Where HeliBars left off, my new bars succeed!!

VFRBenny

Last week I rode a 99 vfr with Helibars, I was not blown away by the big buzz about them! they were a little better than stock, but did not take it far enough(IMO). Also last week I found a member selling a set of bars for a VF1000f.

I looked hard at them and thought, those look like they may work on my vfr. So I bought them and the difference over stock is fantastic! The bike is now so comfy. I did need to drill holes for the control stops. And the bars are hollow, so vibs are felt more. But this is what Honda should have offered in a touring version of the VFR.:blink:

4151340981_b3c2a71db8_o.jpg

4151340969_d11bea6814_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

GREAT, easy mod. :blink:

The only downside I can see (besides color mismatch) would be finding a nice straight pair from these now 25 year old specimens; can't be that many floating around as the 1000's didn't sell in near the numbers of the 500/750's. When I had a CBX with 39mm forks, a popular mod was to add VF750f bars for a lower, more sportier, position as the stockers where incredibly tall.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a great touring mod. Does the brake lever contact the upper fairing at full lock? My Heli bars I agree are just enough difference to notice but for touring yours would be much more comfortable.

Now all you have to do is powder coat the upper triple to match like I did. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Convertibars are great and they go as high as you can go on a VFR...without modding the fairing.

Did you have any problems relocating the hoses, electrics, etc when installing the VF1000F bars?

By the way they still appear as being available from some dealers.For over $300 a pair!

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/1/Suzuki.aspx

All is good, but the accelerator cables get tight at full right turn.

The difference from stock to these is only a little over 1 inch at the riser. THE advantage is in the angle, as the stock has a down angle and the vf1000 is at 90*. So at the ends, where talking over a two inch.

And there's no interferance issues, as these bars are further back, they don't contact the fairing. and there higher on the ends and don't hit the tank.

Edited by HispanicSlammer

• Member Contributer

I've got Helibars on my '98. I can sit straight up and even leaned back, and still reach the right grip with my thumb and forefinger (my left hand won't reach like this). Very comfy, and what more do you need on high speed low volume traffic slab cruising? goofy.gif

For straight slabbing, Those puppies look tasty, w/out losing any road feel (You need it on the CA freeways :comp13: ).

I like my helis because they are in-between, MUCH more relaxed position than stock, but leaned forward just a bit for a nice sporty feel.

In Asia they use the 'Ceptors for police duty and the bars those guys have look fricken sweet! Wish I coulda found a used pair while I was over there :fing02:

And they get adjustable windscreens too!

• 10 months later...