6th Gen Custom Exhaust

JTG

• Member Contributer

So... I meant to post this picture a while ago but I forgot. Sorting through my pictures today I found this one, and thought I would show off what the final version looked like.

gallery_11529_3041_400039.jpg

Since then, I added onto the ends of the heat shields, painted them black, and polished the lip around the exhaust opening. I was contemplating creating version 2.0 this winter, but I just picked up a project bike which will more than likely consume all my free time.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to sell the bike pictured, so I have it hooked up to a battery tender until this spring when I'll try again to sell it either with the custom or stock exhaust. I did take some video footage of the bike on Angeles Crest Highway about 8 months ago, but I never edited it together... I'd like to finish that, but I don't see that happening in the near future. :biggrin:

So I didn't do any editing, I just pasted three clips together but that's better than nothing right? +1.gif

Here is the original post
When I was up in Monterey last summer over the MotoGP weekend I saw an exhaust on another bike that I thought would look sweet on a VFR. It looked easy enough for me to fabricate but I wanted to do it in stainless, and since I sold my fabrication shop and all the equipment in it I no longer had a TIG welder. I looked around for a little to try and find someone to fabricate it for me, but I'm just too particular a fabricator and I've been doing it for nearly 18 years so I really wanted to handle the work myself.

I believe I mentioned to a few guys at SGVRidgeRunners farewell ride that I had something in the works and now almost a year later I can finally begin!! +1.gif

Here's a picture of the welder and everything that came with it. I still need to get a regulator, some stainless rod, and tungsten. I'll be posting more pictures of the progress in the coming weeks and months to follow.

gallery_11529_4397_4826.jpg
Miller Syncrowave 250

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice, would like to have one of those one of these days. What is your electrical solution or are you not doing this at home?

And, when can you start mfg on some vf1000r 4-1 exhausts? +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Nice, would like to have one of those one of these days. What is your electrical solution or are you not doing this at home?

And, when can you start mfg on some vf1000r 4-1 exhausts? +1.gif

About 75% of my tools are at work already so that's where I'll be doing this and the power requirements are 230V single phase 110amps. Theoretically I could wire this up at home but it will be much easier at work.

As for the VF1000R... +1.gif

Good luck to you, I am very jealous! Not only do I not have a TIG yet, but I'm not sure my wiring setup at my home is stout enough to run one either!

So far, I've still been able to sneak the small stuff through at work...

• Member Contributer
About 75% of my tools are at work already so that's where I'll be doing this and the power requirements are 230V single phase 110amps.

110 amps?!? :blink:

To do that at home you would have to add a whole new fuse panel! :cool:

Good thing you have some place at work to do it. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
About 75% of my tools are at work already so that's where I'll be doing this and the power requirements are 230V single phase 110amps.

110 amps?!? :blink:

To do that at home you would have to add a whole new fuse panel! :ph34r:

Good thing you have some place at work to do it. :491:

It helps to have an electrical contractor in the family :biggrin:

I supply the materials, the beer, the meat and potatos, then he takes care of the rest. I just have to keep the green stuff off his plate, like salads and broccoli otherwise it's a deal breaker :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As a teaser, here are the baffles that I just finished for the new exhaust :laugh:

Don't ask me why one tube is perforated and the other isn't, I'm just making this up as I go along :biggrin: I wish there was a way to test the sound before I weld everything together, but I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope I like how it sounds when it's done...

gallery_11529_4397_11141.jpg

Exhaust Baffles

• Member Contributer

I also made a cart for my new (to me) welder. It still needs to get painted and a plywood shelf under the water cooler but I like how it turned out.

gallery_11529_4397_203812.jpg

Welder Cart

• Member Contributer
I also made a cart for my new (to me) welder. It still needs to get painted and a plywood shelf under the water cooler but I like how it turned out.

gallery_11529_4397_203812.jpg

Welder Cart

Nice set-up! Keep posting pictures and updates on your project. Thanks, JD

I think a cart is probably the first thing every new weld machine owner makes, and they always seem to be a little different.

I built a workbench with mine, and stuck the welder underneath.

I'm jealous. All I seem to want to do right now is exactly what your doing. Unfortunately I don't have the funds for a welder so I fabricated my own exhaust can baffle and end cap with my cheap oxy/actly. Little ugly but it worked :fing02: . I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Water cooled tig torch is the best way to go. :blink: Nice and light, easy to move around. NEVER get hot like an air cooled one welding alum. LOL Like your cart. :laugh: Got my eye on a new leftover Lincoln 225 at the local welding supply. Trying to talk the wife into it is HARD! :blink:

• Member Contributer
Water cooled tig torch is the best way to go. :cool: Nice and light, easy to move around. NEVER get hot like an air cooled one welding alum. LOL Like your cart. :fing02: Got my eye on a new leftover Lincoln 225 at the local welding supply. Trying to talk the wife into it is HARD! :dry:

I taught my wife how to TIG a few years ago and she really likes it! So it wasn't too hard to sell her on buying one :cool:

Just tell her that you can make some extra money with it and then you can afford to take that vacation she's always wanted to Italy, or Hawaii, or where ever :cool:

i am guessing this is for a 6th gen vfr. I was thinking of picking up a set of stock pipes. Gut them and make hi-po exhaust internals for the cases. It looks like you are doing pretty much the same thing.

