5th Gen Engine Modifications

sa1713

• Member Contributer

Just a bunch of other "world" stuff going on and this project has taken a back seat.

Sorry to keep folks hanging, but life does tend to interrupt our best plans.

Sooo true.... :unsure:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Dito,   gota say something here to keep track of a interesting thread.  On a side note, Yep, still working with the ins-outs of the header.  I have more to dos,  I ain't done.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

WSS and all, sorry for the delay of delays.  The gasket kit was ordered two weeks ago so I imagine it will be back together soon.....

Pickup will be another story as my local connect may not be an option.  Once I have my hands on the package, I'll update then.  Yes, sorry for the teasers and delays.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Good news!  I have the engine back from Hanson Racing Technology, Craig Hanson, in Chico, CA.  I made a trip recently to ship it back east.  Forward Air is about as easy to deal with as my brushless automatic car wash.  No issues.

Here are the build details:

Mild cam hard face and grind by Web Cams  (Don't ever use Dave Dodge.  PM me and I'll explain)

Intake and exhaust ports ported/polished.  Valves and seats ground.  Exhaust ports ceramic coated

Water pump cover modified and ported to allow better flow

Air intake funnels ground to match throttle body intake diameter

Counter sprocket bolt cover (keeps rust/dust off the splines)

A shift star and detent arm was installed as well as a new Custom Rewind stator.  New SAMCO hoses/clamps will go on too.

I'm in the process of gathering all the necessary bits for the swap.  I have a spare frame (salvaged) that was turned into a three legged mare which the original engine will hang in while I decide what to do with it.

I'm not sure what the results will be, but I'll get it to a dyno and post the results.

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Best pics I could achieve of the water pump.  Not sure how much was done to the fins, but he cleaned up the inside of the cover.

Craig is a super easy person to deal with.  He is a very honest chap even when presented with an open checkbook.

Cooling system is removed.  Next will be the header, swingarm pivot bolt, and remaining frame mounts. 

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

• Member Contributer

Injector RX received my injectors today, and they already completed the cleaning/refurb.  They ship back tomorrow.  Now, I sent the 8, hoping to get a good set of 4.  Well, all 8 are now back to factory spec.  Anybody in need of 4 factory new injectors?

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

If they were 6th gen... 

I might be able to accommodate you. PM Sent.

• Member Contributer

Blimey, and I thought it must be vapor ware :)

Get it in a bike & get it running. Check out my mods since this first started, up to 120whp with induction & exhaust mods. I went with an electric water pump, much simpler.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Blimey, and I thought it must be vapor ware :)

Get it in a bike & get it running. Check out my mods since this first started, up to 120whp with induction & exhaust mods. I went with an electric water pump, much simpler.

Hi, which pump did you use? How was the install? Easy, totally custom? Please let me know.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Great project and tenacity :beer:

Here's something to aim for then....

IMAG6773.thumb.jpg.5dd7fac5ac9ee6a7a3a5a84b2dea6bfe.jpg.27ea4cb7daf49b07370371c9923192c6.jpg

:goofy:

Sort that top end fuelling out & you have another 3-5hp for free ! :)