5th gen fork swap with F4 forks

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

Hey folks,

I've got a question and hoping for some input. I know there are a TON of posts regarding fork swaps and upgrades... I've searched and read many of them, and quite frankly, I'm swamped with info and I'm hoping for some clarity. I would like to upgrade my suspension in the near future and also de-link the brakes. I promised myself when I bought this bike I would leave it alone, but I can't help myself and I want to tweak & mod. Suspension seems to be the biggest area we can improve these bikes. Mine is a bone stock 2000 VFR and I would like to know if I can swap a F4 fork (1999) onto my bike? I will have the complete fork tube assemblies, steering stem, calipers, & M/C to make the swap and do the de-link of the brakes. Can I do this swap and is it worth the effort? Can I get better results with a different mod? This is my 1st Honda motorcycle and I value all your collective knowledge. Any help, suggestions, or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

YES!

It's a basic bolt in swap, with the only concern is the shorter F4 tube length.

I run F4/F4i forks on my Vtec track bike and if you run the forks slide up 10mm from stock like I do On my street VFR (for quicker turn in) then you'll have enough fork tube to clamp the clip-ons to. They (tubes)might be slightly lower than the top of the clip-ons but shouldn't be an issue.

The F4 happens to run the same fork spring as the stock VFR(.74's) which are too soft if you weigh over 150-160 lbs.

Stock VFR wheel and rotors can be used, but you will most likely need to use the F4 axle and play with spacers from both to center up wheel.

I think if your planning to De-link it's a great & easy swap.

BR

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

YES!

I run F4/F4i forks on my Vtec track bike and if you run the forks slide up 10mm from stock like I do On my street VFR (for quicker turn in) then you'll have enough fork tube to clamp the clip-ons to. They (tubes)might be slightly lower than the top of the clip-ons but shouldn't be an issue.

The F4 happens to run the same fork spring as the stock VFR(.74's) which are too soft if you weigh over 150-160 lbs.

Stock VFR wheel and rotors can be used, but you will most likely need to use the F4 axle and play with spacers from both to center up wheel.

BR

Thanks BR! I knew a quick answer was out there. Now, if you don't mind, I have a couple of follow-up questions. Do I just swap the F4 tubes into my VFR or do I use the F4 steering stem and the VFR upper triple tree? I thought the F4 tubes are 43mm and the 5th gens are 41mm. Do I need to get a different triple tree? RE: spring rates, I weigh 220+ lbs buck naked so I'm looking at getting a set of Traxxion fork springs to bring the spring rate up into my weight class. What are your thoughts on the steering stem bearings? The bike only has 15k miles and while I have it apart I can replace or upgrade. Also, if I pick-up an F4 rear shock do you think the shorter fork tubes and shorter shock would keep the steering geometry about the same? Thanks for your help...

• Member Contributer

Do I just swap the F4 tubes into my VFR or do I use the F4 steering stem and the VFR upper triple tree? I thought the F4 tubes are 43mm and the 5th gens are 41mm. Do I need to get a different triple tree?

You are correct and need the f4i triple set as they are 43mm. Even better IMO: get a set of vtec triples (same 43mm size) for closer to stock geometry but they are harder to find since vfr riders tend to crash less than the cbr guys. :fing02: +1.gif

• Like 1

YES!

BR

Thanks BR! I knew a quick answer was out there. Now, if you don't mind, I have a couple of follow-up questions. Do I just swap the F4 tubes into my VFR or do I use the F4 steering stem and the VFR upper triple tree? I thought the F4 tubes are 43mm and the 5th gens are 41mm. Do I need to get a different triple tree? RE: spring rates, I weigh 220+ lbs buck naked so I'm looking at getting a set of Traxxion fork springs to bring the spring rate up into my weight class. What are your thoughts on the steering stem bearings? The bike only has 15k miles and while I have it apart I can replace or upgrade. Also, if I pick-up an F4 rear shock do you think the shorter fork tubes and shorter shock would keep the steering geometry about the same? Thanks for your help...

