6th Gen Custom Exhaust

JTG

• Member Contributer

would you post dimensions? mini plans or the like ? i have microns and though i do love the sound ...they are 1. too quiet b. too long and 3. they don't quite fit the flow of the rear of the bike

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of curiosity I have two questions;

1) If these were the same price as a set of Staintunes which would you choose?

2) If these were a significant amount more than a set of Staintunes which would you choose?

And to answer the third question for you, it wouldn't be worth making these for less than a set of Staintunes... Don't get any ideas though, I'm still about 90% sure I won't produce these for sale.

I now love them as I love Corvettes, Ferrari's and Ducati's....from a far

• Member Contributer
would you post dimensions? mini plans or the like ? i have microns and though i do love the sound ...they are 1. too quiet b. too long and 3. they don't quite fit the flow of the rear of the bike

It might take me a few weeks to get to this, but I would be glad to :laugh: I've been kind of hoping that someone else would give this a try.

• Member Contributer

2) If these were a significant amount more than a set of Staintunes which would you choose?

And to answer the third question for you, it wouldn't be worth making these for less than a set of Staintunes... Don't get any ideas though, I'm still about 90% sure I won't produce these for sale.

I now love them as I love Corvettes, Ferrari's and Ducati's....from a far

+1. I can absolutely say for certain I love these. But would never be able to pay what it would be worth you to make them.

• Member Contributer

Well, the only reason I don't have Staintunes is because I don't like they way they are shaped. If you "decided" to make a finished set of these for that price I might be mighty tempted to say yes. They are totally unique (except for your set) and there for would be worth the price (just as long as you quiet them down just a tad). wink.gif

I don't know the first thing about welding so grabbing a set of your plans would be pretty useless to me unless I can find a local welder willing to do it. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

My son has the Zard exhaust on his 1098, they are a big improvement over the stock Duc cans. The big advantage is that the carbon fiber is cool to the touch, even right after turning off the engine.

Looking at the way they attach to the Ducati exhaust, I believe they could be adapted to a Gen 6.

gallery_2434_526_962750.jpg

4.4 029.JPG

• Member Contributer

That would be sweet...but I am afraid to ask how much that set would run. :laugh:

Never mind....$1200 for something that can be found on Ducatis vs $1000 custom built, I think I would go custom. wink.gif

Edit: But it would be a tough choice. Can you take some measurements for me?

• Member Contributer
Alrightee then, it's done!!... sort of... let me explain, no that would take too long, let me sum up; Humperdink is to marry Buttercup in little less than half hour... uh wrong post sorry :laugh:

Sweet! a Princess Bride reference in a thread that I had been follwoing because it was already so freakin cool.

It looks great for an exhaust that has "been mostly dead all day"...

• Member Contributer

Wow, looks absolutely awesome!

The CF heat sheilds are a very cool idea.

I might be in for a set too, if you were so inclined to make a limited edition production run.

I'm primarily after weight savings, and haven't been able to make a decision on which aftermarket exhaust/headers to go with.

Mac

• Member Contributer

My son paid $950 for the Zard exhaust, I will take a tape measure to it, and post them here.

• Member Contributer
My son paid $950 for the Zard exhaust, I will take a tape measure to it, and post them here.

:fing02: And where did he get them for that price? wink.gif

• Member Contributer
My son has the Zard exhaust on his 1098, they are a big improvement over the stock Duc cans. The big advantage is that the carbon fiber is cool to the touch, even right after turning off the engine.

Looking at the way they attach to the Ducati exhaust, I believe they could be adapted to a Gen 6.

4.4 029.JPG

SOMEBODY DO THAT!!!! I WANT TO SEE THIS :blink: It would be kind of an expensive venture by the time you had a custom midpipe made but I bet this would look great!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Quick update; My wife and I went out on ACH and took some video so you can see and hear the exhaust in action, but I'm still editing it together. I'm also working on modifying the ends of the heat shields, and there will be a different finish when I'm all done.

In case you haven't read my other thread, I'm selling the bike because my first child is on the way!! However I really wanted to finish this project just for my own satisfaction :wheel:

By the way, I'm really loving the sound of these pipes now that I've had them on for a while :fing02:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I still haven't finished the stinkin' video :blink:

But on the upside I've started working on the tapered ends for the heat shields :beer: This is just a rough cut, the ends need to be trimmed to match up with the rest of the heat shield.

gallery_11529_3041_406659.jpg

Heat shield end caps

We have friends staying with us for a week, so maybe next weekend I'll get these mounted. I held them in place and I think it will really help the looks of these pipes :goofy:

This should make Timmy happy but I'm considering finishing the cans in either a flat or semi gloss black :ph34r:

In the meantime I'll try to get back to work on the video.

Cheers,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I got the pipes off the bike to do some more work, and weighed them while I was at it.

In this corner weighing in at a svelte 11 lbs is... my exhaust...

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So... I meant to post this picture a while ago but I forgot :blink: Sorting through my pictures today I found this one, and thought I would show off what the final version looked like.

gallery_11529_3041_400039.jpg

Here is the original post

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49826

Since then, I added onto the ends of the heat shields, painted them black, and polished the lip around the exhaust opening. I was contemplating creating version 2.0 this winter, but I just picked up a project bike which will more than likely consume all my free time.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to sell the bike pictured, so I have it hooked up to a battery tender until this spring when I'll try again to sell it either with the custom or stock exhaust. I did take some video footage of the bike on Angeles Crest Highway about 8 months ago, but I never edited it together... I'd like to finish that, but I don't see that happening in the near future. :dry:

So I didn't do any editing, I just pasted three clips together but that's better than nothing right? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

That looks great :fing02:

I don't suppose you'd be able to post a sound file?

I think instead of trying to edit a video together, I'll just post one of the clips. I'll try to get that done tonight. No promises though :schla15:

Archived