How to install LED turn signal on '06 and newer.

coderighter

• Member Contributer

Starting in '06, Honda started using a simpler turn signal switch with a special light relay that contains the flasher for the turn signals. They also changed the front signal bulbs from 7443 (21w/8w) to 7440 (21w). When the turn signal is not active, the voltage to the front bulbs is around 6VDC to show like a 8w bulb to give you running lights. The left the old pre-'06 flasher in place for the hazard lights.

If you try to install LED's you'll get the fast you-have-a-bulb-out flash, and depending on the LED bulb, no running lights.

I removed the special light control relay and hazard flasher and replaced with this-

gallery_15527_4691_228714.jpg'06 and newer flasher mod for LED

The flasher is the standard electronic '35'. Some label it 'FL','EL','EF',or 'FL'. The main thing is that it's the electronic version.

You will need to cut trace or pin for leg 7 on the IC. See here-

http://evnut.com/rav_flasher.htm

The blocking diodes could be any _001 or _004. I just happen to have a bunch of 7004's laying around.

All resistors 1/4 watt

The 2.8k resistors to ground are to get the flasher to see a load. LEDs present almost no load until they start conducting. If the flasher won't trigger with your bulbs, decrease the value until it does. If you get to 1k or less, you have another problem.

The voltage regulator is where you set the voltage level for the running lights. The regulator is good for 1.5 amps. I have mine set around 9VDC. At 9VDC both my bulbs draw less than a .25 amp, yours may be a little different depending on voltage and bulbs. The fuse is to protect the regulator from the use of standard bulbs.

I have it set so that if the hazard lights are on, the running lights are disabled to conserve battery. (I know, that was a little over the top)

I have another method that is actually simpler, but not sure if it would be legal. In that version, the front running lights would be full bright and would flash off-on with the turn signal. The problem would be that they would flash opposite the rears. Would that be illegal? Humm.....

Post up any questions.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

If you are just adding led's as turn signal flashers and keeping the stock turn signals, do you need a load resistor? I'm assuming that you would just tap into the rear turn signals in parallel. Are the rear turn signal's running on common ground?

I just added LED running lights and brake lights to my Givi E450 top box, and I left space to put some LED's in for turn signals. I'm using the waterproof strip LED's from superbrightleds.com. The running lights installed just fine, and the extra brake lights are tied into the brake light flasher that I already had and are working nicely. I'm just a little unsure about installing the turn signals.

Thanks,

Dan

• Member Contributer

You could also just buy a aftermarket flasher already made for low loads such as LED lights, as well as the same type/pin out of your stock flasher.

http://autolumination.com/

There are a few other places to source such items as well besides Autolumination.

p

Won't work on '06 and newer because the single filament bulb in front is both the turn signal and the running light.

• Member Contributer

You could also just buy a aftermarket flasher already made for low loads such as LED lights, as well as the same type/pin out of your stock flasher.

There are a few other places to source such items as well besides Autolumination.

That's actually the electronic flasher he's talking about. Same thing.

• Member Contributer

p

Won't work on '06 and newer because the single filament bulb in front is both the turn signal and the running light.

That's what I was concerned about. So if I tap into the rear turn signals with a parallel circuit for my add-on LED's I'm going to mess up my turn signal rate? I've found all kinds of conflicting information by searching. Custom Dynamics says you don't need a load equalizer if you are adding LED turn signals, but you do if you are replacing your turn signals with LED's. I can see how wiring LED's in parallel is going to drop the load on the circuit, but wiring them in series will dim the regular bulbs (I think).

Oh well, the parts are already shipped. I'll wire them up and see what happens. The LED strips I put in my top case for running lights and brake lights turned out really well. I think turn signals would make a nice add on...