What Spark Plug TYPE you are running on ?

AnikMankar

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which plug are are currently running and whats the performance ?

• NGK Standard
    • NGK Iridium - no change in performance
    • NGK Iridium - with change in performance
    • Denso Iridium - no change in performance
    • Denso Iridium - with change in performance

• Member Contributer

From what i have been reading - it does not matter.

This link show how the difference in spark

Edited by AnikMankar

• Member Contributer

bike wasn't running before, put in Iridium plugs (only about a buck more per plug): VOILA! running. The old plugs *were* fouled...P.O. was running roughly 3 qts too much oil. Doesn't seem like it blew the rings...fingers crossed.

It's like this: I was having some misfiring / stumbling issues, and hadn't changed the plugs for a few years, so I decided to replace them. I asked at one of the local bike shops, and they didn't have standard ones or iridium or platinum ones for the VFR in stock. Furthermore, their prices were pretty high.

On a whim, I decided to ask at the local car parts store. They didn't have any in stock, but said they could get some in 2 hours. Their price for iridiums was cheaper than the platinum ones at the bike shop, and only marginally dearer than the 'standard' NGKs, so I bought them.

The bike seemed to start easier the first time, but doesn't seem an Fasterer! Moar powerful!! than before.

Guest bitterpil

Iridium are stock on 6th gen 06 which is what I have. I just switched off of NGK to Denso. I guess performance is about the same. Hard to tell since I am not trying to tell the difference between standard and Iridium but NGK and Denso Iridium.

Edited by bitterpil

• Member Contributer

I'm running Iridiums on 4th and 5th gens. But I got them because I'm hoping they will hold up longer, not because I expected more power out of them. The 4th gen does seem to start easier with the iridiums though.

• Member Contributer

I'm running Iridiums on 4th and 5th gens. But I got them because I'm hoping they will hold up longer, not because I expected more power out of them. The 4th gen does seem to start easier with the iridiums though.

:offtopic:

Running on a 5th for the same reason...

• Member Contributer

When I saw "What Spark Plug you are running on ?" I could not resist the urge to say:

"Hopefully, all 4 of them"

Good one :offtopic: ! ....maybe my next poll :biggrin:

Guest Badazzteacher

I didn't notice any change in performance, but what I do like is that I won't have to change them (iridiums) again for a long time. What PIA that job is.

• Member Contributer

My understanding was that 6th gens come stock with Iridiums not for any performance gain, but because they last longer and therefore the bike meets emissions standards for longer (or something like that). I know that's the case for certain cars, at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I didn't notice any change in performance, but what I do like is that I won't have to change them (iridiums) again for a long time. What PIA that job is.

Amen. I thought it was bad on the 90...98 was PIA+:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Amen. I thought it was bad on the 90...98 was PIA+:fing02:

VFRs are an absolute cakewalk compared to a ZX-10R. On that bike, you have to remove both seats, 2/3s of the tail cowling, both side fairings, the inner fairing panels, the entire airbox assembly & ram air tubes, the PAIR system, the coolant overflow tank, and actual portions of the frame (not to mention moving the tank and radiator) just to gain access to them. On a 5th-gen you need to lift the tank and unbolt the oil cooler -- consider us very lucky.

BTW, I use NGK Iridiums in all of my supercharged applications; they're great plugs.

• Like 1

The P.O. didn't go through the trouble of removing the radiator to change the front plugs, so he changed the rear plugs out for Champions (I know, wtf was he thinking???). The front plugs were the ORIGINAL NGKs, with 30k on them lol.

The Champions were anything but "champions", both were trashed. The NGKs weren't much better, but they still functioned somewhat (sparked every time, which the Champions did not), though the gap was very far off.

OBVIOUSLY, the P.O. was no purist lol.

I got all NGK plugs, and once I put everything back together and get some miles on her I'll let ya'll know what I think. :goofy:

Oh, and when I saw the title " What Spark Plug TYPE you are running on ?", first thought was "Why don't ya start a 'What Oil?' thread for Christs sake??". :fing02:

Edited by Turbocharged314159

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought Irridium because they last longer then normal plugs.

I expect to get about 30000kmeter with these, where I did 10000~15000 out of normal plugs.

VFRs are an absolute cakewalk compared to a ZX-10R. On that bike, you have to remove both seats, 2/3s of the tail cowling, both side fairings, the inner fairing panels, the entire airbox assembly & ram air tubes, the PAIR system, the coolant overflow tank, and actual portions of the frame (not to mention moving the tank and radiator) just to gain access to them. On a 5th-gen you need to lift the tank and unbolt the oil cooler -- consider us very lucky.

Im glad I read this, a zx10 was a consideration, but thats too much trouble

Edited by spud786

Guest slither

I'm running whatever the PO put in.

When it comes to replace them, I'll go grab whatever equivalent to what the manual says. No need to stress. It's like oil. I use one that fulfills the weight and ASTM specs or whatever it is on that API donut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I was going to order mine from amazon but I ended up going to advance auto just to see. Ended up getting them there for 44 dollars. Rockauto also has them for 10 bucks a plug.

+1 Rockauto .....

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Amen. I thought it was bad on the 90...98 was PIA+ :fing02:

BTW, I use NGK Iridiums in all of my supercharged applications; they're great plugs.

I know cars are different but I tried iridium plugs in my supercharged M3 and it does not like them...Toro, does the forced induction factor in to plug gap at all? I have since been using NGK BKR6E standard copper plugs in this car and changing them every other oil change.

I have Iridium NGKs in my other vehicles including bikes and cars.

• Member Contributer

Took these out after 30000kms or more really dont remember changing them.

Never missed a beat, so new regulars went in.

post-8974-0-76132900-1381315364.jpgpost-8974-0-14705000-1381315303.jpg