Cbr 954 upper. Fitment?

Bren

Here's where I'm at now. biggrin.gif

DSCN1031.jpg

Sorry to threadjack, but while you have that beautiful set of forklegs up in the air like that, would you mind posting or PMing the length from the axle center to the top of the fork......please?

I got 29 15/16" or 760mm from the axle center to the top of the fork cap. :rolleyes:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Are you sure it's a tweaked upper? A tweaked steering stem could create the same condition as you and Bren are having.

You have two parts that will not fit together properly. How do you determine which is the good one and which is the twanged one?

Process of elimination - check the CBR U.T. first, because the '51 piece fits. What he needs to do is double and triple check EVERYTHING, and properly. This means v blocks, dial indicators, and surface plates Bren! :rolleyes:

I think the idea of process of elimination is the logical next step. I gotta check the CBR upper to see if thats borked first, the pane of glass trick and measuring the "parallelnessises" is what I´ll do here.

As a few others have said, I do hope they´re wrong, that maybe the lower triple is tweaked. What is the best way to check the lower triple? Pane of glass trick again but that will only tell me if its tweaked in the North South plane. What about the stem? I assume it should be at 90 degrees to the lower, as was rightly pointed out earlier, that for our VFR, steering angle is taken care of by the frame neck, some raked choppers can also have it in the triple.

I´m thinking if the stem were borked that even the SP1 upper wouldn´t fit down on it as straight as it does. I cant see it that landing a wheelie hard could twist the lower, crash different matter, and/or bend the stem. If so it wouldn´t fit as good as it does in the headstock, with the bearings locknuts etc. I will check it but I thinking no to that one.

So v-blocks I know and can organise but what are these surface plates? Never heard the term, unless you mean 2 straight edges to "eye" down the length of the forks, which I did in the lower triple and they were parallel at every point I tried.

One other thing I remember is the 954 upper was rather difficult to get on. Its been a week now but I´m sure it took more effort to slide/push/tap down the forks than the SP1 upper. Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the GREAT advice guys :fing02:

Nice Öhlins Rusty!! (insert finger licking good emoticon)

Edited by Bren

Are you sure it's a tweaked upper? A tweaked steering stem could create the same condition as you and Bren are having.

You have two parts that will not fit together properly. How do you determine which is the good one and which is the twanged one?

Process of elimination - check the CBR U.T. first, because the '51 piece fits. What he needs to do is double and triple check EVERYTHING, and properly. This means v blocks, dial indicators, and surface plates Bren! :rolleyes:

I think the idea of process of elimination is the logical next step. I gotta check the CBR upper to see if thats borked first, the pane of glass trick and measuring the "parallelnessises" is what I´ll do here.

As a few others have said, I do hope they´re wrong, that maybe the lower triple is tweaked. What is the best way to check the lower triple? Pane of glass trick again but that will only tell me if its tweaked in the North South plane. What about the stem? I assume it should be at 90 degrees to the lower, as was rightly pointed out earlier, that for our VFR, steering angle is taken care of by the frame neck, some raked choppers can also have it in the triple.

I´m thinking if the stem were borked that even the SP1 upper wouldn´t fit down on it as straight as it does. I cant see it that landing a wheelie hard could twist the lower, crash different matter, and/or bend the stem. If so it wouldn´t fit as good as it does in the headstock, with the bearings locknuts etc. I will check it but I thinking no to that one.

So v-blocks I know and can organise but what are these surface plates? Never heard the term, unless you mean 2 straight edges to "eye" down the length of the forks, which I did in the lower triple and they were parallel at every point I tried.

One other thing I remember is the 954 upper was rather difficult to get on. Its been a week now but I´m sure it took more effort to slide/push/tap down the forks than the SP1 upper. Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the GREAT advice guys :fing02:

Bren, did you buy the upper RC51 plate, and the lower RC51 triple from the same seller? My thinking is that both parts came from the same bike. and both parts are tweaked. That why they fit together. The parts I got from flea-bay are tweaked. Nothing lined up. The one lower, I could see the bend at where the stem and lower fit together. The other lower had a crack in it. On the upper. One corner of it was bent down some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plate

Thick glass would be the poor man's surface plate.

