathe VERY slowly, and work it up easy to a reasonable (slow-ish) speed that would show any bend in the fork as an off-center wobble. Clamping say, a popsicle stick in the lathe's tool mount should show any runout as increasing/decreasing clearance, no?

Do you think this would work? :fing02:

If it was me, I'd put centres in the head and tailstocks and rotate the tube by hand, checking with a dial indicator at the middle and quarter positions. Or put a piece of scrap in the chuck and machine a larger taper if you don't have a large enough centre.

Powering something which is overhung and possibly bent sounds like a not-good idea.

I don't have any machining skills, just know enough to turn the damn thing on, and I hear you about the rotating mass thing, which is why I would have the lathe in "first gear" at idle, not "sixth" at redline.

• Member Contributer

I wonder why? :comp13:

• Member Contributer

"Instead, I trusted the "structural engineer" from the insurance company who never said that the frame was bent".

Stevie Wonder???????

Can't wait for paint!! Look'n pretty slick.

Hey Rob, I have a 5th gen Frame you can have, just pay shipping! :wheel:

I already ordered one from my local Honda dealer for $1100.

What is the title status on yours?

Non-rebuild-able, but I would be tempted to..........

Can't you get a title easily up there with a Bill of Sale?

Sorry I'm late to the party! :goofy:

Non-rebuild-able, but I would be tempted to..........

Can't you get a title easily up there with a Bill of Sale?

Sorry I'm late to the party! :goofy:

Nah, they will trace it and find the non-rebuildable status in the USA. I have to fill out a comprehensive form and present it to Alberta Transportation before they will allow the bike to be registered again.

We don't have "titles" per se, you just own the bike outright with a bill of sale, like a reciept for a pack of gum.

Also, your registration (license plate) documents show you as being the registered owner, which is about as close to a title as you get here.

I am required to report the VIN of donor vehicles on the rebuilding worksheet along with photographs of the damage before and after repairs. Anything that has been declared non-rebuildable is strictly off-limits.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/680.htm

I mean, I could use a signal light, that's fine, but wrecked chassis components bearing a VIN are Verboten.

Stripped the bodywork off in anticipation of paint.

Fixed this corner first though:

gallery_554_5200_863728.jpg

Rounded it off nicely to match.

Next will be sorting out some minor wiring issues and connectors that got messed in the accident.

Luckily I have a second wiring harness to use as parts.

Wait for the frame to arrive and while that is happening, check both front wheels for runout.

LH brake disc is toast, but the RH one I think is fine and resellable.

• Member Contributer

I crashed a couple track bikes with conventional forks and bent them pretty easily. I was excited to finally get a more modern track bike with USD forks, so as to (hopefully) not worry about bending the forks in a minor get off. Someone soon told me that the thicker USD uppers would more than likely bend the frame before the forks. Combine that with an older frame designed for conventional forks, and I guess the bent frame was inevitable in your case...

Progress looks good, so far! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Hmmm... I've seen 2 different ones here (unless he got in it, and drove to the other end of town faster than I could). Maybe someone just made one themselves...

Glad to hear of the progress on the bike. I really like the way the 5th gen fairings sorta flow into the flat side portion of the 6th gen tank. I'm also shocked on that canadian frame price. Good find.

How much longer in the healing process?

Glad to hear of the progress on the bike. I really like the way the 5th gen fairings sorta flow into the flat side portion of the 6th gen tank. I'm also shocked on that canadian frame price. Good find.

Thanks, I took off the gauge surround and "shaped" the edges as shown above so they are more rounded and flow better with the sidepanels.

How much longer in the healing process?

Off topic, but I've abandoned the crutches completely and have gone 100% to the cane. Staples and sutures are out from the last surgery almost 3 weeks ago.

I'm walking better every day, and went to the gym today and worked out on the recumbent bike for ~30 mins.

Then, tried my hand on the elliptical machine, really, really easy going with no resistance, just seeing if it could be done. A little premature perhaps, as there is still a fair bit of pain during extension and flexion of the ankle joint, but the mid-stride feels fine on the elliptical. Maybe another week or two and it'll be better. It's doable, I just have to take it easy and be REAL careful getting on and off the machine. Good hand-holds are essential, and thinking of every move. In my state, you don't just "hop off" of anything!!

• Member Contributer

Good to hear you are getting around better, man.

Been off the forum for a while (new job is busy), but the bike looks cool with the 6th gen tank.

Bummer about the frame being bent.

I guess you are in it for the long haul now, he he.

Just thinking crazy here, but if your rebuild is the same as dealing with a custom bike, what about having a truss frame welded up for you? How much would that cost? Is your deposit on the frame non-refundable if you happen to find another deal for a frame?

Off topic, but I've abandoned the crutches completely and have gone 100% to the cane. Staples and sutures are out from the last surgery almost 3 weeks ago.

I'm walking better every day, and went to the gym today and worked out on the recumbent bike for ~30 mins.

Then, tried my hand on the elliptical machine, really, really easy going with no resistance, just seeing if it could be done. A little premature perhaps, as there is still a fair bit of pain during extension and flexion of the ankle joint, but the mid-stride feels fine on the elliptical. Maybe another week or two and it'll be better. It's doable, I just have to take it easy and be REAL careful getting on and off the machine. Good hand-holds are essential, and thinking of every move. In my state, you don't just "hop off" of anything!!

Great stuff Rob!

I'm two weeks support free! Get in the Pool my friend, just walking in the pool made a major improvement for me and I'm doing a bunch more in the pool now improving every day. :rolleyes:

Just do it!

BR

Just thinking crazy here, but if your rebuild is the same as dealing with a custom bike, what about having a truss frame welded up for you? How much would that cost? Is your deposit on the frame non-refundable if you happen to find another deal for a frame?

Well, it's a special order item, and judging from the lead time, it's coming from japan, so I cannot really fathom them welcoming a return.

I bought the bike to ride it, not sell it, so I guess I've got a LOT of riding to do! tongue.gif

Wicked to see your progress on all fronts, both mechanical and biomechanical... you and BR are my heroes!!

Can't you appeal the insurance report?? After all they were wrong!!

It would be like fighting city hall as I've already signed a document months ago stating that it's a done deal.

The mechanical engineer from the insurance co. never said the frame WAS bent and he never said it WASN'T bent either.

Just that the "bike" was "repairable".

Really, anything is "repairable" if you replace each and every part, one at a time, with new! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I know you are committed to the replacement path, but just for the sake of the discussion and future occasions to VFR riders, did you check into the relative cost of frame straightening? There are quickly Googled several businesses that guarantee exactly straight frames from wrecks, like Dr. John's that quotes $400-500 to straighten Japanese bikes. Adding in the cost of shipping and exchange rates makes it more, but versus cost of parts, re-titling makes it less....maybe. They also say they straighten rotors, fork tubes and sliders for pretty nominal prices. Mayhaps some VFRD'rs have actual info on success in these repairs. A number of the shops spec very precise measurements to their repairs, so I would tend to believe that repair adequacy is not in doubt. Anyone?

On the right frame spar, where the factory puts a hole for a screwdriver to adjust the idle, there are three stress marks radiating out from the hole, north, east and west.

I personally would not feel comfortable riding on a repaired frame that has been straightened, but that's just me.

I've bent enough things made from aluminum, then had them snap when I tried to srtaighten them. Simplistic analogy, yes, and I'm not saying that the frame would snap when bending it back, just that I don't like the thought, and this way, I won't have to think it because the bender frame is going to the recycle bin.

Next time I crack open a cold one, I just might be drinking out of my old frame! :beer:

Archived