• Member Contributer
i am guessing this is for a 6th gen vfr. I was thinking of picking up a set of stock pipes. Gut them and make hi-po exhaust internals for the cases. It looks like you are doing pretty much the same thing.

Sort of, except I'm also changing the shape of the cans, the end caps and the heat shields so they'll look nothing like the stock cans when I'm done :cool: There will be more pictures of the progress soon!

Yes I should have specified that this is for a 6th Gen, but I'll be interested to see what you come up with for your version :cool:

Water cooled tig torch is the best way to go. :biggrin: Nice and light, easy to move around. NEVER get hot like an air cooled one welding alum. LOL Like your cart. :biggrin: Got my eye on a new leftover Lincoln 225 at the local welding supply. Trying to talk the wife into it is HARD! :laugh:

I taught my wife how to TIG a few years ago and she really likes it! So it wasn't too hard to sell her on buying one :biggrin:

Just tell her that you can make some extra money with it and then you can afford to take that vacation she's always wanted to Italy, or Hawaii, or where ever :goofy:

I tried to talk the wife into a couple of my projects. No dice. Now I just take what I need welded to work. I have everything there. One of my duties at work is I'm in charge of the welding maintenance. When ever I need a new toy. I try to fit it in the buget. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I made some progress this weekend +1.gif

Here is the exhaust with the bottoms of the cans cut off and the baffles plug welded in place. You probably can't tell form the pictures but I've also cut off about 3" from the length.

gallery_11529_3041_254498.jpg

DSC00002.JPG

Here are some pictures of the endcaps, with one finished and the other in progress.

gallery_11529_3041_231003.jpg

DSC00014.JPG

gallery_11529_3041_280564.jpg

DSC00016.JPG

gallery_11529_3041_90496.jpg

DSC00017.JPG

And finally here are the end caps welded onto the cans. I still have a lot to do, but next I'm going to pack the area around the baffles with fiberglass and then cut and weld the sheet metal in place for the bottom of the cans.

gallery_11529_3041_98768.jpg

DSC00020.JPG

I'm still working out the design for the heat shields, but hopefully I'll be able to get to that in the next few weeks :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's another picture with the cans all welded together, sorry for the poor quality I only had my cell phone camera this time. I trimmed the ends and the bottoms of the stock heat shields but they're just resting on top of the cans, I haven't worked out the attachment yet this is just to show their rough position. Originally I had intended to get a little more creative with the heat shields but I'm quickly running out of interest in working on this project and just want to get it on the bike :biggrin:

What I can say at this point is that working with the stock cans is a royal pain in the butt, and given a chance I would NOT do this again. I'm pleased with the result so far but if I do anything like this again I will build the cans completely from scratch.

Enjoy the picture for now and I'm hoping to have this completely wrapped up in the next couple weeks!

gallery_11529_3041_168282.jpg

Almost done!

Here's another picture with the cans all welded together, sorry for the poor quality I only had my cell phone camera this time. I trimmed the ends and the bottoms of the stock heat shields but they're just resting on top of the cans, I haven't worked out the attachment yet this is just to show their rough position. Originally I had intended to get a little more creative with the heat shields but I'm quickly running out of interest in working on this project and just want to get it on the bike :biggrin:

What I can say at this point is that working with the stock cans is a royal pain in the butt, and given a chance I would NOT do this again. I'm pleased with the result so far but if I do anything like this again I will build the cans completely from scratch.

Enjoy the picture for now and I'm hoping to have this completely wrapped up in the next couple weeks!

gallery_11529_3041_168282.jpg

Almost done!

Those are looking sweet !!

• Member Contributer

Those pipes look pretty damm good. You've gotta put an audio clip of them on here once their back on the bike. :biggrin:

Great looking pipes. Maybe for the heat shields you could use the originals to make moulds and lay some CF ones up?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the compliments, I will definitely work on an audio clip once I have the pipes on the bike :fing02:

Great looking pipes. Maybe for the heat shields you could use the originals to make moulds and lay some CF ones up?

That is a VERY good idea... I've never worked with carbon fiber before but I'm sure I could figure it out... hmm, I'll have to start looking into that but for the moment I think I'll still mount up the existing heat shields. Thanks for the suggestion :dry:

• Member Contributer

AWwwwwwwwwww! You bastard! I'm jealous, like you wouldn't believe, now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those look awesome! 10 bucks says they sound just EVIL!

Wanna do mine, next? LOL.

Archived