• Member Contributer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plate

Thick glass would be the poor man's surface plate.

Aha. Well a kitchen granite worktop it will have to be. That will determine the plane of the upper but any ideas for the lower and stem?

Bren

• Member Contributer

Bren, did you buy the upper RC51 plate, and the lower RC51 triple from the same seller? My thinking is that both parts came from the same bike. and both parts are tweaked. That why they fit together. The parts I got from flea-bay are tweaked. Nothing lined up. The one lower, I could see the bend at where the stem and lower fit together. The other lower had a crack in it. On the upper. One corner of it was bent down some.

The SP1 upper and lower look to be in great condition. No obvious dings or bangs.

I can see what you´re thinking, especially when one has already been stung, and its completely valid. If the set had a bump as a set then they would still fit together although tweaked. But this would also mean that it wouldn´t sit perfect in the headstock, which my set does. I´m not trying to convince myself that its only the cheap part thats tweaked, therefore saving a lot of swearing, and I mean a lot, but if I can tighten the locknuts etc down to torque spec etc and it still turns free and smooth then I call that straight.

Thanks for the thoughts :fing02: Thats how these things are resolved.

Bren

again nice Öhlins, when you gonna be finished tongue.gif ?

The SP1 upper and lower look to be in great condition. No obvious dings or bangs.

I can see what you´re thinking, especially when one has already been stung, and its completely valid. If the set had a bump as a set then they would still fit together although tweaked. But this would also mean that it wouldn´t sit perfect in the headstock, which my set does. I´m not trying to convince myself that its only the cheap part thats tweaked, therefore saving a lot of swearing, and I mean a lot, but if I can tighten the locknuts etc down to torque spec etc and it still turns free and smooth then I call that straight.

Thanks for the thoughts :fing02: Thats how these things are resolved.

Bren

again nice Öhlins, when you gonna be finished tongue.gif ?

I got my calibers. Now waiting on for 320mm rotors, radial brake and clutch master cylinders, and some other odds and ends. smile.gif

DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

Guest Pete McCrary

Bren:

As the steering stem itself is pressed into the lower triple clamp from the bottom, I'm thinking more that the stem may possibly not seated correctly in the lower. Not so much an actual "U" shaped bend in one of your pieces.

Can you get access to a press, use a socket of that will just fit into the recess on the bottom of the stem make sure it's seated in there good?

As far as what I have on the upper, my purchase was such a mish mash of parts it's unbelieveable. To the best of my knowledge, it is an SP-2 upper. It fits on the steering stem dead perfect, no gap, no nothing.

I've got a 929 gull wing style on order from RonAyers. It is on back order until the 22nd. If you want the one I have when mine comes in to check things with, you are welcome to it.

You and Fotomoto I think have the right attitude about this whole project. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't get the steering stem/upper triple correct, you'll never get one of these inverted fork swaps to work.

You're doing the right thing about being overly cautious/anal at this point in the project.

Pete

Guest steven113

Process of elimination - check the CBR U.T. first, because the '51 piece fits. What he needs to do is double and triple check EVERYTHING, and properly. This means v blocks, dial indicators, and surface plates Bren! :fing02:

Thanks for the GREAT advice guys :blink:

try sliding both of your upper triples on upside down and see if that makes a difference. if the stem is bent it will be the same with the cbr upper and if you are 180 degrees out it is the upper.

• Member Contributer

Bren:

As the steering stem itself is pressed into the lower triple clamp from the bottom, I'm thinking more that the stem may possibly not seated correctly in the lower. Not so much an actual "U" shaped bend in one of your pieces.

Can you get access to a press, use a socket of that will just fit into the recess on the bottom of the stem make sure it's seated in there good?