As FM said you would have to use the F4 or Vtec triples for the 43mm tubes. Using F4 triples will change the Trail because the F4 tube to stem off-set is closer than the VFR. This could be good or bad depending on what you want. Trail numbers are Not my expertize! :fing02:

Vtec triples will keep factory number much closer or the same vs F4 trees.

At 220 lbs you should be running at least .95 kg fork springs and a 1200 lb rear spring, you'll have to decide on what other valving mods you'll want and for sure I would install either the F4/F4i or 929 shock with a 1200 lb spring on it, ideally have that shock revalved to the 1200lb spring if it's in your budget.

If you are Inseam challenged(short legged) you could take advantage of this mod to drop your bike, but there's close to a 3 to 1 ratio on the rear so if you installed a F4i rear shock which is aprox. 3/4" shorter it would drop the rear of the bike around 2.250". :wub: That's a bunch and if you didn't drop the forks the same amount(not really possible) the bikes balance & rake would be way off.

So if you had the forks 12mm higher in the tubes you would need a shock only 4mm shorter than stock to match it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Definetly use the VFR800 VTEC 43mm triples with the F4 forks.

Any year of VTEC from 2002 to present will work for you. Both triples plus the steering stem and you're good to go.

You can use VTEC clipons or Helibars if you want comfort, or CBR1100X clipons if you want things to be more sporty.

And when you delink the brakes, use a smaller rear master cylinder and plumb it into all 3 rear pistons at once.

14mm rear master from an F4i will do the trick.

See here and read down to the part about the rear master cylinder swap, post #13:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/28433-rc51-front-end-swap/page__p__336318__fromsearch__1entry336318

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

BR, FM, & Veefer you guys ROCK! :fing02:

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. Hopefully, I'll have everything done by Spring. :wheel:

I'd give you an official "Thank You" for your profile, but I don't know how to do that... I looked, but I'm a little slow sometimes :comp13:

Edited by Rush2112

BR, FM, & Veefer you guys ROCK! :fing02:

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. Hopefully, I'll have everything done by Spring. :wheel:

I'd give you an official "Thank You" for your profile, but I don't know how to do that... I looked, but I'm a little slow sometimes :comp13:

Look to the bottom right of their post, and click on the green plus sign. You can give a reason for the thank you in the small text box that pops up. :wheel:

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread but closest to the topic.

I put F3 insides in my '98 VFR 800 long ago & added a Penske rear shock. The combo has worked well for 100K miles but I am thinking of making a change. I have a set of F4i forks & front brakes but need triples & tubes. F4i & 6th gen VFR have been listed as suitable but F4i changes the rake, leaving 6th gen. The price on those is currently higher than I would like, so looking for options I thought of CBR1100XX. The tubes are within 2-3mm of the VFR length & when I measured my Blackbird forks, the tubes are the same distance apart. These are also more affordable. Any reason why they won't work???

Plan is to use XX triples & tubes, F4i lower legs, axle & calipers, 5th gen wheel & rotors. This would give me a stouter front end & better brakes---assuming it all mates up.

I delinked the brakes in my Blackbird, then after thinking about it for a while, re-plumbed it to link back-to-front only. That really worked well. I recently got another SMC bracket & will change the VFR that way while gathering parts for the fork swap. Only requires one new brake line. Already have stainless lines so that one is easy.

So. Bottom line. For those that have done the front end/brake swap--any compelling reasons why it shouldn't work???

• Member Contributer

Reviving an old thread but closest to the topic.

I put F3 insides in my '98 VFR 800 long ago & added a Penske rear shock. The combo has worked well for 100K miles but I am thinking of making a change. I have a set of F4i forks & front brakes but need triples & tubes. F4i & 6th gen VFR have been listed as suitable but F4i changes the rake, leaving 6th gen. The price on those is currently higher than I would like, so looking for options I thought of CBR1100XX. The tubes are within 2-3mm of the VFR length & when I measured my Blackbird forks, the tubes are the same distance apart. These are also more affordable. Any reason why they won't work???

