Very nice quality battery for little money!

VFRBenny

I've have my VFR for a couple of months. When ever I buy a bike I start off with new fluids and a new battery. This bike was no different. The first week I had it I bought a Yuasa battery @ a little over $100.

Last week the battery failed! I got up to go to work, went to start the bike and got nothing, no lights. Put a volt meter to the battery and go zero volts. I put in the old battery and went to work.

Cycle gear offered me a new battery at no cost, I oped for a refund instead. I went for a newer brand out of China called MotoBatt (ebay item), I had read a pretty good review of this brand and thought I'd give it a try.

This is the strongest battery I've ever had in any bike! The bike starts faster and the resting voltage is much higher than my old battery or the Yuasa. This Motobatt has a very nice build quality and is also rated much higher than stock. Also, the headlights dim very little at idle, compared to the last two batteries.

MotoBatt link

Thanks, my 3 yr. old Yuasa is about dead in my '99. How are the hookups on this? Any pics of it in your Y2K?

I forgot to mention, the hook ups are stupid! I had to tin snip my cable end ears to get a good contact.

4101973604_61517d1054_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, my 3 yr. old Yuasa is about dead in my '99. How are the hookups on this? Any pics of it in your Y2K?

I forgot to mention, the hook ups are stupid! I had to tin snip my cables to get a good contact.

4101973604_61517d1054_b.jpg

? You had to cut your cables? Or did they supply a bolt on tab that connected to your cable?

Nice bike btw! :fing02:

I forgot to mention, the hook ups are stupid! I had to tin snip my cables to get a good contact.

? You had to cut your cables? Or did they supply a bolt on tab that connected to your cable?

Nice bike btw! :fing02:

vfrcapn,

I believe this is the battery he may be referring to.

Also the manufacturer.

It looks like the battery has modular posts so that a small number of base batteries can serve many applications.

I considered it as well when I was had some electrical problems and needed a new battery a couple of months ago. I ended up going OEM, seeing where as the last one was at least 5 years old and had served well through two rectifier replacements.

I'll be interesting to get some first hand reports on the battery performance. You'll need to let us know how it works out, VFRBenny. smile.gif

MJ

• Member Contributer

The "snipping" was probably to the crimped terminals on the ends of the cables--they are not flat, and this battery looks like it needs flat ends on the cables in order to seat solidly on the battery terminals. The battery looks good (from the pictures!) There's nothing preventing Chinese manufacturers [correction--Malaysian!] from producing a high-quality, inexpensive battery if they choose to, and what sets this one apart is the novel, "universal" design. They appear to have taken AGM battery design to a more practical level. Now, if they haven't skimped on the internal design/construction, we could have a winner...

Ciao,

I guess the biggest question is how LONG these low cost batteries will last, but you can buy3-4 of them for the price of a Yulsa. :fing02:

Ebay seller batterygeek1 is great and carries sealed (AGM?)sub $30 to Yulsa batteries for the VFR and most any bike.

I bought one of the cheapies just to have laying around and when I received it one terminal post was damaged in shipping (these post are not as stout as most batteries)so I emailed him and I had a free replacement within days and was told to keep the damaged one to and after straightening the terminal it's in my track vtec. :fing02:

This is the cheap end battery and he has ytz12s Yulsa's for $103.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-YTX12-BS-Battery-TRIUMPH-SCRAMBLER-TRIPLE-VFR800_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29ffe6fcfdQQitemZ180386987261QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Seller and product and great so far! :wheel:

batterygeek1 ( 4316 [Feedback score is 1,000 to 4,999] ) [Get fast shipping and excellent service from Top-rated sellers.] Member is a PowerSeller

99.9%

eBay Store: The Battery Geek

BR

I guess the biggest question is how LONG these low cost batteries will last, but you can buy3-4 of them for the price of a Yulsa. :fing02:

Ebay seller batterygeek1 is great and carries sealed (AGM?)sub $30 to Yulsa batteries for the VFR and most any bike.