As far as what I have on the upper, my purchase was such a mish mash of parts it's unbelieveable. To the best of my knowledge, it is an SP-2 upper. It fits on the steering stem dead perfect, no gap, no nothing.

I've got a 929 gull wing style on order from RonAyers. It is on back order until the 22nd. If you want the one I have when mine comes in to check things with, you are welcome to it.

You and Fotomoto I think have the right attitude about this whole project. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't get the steering stem/upper triple correct, you'll never get one of these inverted fork swaps to work.

You're doing the right thing about being overly cautious/anal at this point in the project.

Pete

Good points Pete. I´ll be sure to check the lower out also.

When I came across this difference I couldnt believe it. I started to worry all the difficult to find, read expensive, pieces were scrap. The thought of having to put the whole LBS system back on again wasnt very appealing either.

I´ll post some photos when I find the offending piece(s) :rolleyes:

Looking for another 954/929 upper, there´s very few about right now on ebay. Unless someone knows if a cbr600RR or something else fits?

Bren

Ps appreciate the offer for the upper but I´m gonna look for a straight cbr piece.

Edited by Bren

Sounds like an SP1 top triple then.

I think this pic belongs to a member here - SP2 stem on the left, take a look at the diameter of the top nut thread...

triples.jpg

Later today I'll post a pic with all three of them, busy getting kids out the door at the moment smile.gif

Guest Pete McCrary

I know my lower stem is a 929. The top bridge I have looks like an SP-2. I did get a chance to write the original owner and he did a lot of work on the front end before he blew up the motor.

This is what I have:

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

As you can see, I have a lot of hardware to replace to get these forks looking decent looking. I think the previous owner only had an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, and a Swiss Army knife in his tool set.

As soon as my springs come in, they're off to the suspension shop.

Pete

• Member Contributer

I know my lower stem is a 929. The top bridge I have looks like an SP-2. I did get a chance to write the original owner and he did a lot of work on the front end before he blew up the motor.

This is what I have:

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

As you can see, I have a lot of hardware to replace to get these forks looking decent looking. I think the previous owner only had an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, and a Swiss Army knife in his tool set.

As soon as my springs come in, they're off to the suspension shop.

Pete

Pete, the upper has to be SP1, the SP2 has a much larger stem and larger dia. opening in the upper. SP2 on left.

sp2_sp1.jpg

Guest Pete McCrary

Captain:

Makes sense after looking at your pics again.

As I said, it was a real mish mash of parts I bought. Wouldn't surprise me if there were some Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, or lord knows what thrown in the mix for good measure.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

DSCN1031.jpg

Sorry to threadjack, but while you have that beautiful set of forklegs up in the air like that, would you mind posting or PMing the length from the axle center to the top of the fork......please?

I got 29 15/16" or 760mm from the axle center to the top of the fork cap. :goofy:

And are they RC51 Ohlins, or from another bike? Thanks.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks Rusty, went and had a look at those part numbers. 53300-MCJ-000 is listed as the upper triple, however I also found 53300-MCJ-D10... which suggests the same part, according to the ronayers fiche, but slightly cheaper... Surely there's a different apart from price. HDL has them separated as 2002 and 2003 resprectively. ???

A new upper bridge is only $120 from RonAyers.com.

Is this the one you're talking about Pete? The D10 part?

The same can be said with the RC51 lower, three part numbers, two are the same in terms of price (not sure of the difference) and the other has a different price (maybe SP1 and SP2)

53219-MCF-000

53219-MCF-D00

53219-MCF-D30

?

DSCN1031.jpg

I got 29 15/16" or 760mm from the axle center to the top of the fork cap. :goofy:

And are they RC51 Ohlins, or from another bike? Thanks.

Ciao,

They're Ohlins off of one of my '03 RC51's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I found the offending Bastage. The new, to me, upper fits perfectly as it should, exactly as everyone elses. Well I wouldn´t want to be different would I? :idea3:

gallery_12476_5185_978646.jpg

new upper

Big thanks to all the replies, especially the extra effort from a certain few :wub:

Bren