6th Gen Custom Exhaust

JTG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been watching the development as well and I have to say that those look SICK! I can't wait to see them on and have a sound clip! Great Job! Anxiously waiting!

Great looking pipes. Maybe for the heat shields you could use the originals to make moulds and lay some CF ones up?

That is a VERY good idea... I've never worked with carbon fiber before but I'm sure I could figure it out... hmm, I'll have to start looking into that but for the moment I think I'll still mount up the existing heat shields. Thanks for the suggestion :cool:

Travis, aka,...Riv, "The Travi", MR. A$-HAT. is your man for CF info :biggrin:

You could probably sell CF heat shields to people who like their stock systems but still want a bit of bling.

• Member Contributer

Are they on yet, are they on yet, are they on yet?

Just teasing.

No but really.

:dry:

• Member Contributer

Just teasing.

No but really.

:biggrin:

Believe me, I really want to see them on the bike :biggrin: . I'm hoping to attach the heat shields tomorrow night, maybe get them on the bike Thursday night, and then Friday morning I'm headed out to piss off all the neighbors :fing02: If all goes well I may even have a video by this weekend :cool:

• Member Contributer

For all you folks that want to get into TIG welding, Miller recently introduced a new "Tig Welder for Dummies".......The Diversion 165. I bought on to replace my Syncorwave 180SD which was simply too big and used too much curent for my shop wiring. I couldn't be more plreased with the diversion. A great, easy to use, cheap ($1200), tig welder. Does Aluminum and Stainless steel extremely well.

Here's the cart I bought from Harbor Freight tools and modified..............

P1010509-vi.jpg

P1010508-vi.jpg

P1010524-vi.jpg

• Member Contributer
For all you folks that want to get into TIG welding, Miller recently introduced a new "Tig Welder for Dummies".......The Diversion 165. I bought on to replace my Syncorwave 180SD which was simply too big and used too much curent for my shop wiring. I couldn't be more plreased with the diversion. A great, easy to use, cheap ($1200), tig welder. Does Aluminum and Stainless steel extremely well.

Here's the cart I bought from Harbor Freight tools and modified..............

P1010509-vi.jpg

Those are cool little TIG welders, takes all the guesswork out which would be great for beginners. It also looks more portable than the lump that I bought :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Alrightee then, it's done!!... sort of... let me explain, no that would take too long, let me sum up; Humperdink is to marry Buttercup in little less than half hour... uh wrong post sorry :blush:

Anyway, it sounds great :musik20: I'm not sure yet if it's too loud for me, but I'll give it a few weeks before making that decision.

The fit and finish is ok, I could have done better but I got a little impatient with this. I may take it off again when I have time and try to clean it up a little.

As for the looks... meh... I think they're a little too small the proportions don't quite work for me, and I'm not crazy about how the heat shields worked out. What I'm trying to say is that there will be probably be a version 2.0 in 6 months or so :cool:

I think my favorite part of the whole project was cutting through the label on the inside of the cans that says something about emissions, noise regulations, blah, blah, BRRAAAAHHHKKKEEKDK!!! That's the sound of the sawzall hacking the pipes in half :fing02:

The welder worked great, I didn't have any problems with it short of me being a little out of practice and sticking the welding rod to the tungsten a few times :mad: I also forgot to ground the piece a couple times and I had the welder set for High Frequency start instead of using the lift-arc feature. For those of you that don't TIG weld, with the welder set on high frequency if the piece isn't grounded the current will attempt to find the next best thing to a ground which is usually you! :blink: It's basically like being electrocuted and it F'in HURTS!!! :mad:

At any rate, here's a picture that I took with my phone at work today. I will get out over the weekend and take some more pictures and a video. Oh, and I never did mention what exhaust inspired me, it was on a Ducati 1098 but there were no labels so it may have been custom, but because of that I've been referring to this project as my Duconda 808 exhaust... I know it's cheesy, but it was either that or Hondati :goofy:

gallery_11529_3041_12562.jpg

Duconda 808 Exhaust

• Member Contributer

What is the complaint, with the shields? I'll Trade you for a stock set.? ? ?--????????? .02, would have shot for a 2.0" dia, scaled baffle, for each side, and rolled in some grill work, on the inside of the end cap.

(In my imaginary world). LOL. Wheres that damn sound clip? LOL.

I LOVE IT!!

• Member Contributer

Lately I am to lazy to comment because I have to login....but I had to for this....