Plan is to use XX triples & tubes, F4i lower legs, axle & calipers, 5th gen wheel & rotors. This would give me a stouter front end & better brakes---assuming it all mates up.

I delinked the brakes in my Blackbird, then after thinking about it for a while, re-plumbed it to link back-to-front only. That really worked well. I recently got another SMC bracket & will change the VFR that way while gathering parts for the fork swap. Only requires one new brake line. Already have stainless lines so that one is easy.

So. Bottom line. For those that have done the front end/brake swap--any compelling reasons why it shouldn't work???

Kinda confused on what parts you have.

- If you have a full set of F4i forks, use that.

- You will need 6th gen triple set.

- Also for a drop in clip ons, use 6th gen.

- Stock wheel and rotors are fine.

- Probly need a different master cylinder.

I thought XX forks were 41mm? Correct me if I'm wrong. (F4i are 43mm)

Should you do it - Absolutely!

Sorry, my fault.. I thought I was very clear. Must have been the rambling before & after.

Quote: Plan is to use XX triples & tubes, F4i lower legs, axle & calipers, 5th gen wheel & rotors. Unquote

According to my research F4i fork tubes are 587mm long, 6th gen VFR forks are 627mm, '96-98 XX forks are 630mm, '99-'03 XX forks are 625mm. All of these forks are 43mm diameter.

Why would I want to use F4i forks which are 40mm shorter??? Also, one of the threads in here said that the F4i triples change the steering angle, which I was trying to avoid. I don't believe the XX triples do that but cannot confirm, thus the reason for the post.

XX triples look to be the same as 6th gen VFR ( I measured mine) , the legs are closer to the VFR length & I can get them for less $$$ I already have a FULL set of F4i calipers & master cyl. as well as a set of 6th gen bars & a set of XX helibars, which are exactly the same as 6th gen VFR bars

• Member Contributer

I used F4i forks (F4 is NOT the same) and 6th gen triple clamps. 5th gen wheel and spacers, 5th gen fender (F4i would be best). F4i caliper front, 5th gen rear with loop. F4i front and rear master brake master cylinders. De-linked the brakes. Re-valved the fork shim stacks as well. Seems to work nicer than stock with excellent adjustability on the fly.

Matt

• Member Contributer

Sorry, my fault.. I thought I was very clear. Must have been the rambling before & after.

Quote: Plan is to use XX triples & tubes, F4i lower legs, axle & calipers, 5th gen wheel & rotors. Unquote

According to my research F4i fork tubes are 587mm long, 6th gen VFR forks are 627mm, '96-98 XX forks are 630mm, '99-'03 XX forks are 625mm. All of these forks are 43mm diameter.

Why would I want to use F4i forks which are 40mm shorter??? Also, one of the threads in here said that the F4i triples change the steering angle, which I was trying to avoid. I don't believe the XX triples do that but cannot confirm, thus the reason for the post.

XX triples look to be the same as 6th gen VFR ( I measured mine) , the legs are closer to the VFR length & I can get them for less $$$ I already have a FULL set of F4i calipers & master cyl. as well as a set of 6th gen bars & a set of XX helibars, which are exactly the same as 6th gen VFR bars

The XX should then mate to the F4i tubes fine....(take the F4 guts if you have them) -- If you are buying new triples, spot check on partzilla; 6th gen are a tick cheaper. Cant comment on how the XX triples mate or dont mate, but by the fische, they're different. -- Not saying at all to use F4i triples.

The longer fork tube should be better - but -- The 5th gen in stock geometry steers like a truck, and on mine, I ended up dropping the front roughly 8 mm and raised the rear another 10mm (at least)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Nope, not buying new. I'm an old retired guy, thus the desire to get it all from the same bike, thereby not having to buy complete front end from two different bikes to do the job. However, by the time I did that, it might be less expensive to buy new. All of the small parts will kill your budget.

My F4i forks are complete, less triples. I can't remember if they are straight or bent; I bought them a long time ago to modify my XX when I got it but never did. I haven't measured the complete length to compare.