5th Gen Engine Modifications

sa1713

• Member Contributer

post-2785-034580900 1277432977_thumb.jpg

Jim:

You may want to take the packaging off first tho! :laughing6-hehe:

Looks really nice. I may change my UNI foam out for something like you've done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry for the absence, way too much other "pressing" things to take care of.

I spoke with my EBD about the everlasting stator and the three phase leads. He's in the process of determining if he can rewire them with a larger gauge wire. If he can not do it due to OE manufacturing process, I'm going to check with Custom Rewind in Alabama. Good Ol' Gary there will be able to determine if that will help with our charging issues.

I believe we are still awaiting the delivery of the cams from Dave Dodge and the end of the racing season. EBD is ususally inundated with "needed it yesterday" orders.

I'm still fussing with my own electrical deamon as the R/R side of the connection did a bit of melting and I've not had time to repair that eventhough Tightwad hooked me up really well with a custom VFRness.

I hope time will free up after the base and door molding gets installed (yes, I'm becoming a trim carpenter..)

• Member Contributer

I then ordered the wrong sized rectangle K&N, and returned it. Ordered a larger one (K&N part number 33-2629)and voala! I only needed to fab two spacers (about 3mm each side, the thickness of the OEM ABS rear fender/undertray...)

Got a part # for the air filter element you used?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The EBD inspected the stator and said it looked brand new. I asked if he could upgrade the 3 phase leads and he said that he could. So, at least I'm trying to lighten the resistence a bit and combined with Tightwad's VFRness I think It may work out very well.

I believe the EBD is nearing the reassembly portion as all of the cam grinding is complete and the racing season is finished. I hope to have it back within the next few months.....

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Dynojet to see if the VFR should really use the Autotune AT-200 kit that comes with two O2 sensors since that's what we have. With one, you're just picking up only two cylinders.

Makes sense.

It would "work" with only 2 cyl being sensed, but then you're "ASS-uming" that the other 2 cylinders will be working the same with the same amount of fuel going to them.

• Member Contributer

I believe the dual Bosch units are set up for HD and that allows them to tune each cyl independently. Not sure how what would work or if DJ would advise that use. Best bet would be to just plug the two OEM bungs and drill a common spot. Not the easiest way, but may work out best.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a small bit.

I spent the majority of the fall getting to know the PCV and how to deal with all of the adjustablity that comes with it. Just so much flexibility that there is almost too much. I've installed the PCV (w/ autotune) on my original motor as I want to learn and dial it in before I take delivery and attempt to learn it then.

I'm very glad I saved my pennies to purchase this over a PCIII. As I get more into the maps(6 total) I realize that eventhough the PCIII was a good tool, the PCV is much better. Having the ability to map by gear is by far the best upgrade over the PCIII. Oh, and the temp control feature. Preset a temperature and you can add/subtract fuel to cool/heat her up. I'm wondering if we could somehow convert engine temp input to an exhaust gas temp input......

Anyway, my findings on my 98 with a full TBR header along with a custom up pipe into two Laser xtreme cans are that the base DJ maps are way to lean for me. I'm not particularly interested in MAX HP, rather engine life and smooth operation. I found the DJ map was too lean around town, spiking the temp of 200 + in the 30-40mph range. Normal temps would range around 185-195.

Many thanks to Coderighter(John) for his guidance with my setup.

So I've cut into the AFR tables about -2% and I'm working on those. The EBD (engine builder dude) reccomended I get close to 12.7.

He's test fitting all parts now as Dave Dodge came through with freshly ground cams.

I'm reworking my custom K&N filter mod as the sealer did not hold as I wanted. I will be looking at a more sticky adheasive tape this time.

As far as an option to fit a ram system into the airbox area, I'm looking into something like medical splint material. It comes in sheets (1/16 thick), is easily formed and is rather rigid after applying the setting agent.

I hope to speak with the EBD this week and get an update.

More as I get it.

Jim

• Member Contributer

As I get more into the I'm reworking my custom K&N filter mod as the sealer did not hold as I wanted. I will be looking at a more sticky adheasive tape this time.

Hi - Just a curiousity - on the air filter, why didnt you just grab a BMC part? It has more area than the K&N. --(I'm running one.)

Cool project. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Hi - Just a curiousity - on the air filter, why didnt you just grab a BMC part? It has more area than the K&N. --(I'm running one.)

MD,

I calculated the filtered area and came up with the off the shelf rectangle that filled the OEM dimensions, which is almost the complete size of the pan. I also went with a deeper/longer pleats as that added to the filter area.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm curious as well. The delay is not with the EBD, but rather with Dave Dodge. It seems when he moved his operation, he may have lost his mind, and my cams. I believe they were found and finally faced and ground but that has been the delay.

In this delay, I've been able to learn the PCV to the point where I'm now playing with AFR. Oh, and my stator crapped out on me too.

I hope to have something good to report in the next few months.

Sorry for the quick burst of excitement and then a long lull. It is killing me too.

Jim

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well,

It looks more and more like Dave Dodge has misplaced all of my cams. The EBD is still trying to get him to ship them back, with no results.

More in the next few weeks.

Argh. Sounds like he owes you another set!

If I were him, I'd EBAY a set of used cams to replace the ones I'd lost, do the work that was promised, and send them to you, with a significant break on the cam weld/grind pricing. Like at cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Doink! Dave Dodge found my cams! Oh, and he states that with just the stage one grind, minimum 8HP gain.

At least during this "lull" I've been able to learn the PCV. I seem to like a smooth fuel map rather than a peak HP map.

• Like 1