LOVE THEM :musik20: :fing02:

My only complaint about the 6'th gen, is the exhaust.....Honda should have made the OEM like that!!

• Member Contributer

I don't care what you say,,,, those are bad ass. They are not too short and not too long. Where's the sound clip? From the looks of things, I bet they roar.

So since these are the proto types,,,, when are you going into a full production run,,,, "JTG Cans" Has a nice ring to it. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Like the pipes, but your shiny RF-1000 teetering on your seat is making me nervous. :fing02:

Very nice! I like the length, but would be tempted to bring the heat shields closer to the cans or roll the rear facing edges down a bit to get rid of that gap look.

The Duc exhaust you were referencing is made by Zard, european company, if I'm not mistaken...

ducati1098_01_1024.jpg

I think they're a little too small the proportions don't quite work for me,

I think they would look better being a tiny bit wider, but still they look great the way they are now. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Man - they look "les testicles de chien" nice job!

• Member Contributer
Man - they look "les testicles de chien" nice job!

I think Honda needs to take this as their cue.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I think I'm starting to like them more, it's just that what I had pictured in my head was slightly different from what I actually got so I think I was a little disappointed. In the meantime I'm going to work on some drawings of version 2.0. I like the suggestions from V4 Rosso and SEBSPEED about rolling in the edges of the heat shields and making the cans a little wider to fill in under the tail light. I'll see what I can do :laugh:

The video and audio clip and some more pictures will be coming this weekend... wait for it... :cool:

As for a production run... I'm not so sure about that, I owned a metal fabrication shop for 6 years working mostly in stainless and there are many good reasons I no longer have that shop. Trying to manufacture anything in the U.S. on a small scale is extremely difficult, especially in a state like California which is determined to put all small company's out of business. I started this as a fun project for myself not with the intent of producing quantities to sell, but I will at least look into it and see what it would cost to produce a small run of JTG Pipes. On the other hand if anyone else out there has the ability and the interest in making these, by all means take my design and run with it you have my blessing! :biggrin:

Oh and yes, I think that Zard exhaust is what I saw on the Ducati.

• Member Contributer
As for a production run... I'm not so sure about that, I owned a metal fabrication shop for 6 years working mostly in stainless and there are many good reasons I no longer have that shop. Trying to manufacture anything in the U.S. on a small scale is extremely difficult, especially in a state like California which is determined to put all small company's out of business. I started this as a fun project for myself not with the intent of producing quantities to sell, but I will at least look into it and see what it would cost to produce a small run of JTG Pipes. On the other hand if anyone else out there has the ability and the interest in making these, by all means take my design and run with it you have my blessing! :biggrin:

You could sign me up for a set of those SHOULD you do a limited run. Super hot! You should have weighed them from before to after to see how much weight you shaved off. :laugh:

And please don't bash me too hard for this but is there an option to pack them with some noise reducing material? I love the VFR's growl without a doubt but too loud ends up giving me a headache and attracts the attention of all the LEO's...

• Member Contributer
Like the pipes, but your shiny RF-1000 teetering on your seat is making me nervous. :comp13:

Meh, I've been doing that for years and the only time I dropped my helmet was when I hung it from one of my mirrors :huh:

• Member Contributer
You could sign me up for a set of those SHOULD you do a limited run. Super hot! You should have weighed them from before to after to see how much weight you shaved off. :comp13:

And please don't bash me too hard for this but is there an option to pack them with some noise reducing material? I love the VFR's growl without a doubt but too loud ends up giving me a headache and attracts the attention of all the LEO's...

I used the very accurate scale of one exhaust in each hand, and I'd have to say I lost between 5 to 10 lbs give or take 5 to 10 lbs :blink: I have no idea really but it's definitely lighter :huh:

And it wouldn't be very hard to make these a little quieter, although once you're at freeway speed the only thing you hear is wind noise :wheel: However around town it is quite apparent that things have become more melodious :musik20:

• Member Contributer

Just out of curiosity I have two questions;

1) If these were the same price as a set of Staintunes which would you choose?

2) If these were a significant amount more than a set of Staintunes which would you choose?

And to answer the third question for you, it wouldn't be worth making these for less than a set of Staintunes... Don't get any ideas though, I'm still about 90% sure I won't produce these for sale.

that looks fantastic! i think this is one of only a handful of mods on the site that really looks awesome on the bike.

if there was a subtle modification to next model year this would fit right in.

Archived