Got a Staintune!

VFRBenny

I would never buy one of these suckers at $400.~$600. but $250. off Ebay I can handle.

It's louder than my Delkevic.

They share the same type of design(glass pack style), but the Delkevic seems to use glass and I believe the Staintune uses a steel wool type packing.

I'm only guessing. In the past on my RX3SP it would burn out a glass pack in about 5 weeks, so I had to go to a steelwool pack.

The sound was much different from glass to steel. This is the type of sound difference I hear between the Delkevic and Staintune.

The high mount looks sweet!

4280224686_6954d2b877_o.jpg

4280224694_fe14f4f5a7_o.jpg

4281232494_4c8c24bd88_o.jpg

Nice find!! I love my tune, and the good news is you never have to repack , there is no packing in the pipe!!!!!!!

Why do you think there's no packing? There must be some packing in there, as the muffler is a straight thru type.???

... the good news is you never have to repack , there is no packing in the pipe!!!!!!!

Are you sure? :goofy:

They are 6 years old and they look and sound like they did the day I mounted them.

Mine is at least five years old, and I'm pretty sure it got a bit louder and deeper in tone a few months ago, just like it would if the packing had compressed or blown out.

VFRBenny - did you get a 'spud' (restrictor) with the pipe? If you did, and find later on that the pie is a bit loud, you can cut the 'tail' off the restrictor and insert it. It will be louder than with an unmodified restrictor, but not so obnoxious.

I found I can't stand riding mine for more than a day or so without a restrictor of some sort (I have two - one standard for Warrant of Fitness testing, one shortened for everyday use).

Nice find!! I love my tune, and the good news is you never have to repack , there is no packing in the pipe!!!!!!!

Not true! I once read someone post that Staintunes had baffles like a FlowMaster car muffler! More NetLies!

I email Staintune a few hours ago and got this reply :

We only use Stainless steel wool for packing in all our mufflers.

Doug Cusack

Sales Division

Staintune Australia

51 Cavendish St

Mittagong, NSW 2575

PH: 02 48 713188

... the good news is you never have to repack , there is no packing in the pipe!!!!!!!

Are you sure? :goofy:

They are 6 years old and they look and sound like they did the day I mounted them.

VFRBenny - did you get a 'spud' (restrictor) with the pipe? If you did, and find later on that the pie is a bit loud, you can cut the 'tail' off the restrictor and insert it. It will be louder than with an unmodified restrictor, but not so obnoxious. I found I can't stand riding mine for more than a day or so without a restrictor of some sort (I have two - one standard for Warrant of Fitness testing, one shortened for everyday use).

Well, it's loud but not that loud! I'm one of those gearheads that enjoy the gear whine(and wish it was louder), I rode a couple of hours last night and I'd say the open Staintune is a perfect volume. I like the balance between the engine whine and exhaust note. It's just as pleasing to my ear as good music. I've always been strange that way. When I go to races, I often find a grassy hill, lie down, close my eyes and enjoy the sound of racing.

• Member Contributer

Staintune also makes a Big Bore restrictor, it's what I have on my 4th Gen. Perfect balance between hearing it while riding and not waking up the neighbors. I've got the regular baffle, never thought about 'shortening' it. How much difference does it make?

• Member Contributer

Not true! I once read someone post that Staintunes had baffles like a FlowMaster car muffler! More NetLies!

Doug Cusack

Sales Division

Staintune Australia

51 Cavendish St

Mittagong, NSW 2575

Well I was partially right . Never need packing .... from the Staintune website

There is never a need to internally service or repack a stainless steel muffler because the packing material is a spun stainless steel wool. It will not disintegrate or blow out, ever. There are no rivets and there is no way to open the muffler up to get to the internals.

Doug Cusack

Sales Division

Staintune Australia

51 Cavendish St

Mittagong, NSW 2575

Well I was partially right . Never need packing .... from the Staintune website

There is never a need to internally service or repack a stainless steel muffler because the packing material is a spun stainless steel wool. It will not disintegrate or blow out, ever. There are no rivets and there is no way to open the muffler up to get to the internals.

Your are right in the sense that they need no repacking. I just meant from the type of design, there needs to be packing. If they used Fiberglass(like most others), they would need a repack every couple of years. It's nice that they spend 10x the cost for SS spun wool to give the pipe a maintenance free service life, SS also gives a ripping sound that Glass or synthetics can not. Glass can give a deeper tone but does burn up pretty fast.

• Forum CEO

Last time I rode my bike was in October - I pulled it out today to do some much needed work. I took off my Givi wingrack and found it had rubbed up against my staintune and left some rust marks. I thought that the chrome on the staintune had been rubbed off, it appeared that way. But then I remembered its not Chrome its Stainless Steel! So I got out some sand paper at 220 - 400 - 660 - 1800 - wet sand and buffed it right out shiny as new but with a little dimple where the Givi bar rubbed it. I was amazed at how well it buffed out! Love my Staintunes!

Staintune also makes a Big Bore restrictor, it's what I have on my 4th Gen. Perfect balance between hearing it while riding and not waking up the neighbors. I've got the regular baffle, never thought about 'shortening' it. How much difference does it make?

They didn't have the big-bore restrictor available when I bought the VFR (with Staintune already fitted, which was one of the main reasons I bought it). It's hard to describe it, but the cut-down restrictor is probably mid-way in sound between the stock restrictor and no restrictor; fairly quiet at less than 4k rpm, but with a noticeable snarl when revved. Stock sounds probably about the same as the OEM muffler, whereas the cut-down restrictor would probably just barely fail the official sound limit (97dBA, IIRC).

I periodically take the restrictor out altogether, but I've found it gets on my nerves after a couple of days of commuting, and after about 30 minutes on the highway. The way the noise regulations work here, a police officer can force you to get a sound test done (around $200) just because he *thinks* it sounds loud. Then even with a certificate to say it's passed, there's nothing to stop the process being repeated, ad infinitum, probably because there's no proof the exhaust is in the same condition or is the same exhaust as when the test was conducted. It tends to make a person a bit wary about making too much noise and attracting attention.

Archived