Another Inverted Fork Conversion (6th Gen)

VFR800R

• Member Contributer

Very cool. Can't wait for the finished product.

I wanted to convert my bike to radial brakes using adaptors for the RC51 forks and use 330mm CBR 929/854 rotors, but the extra expense was a deterrent.

So I just got new 320mm rotors and called it a day.

One of my rotors was badly bent in the crash, so I needed at least one new rotor anyhow........

gallery_554_5200_815276.jpg

Nice. Are those Braking wavy rotors?

Lacy

VFR800R, nice job! :fing02: How do you like the wheel paint?

Veefer800Canuck, get yourself some HRC Hard Bite brake pads for the RC51 calipers. :fing02:

Nice. Are those Braking wavy rotors?

Lacy

Not so much, no. :unsure:

chinamap.gif

But I DO have a spare set of OEM rotors waiting in the wings if the Eastern Knockoff rotors don't pan out.

They came with my replacement front wheel, so I hung on to them until I see how the wavy ones go.

Veefer800Canuck, get yourself some HRC Hard Bite brake pads for the RC51 calipers. :fing02:

I have EBC HH pads which have been working fine up until now. They were hardly worn before the crash, and I was using them on the OEM rotors.

I simply removed them and sanded them down to refresh them and reinstalled them on the Chinese rotors.

• Member Contributer

VFR800R, nice job! :computer-noworky: How do you like the wheel paint?

Rusty,

Thanks! The wheel paint turned out awesome; I was just going to leave the triple bare, but guilt took over and I decided to shoot it despite its out-of-the-way location. The Duplicolor primer and paint looks good; we'll see how it lasts!

Lacy

• Member Contributer

All right, time for some beauty shots...

gallery_10025_5394_69336.jpg

I found a place in New Bedford, MA, that does powdercoating and machining (Allpage Inc.). They stripped the 8 spoke Enkei 3rd generation VFR750 wheel I had mounted to my VTEC and powdercoated it Sahara Gold. I (somewhat impatiently) had them order and coat the wheel without getting a paint chip (powder chip?!?) to check the color better against the Marvic magnesium front wheel I was trying to match it to, so the color is further off than I would like. It doesn't come out well in the photos, but the newly coated rear is somewhat brighter than the Marvic, which looks like a dirtier color of gold. Oh well, I kept telling myself that the two wheels would be 5 feet apart, the front would be partially covered by the rotors/forks/calipers/fender, and that it would only be really noticeable on the right side of the bike. We'll see how it all looks when it's bolted together in the sunlight...

gallery_10025_5394_55647.jpg

gallery_10025_5394_381680.jpg

I also had them strip and coat the aluminum nuts I have been using, which is awesome except... the powder is thick enough that the socket doesn't fit, and unfortunately there isn't a standard (English unit) socket that is slightly larger. I'll probably wrap some paper around the nuts and try to use the next higher metric size, and if that doesn't work I may have the shop strip them again and have them anodized instead (as they were originally). Speaking of stripping powdercoating, I forgot to have the shop mask off the mating surface of the wheel (where it mounts to the hub), so I'll be sanding that off prior to mounting the rear. Rookie move...

The rest of the parts came out very well.

gallery_10025_5394_355346.jpg

The titanium front axle spacers look fine; I originally intended to have complete spacers machined that would replace the stock ZX-10R spacers and give me the additional 12mm I needed, but after talking to the machine shop I decided to minimize how much titanium cutting I was going to ask of them to reduce cost somewhat (so these will be in addition to the stock ZX-10R spacers). I have since discovered that the spacers are a little bit too wide (about 0.1mm each), so I need to re-measure everything and get them shaved down. The ZX-10R axle is different than our VFR (and most Honda) axles; it doesn't shoulder against only one fork leg, instead it compresses both fork legs together, so my spacer/wheel hub width needs to be right on so I don't end up tweaking the fork legs and adding stiction (or blowing out my fork seals).

The rotor spacers are 5mm thick, to correctly place the Ducati 848 rotors within the 2004-2007 CBR1000RR calipers. I measured up the 848 rotors and had the spacers machined to match the contours of the rotor, so they don't stick out; since the machine shop was going to cut them on a CNC mill, I didn't feel too bad about adding a longer cutting profile. With the spacers, the rotors are no longer precisely located on the wheel hub shoulder, so I eyeballed that when torquing the rotor bolts and had the wheel balanced again after installing the rotors. No weights needed!

gallery_10025_5394_347821.jpg

gallery_10025_5394_157303.jpg

Finally, the rearset brackets. These adapt 2004-2007 CBR1000RR/2003-2006 CBR600RR Vortex rearsets to the VFR800 VTEC. The original Vortex relocating brackets are angled and space their mounting bolts too far apart for the VFR, so I redesigned them to fit correctly. I couldn't get a position that exactly replicated the stock peg location because the Vortex peg brackets are pretty long, which meant the holes to provide a stock location were way too close to the relocater bracket mounting holes. So, instead they feature a "stock" location that is the same height as the stock VFR pegs but 10mm back, with additional positions from 10mm down to 20mm up and up to 30 mm back.

In the photo below, the Vortex brackets are on the left (with the angled mounting holes) and mine are on the right.

gallery_10025_5394_427670.jpg

If anyone is interested, I can provide SolidWorks or .dxf files of the brackets. In my case, I got a good set of used rearsets (Vortex part number RS205) from eBay for $125, then paid around $140 for the machining of the brackets and $40 for the anodizing. I also bought another Vortex part, a shifter bracket, to try to get the rearset shifter system to work. I'll report on that when I declare success or... well, I won't declare failure, but will try another angle. Your costs may vary, but it is a viable alternative to the Sato Racing rearsets if you have access to a CNC mill and don't mind fiddling to make the shifter work. I also have a CBR600RR rear brake master cylinder to go on the rearsets, which would probably not be the right move if you were keeping the linked brakes on your VFR. Again, some of this may not be for the faint of heart.