I bought one of the cheapies just to have laying around and when I received it one terminal post was damaged in shipping (these post are not as stout as most batteries)so I emailed him and I had a free replacement within days and was told to keep the damaged one to and after straightening the terminal it's in my track vtec. :fing02:

This is the cheap end battery and he has ytz12s Yulsa's for $103.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-YTX12-BS-Battery-TRIUMPH-SCRAMBLER-TRIPLE-VFR800_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29ffe6fcfdQQitemZ180386987261QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Seller and product and great so far! :wheel:

batterygeek1 ( 4316 [Feedback score is 1,000 to 4,999] ) [Get fast shipping and excellent service from Top-rated sellers.] Member is a PowerSeller

99.9%

eBay Store: The Battery Geek

BR

Sure, but its not yellow!

I lost faith in OEM batteries long ago. The battery that came in the bike lasted less than a year. Left me stuck in the drive through at the bank. The bike shop wanted over $110 for the OEM and I got one at Batteries Plus (I think) for half that and 3 years later it still cooks. Wal-Mart batteries will also live 2-3 times longer than any Yuasa I had on the Wings. Usually I believe you get what you pay for. Not with batteries.

I lost faith in OEM batteries long ago. The battery that came in the bike lasted less than a year. Left me stuck in the drive through at the bank. The bike shop wanted over $110 for the OEM and I got one at Batteries Plus (I think) for half that and 3 years later it still cooks. Wal-Mart batteries will also live 2-3 times longer than any Yuasa I had on the Wings. Usually I believe you get what you pay for. Not with batteries.

Maybe you should turn your key off, JK.

I have a 5 year old yuasa in my wing, and the vfr's is 3 years old.

I still have the original batteries on both my 2000 VFR and my 2002 SV650S. I put them on a battery tender as soon as I get home from a ride, I have 6 battery tenders taking care of all my batteries, ATV, dirt bikes, travel trailer, etc.

I have never had an electrical problem with any of my bikes. The secret is that you never over work your charging system, never, and you never replace stators and R/R's, and you never get stuck smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I've had my VFR for over 2 years and had to replace my battery last month. The Yuasa was in it before I bought it so I can not remember if the previous owner replaced it or if its the stock battery. I ride year round so the battery isn't sitting for long periods.

I had to have her up and running so I spent $50 on an Everstart Maxx SC-12 (no maintance). The SC-14 is too tall but I've read over and over post that it would fit. It would if I cut off the top of the battery holder I think, but I'm not hacking up my bike for a few more amps.

I'm trying to remember what the battery cable ends look like; but I'm thinking maybe they could have been turned upside down for use on this battery?

Yep, upside down would work but the ground cable is in bad shape so I just snipped the sides. I'll be installing a better quality ground the next time I work on it.

Cheap batteries are just that. If you have to modify parts to fit a cheap battery, no thanks.

I use to feel this way as well, but lately I've seen more and more of the TopDog(Yuasa) fail. The Yuasa I installed was made in china, it was $103. If I wanted a Japanese Yuasa, it was going to run $190.

I've read two stellar reviews on the MotoBatt, so I tried one. I cant know how long it will last, but it's showing better voltage than the yuasa or the Honda battery that it replaced. After 24 hours at rest this Motobatt reads 13.24 volts with a good Fluke meter.

Made in China is no longer a guaranty of low quality.

I still have the original batteries on both my 2000 VFR and my 2002 SV650S. I put them on a battery tender as soon as I get home from a ride, I have 6 battery tenders taking care of all my batteries, ATV, dirt bikes, travel trailer, etc.

I have never had an electrical problem with any of my bikes. The secret is that you never over work your charging system, never, and you never replace stators and R/R's, and you never get stuck smile.gif

In texas, Batteries due to heat dont last much over 4 year , but my OEM on the VFR lasted alittle over 2 years and 45,000 mile, till it started gettign weak. I was about to start using electrics and didnt need battery issues. I went to the ST1300 Yuasa, would be the same Next time $120 and when my stator failed I kill the battery all the way down till the bike died in the middle of the road, My battery tender plus recovered the battery nicely.

My bike was on full battery tender every week, I still had a stator fail, dont count the chickens just yet. But I think your right in those that allow serious battery degrade can cause harm to the system trying to charge the battery becuse its in a constant weak state.

Archived