5th Gen Engine Modifications

sa1713

• Member Contributer

Nothing to be done with the pistons or rings. They are in perfect shape. Engine had about 3k miles on it before I got my hands on it. Craig at HRT (Chico, CA) said a rod/piston swap with lighter bits would not be noticed by me. He said he could do it, but the money would not be well spent. I wanted to stay within the original cylinder walls, and not bore it out. Craig has an extra set of 49 stater cams in his shop now as I found them in the event DD crapped out. If I ever get mine back from Webcams, you have first dibs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suppose this one went ahead and died, courtesy of dave dodge...

This is really sad. This is surely the most interesting mod ever ever documented, and documented well by a guy who really raised hig hopes for mankind and the vfr... so so sad...

• Member Contributer

Nope! Not dead, just waiting for race season to end so my EBD can complete reassembly. Now that Dave Dodge has been cut completely out of the picture, Webcams has the grind for the 5th gen cams.

I hope to have news within the next few weeks as the season is about to end. Fingers crossed.

Once assembled, I will have a step by step listing of all mods/procedures taken for this project.

Hang in there.....

• Member Contributer

Nope! Not dead, just waiting for race season to end so my EBD can complete reassembly. Now that Dave Dodge has been cut completely out of the picture, Webcams has the grind for the 5th gen cams.

I hope to have news within the next few weeks as the season is about to end. Fingers crossed.

Once assembled, I will have a step by step listing of all mods/procedures taken for this project.

Hang in there.....

Do you have an idea of what you're expecting to get out of the port and cam work, hp-wise? I might have missed that in one of the previous 14 pages!

I guess you could say good things take time in this case more than 3 years. Will be watching this thread having tonight read all 14 pages and the delays along the way.

Sounds good! - I have been wondering what the bike would get out of a simple cam swap plus tuning.

Me too. I'd like to put a full programmable ECU in so I could also adjust the ignition timing, but that's a very expensive option for potentially little gain.

• Member Contributer

Do you have an idea of what you're expecting to get out of the port and cam work, hp-wise? I might have missed that in one of the previous 14 pages!

Don't know what the OP is expecting, but I'm up to 107rwhp with a revised inlet/ramair, mild cam job based on RC45 timing & a freer flowing exhaust system with custom dyno fuelling. I just fitted some shorter velocity stacks & have a couple of other ideas in progress, hopefully we can push that number higher, but might take a while to complete, as winter is coming :(

• Member Contributer

Don't know what the OP is expecting, but I'm up to 107rwhp with a revised inlet/ramair, mild cam job based on RC45 timing & a freer flowing exhaust system with custom dyno fuelling. I just fitted some shorter velocity stacks & have a couple of other ideas in progress, hopefully we can push that number higher, but might take a while to complete, as winter is coming :(

My goal in this project was not to necessarily to reach a target HP number, but rather to see what the results would be IF. The start of the project came out of the Torocharger project as I wanted to investigate what a bit of refining could do to our engines. The engine would essentially still be in its original skin and within OEM designed forces.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

My goal in this project was not to necessarily to reach a target HP number, but rather to see what the results would be IF. The start of the project came out of the Torocharger project as I wanted to investigate what a bit of refining could do to our engines. The engine would essentially still be in its original skin and within OEM designed forces.

Bump for an update ?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It is Saturday!

I spoke with Craig (EBD) and he is busily working on the heads. He noticed how small the inlets were and said he will open them up a bit. He said the heads would be done in about 3 weeks. He does have the RC45 HRC specs for comparison.

I'll ring him again at the end of the month.

More as I get it.

Jim

• Like 1