So, that's where I am, still assembling and with a couple of outsourced jobs yet to complete. Once the axle spacers are shaved, I can bolt the front end together for good. I'm currently mounting the controls to my Cycle Cat clip ons, and need to drill a few holes in them. Then, it's time to strip the rest of the ABS parts off and weigh them to determine how much I have really lost; based on my (very incomplete) spreadsheet, I will be very lucky to reach 50 pounds total removed at the end of this set of modifications. That all depends on how much the remaining ABS parts weigh (both ABS control valves, the ABS computer, lines, and whatever proportioning valve is resident under the seat). Once my accounting is complete, I will share it so we can compare measured weights of the stock components and the new stuff I bolted on.

Then, it will be time to ride...

Lacy

• Member Contributer

Wow VFR800R, Duke rotors, ZXR forks, Marvic wheel, CBR calipers... you sure know how to mix it up mate.

Look forward to seeing the final job.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I finally finished putting the bike together today. The first ride test will follow shortly. Until then, here is a visual tour of the changes made to the bike. For those of you who are clean freaks, beware: it's pretty dirty.

gallery_10025_5394_715271.jpg

DSC02964.JPG

Front shot, showing off the new front end and the oil cooler mesh I added. The cooler had a bunch of mauled fins, so I cut up some window screen and zip-tied it around the cooler for future protection.

gallery_10025_5394_1877129.jpg

DSC02962.JPG

gallery_10025_5394_1166326.jpg

DSC02973.JPG

I ended up with a bunch of electrical connectors that were abandoned in place, so the old electrical tape came in handy. In this photo, there are actually four different connectors taped up and fastened to various attachment points (two ABS computer connectors, one ABS control valve connector, and the front wheel speed sensor connector).

gallery_10025_5394_1007037.jpg

DSC02954.JPG

The shifter-side Vortex rearset, bolted to my custom-machined mounting bracket. I have parts to make the peg-mounted shifter linkage operational, but I need new bearings and haven't got around to calling Vortex about it. I may even be able to change over to GP-style shifting, we'll see. I already painted the rashed peg tip once, and then promptly stepped on it and messed up the paint. I'll repaint it after the test ride...

gallery_10025_5394_175197.jpg

DSC02949.JPG

The new rear brake line runs through the swingarm, courtesy of work previously done by EmeraldVFR and Seb:

Gen. 6th Vfr: The Brake Lines are Now Runnging Through the Swingarm!

gallery_10025_5394_1821694.jpg

DSC02953.JPG

gallery_10025_5394_1166646.jpg

DSC02952.JPG

I followed Steve and Seb's directions, using Earl's coated hose and steel hose ends. Instead of running two lines, I pushed a single line through the swingarm (via a hole in the front left, near the shock) and made a small bridge line to connect the two ports in the caliper. You can just see the hose coming out of an existing hole in the bottom of the swingarm behind the bridge line in the photo.

gallery_10025_5394_1437880.jpg

DSC02982.JPG

I finally have an exhaust setup I'm happy with. Although I haven't ridden it yet, so we'll have to see if it sounds as good as the old TiForce can. The exhaust system is all Yoshimura: the link pipe is a Yosh RS-3 for the '98-'01 VFR800, and the carbon-tipped end can is an R55 originally intended for the '08-'10 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Luckily Yoshimura tends to use a standard can inlet size of 2.25", so the newer can mounted up to the older link pipe with just a little trim of the pipe. The spring hangers don't line up perfectly, but they are close enough. Amazingly, the aluminum muffler bracket I hacked out for my old TiForce setup (that also mounts the Ohlins preload adjuster) perfectly matched the Yoshimura R55 mount. Sweet!

rum/uploads/1287620871/gallery_10025_5394_1739847.jpg[/img]

DSC02947.JPG

gallery_10025_5394_1028874.jpg

DSC02983.JPG

The right side Vortex rearset mounts a CBR600RR rear brake master cylinder with a brake pressure switch plumbed into it. The adjacent exhaust heat shield mounted to the original rear set, so I set about making a bracket to connect the shield to the new rear sets. After a few hours of cutting, drilling, and sanding I happened to look in the box of Vortex goodies and realized that there were two small brackets in there intended for the CBR600RR/CBR1000RR heat shields, that just happened to work perfectly on the VFR. Oh well, they are prettier than what I was bungling up anyway.

gallery_10025_5394_2183219.jpg

DSC02972.JPG

No more evap canister!

gallery_10025_5394_1505573.jpg

DSC02970.JPG

A shot of the completed front end. '06-'07 ZX-10R (Kayaba) forks, '04-'07 CBR1000RR (Tokico) calipers with Vesrah pads, Ducati 848 (Brembo) rotors, Ducati 999 Marvic Penta II cast magnesium wheel, and custom Spiegler brake lines. The carbon front fender was donated from some random Kawasaki, and I thank it for its sacrifice...

gallery_10025_5394_707861.jpg

DSC02956.JPG

The cockpit features CBR929/954RR triple clamps, a Yoshimura top nut (notice a trend here?), Cycle Cat Ducati Monster clip ons, and a CBR1000RR front brake master cylinder set up. It is REALLY tight everywhere around the bars, and I'm still adjusting them to make everything work.

gallery_10025_5394_2430560.jpg

DSC02960.JPG

The clutch reservoir is very close to the clip on, and currently bangs against the screen mount at full right lock. Adjustments are needed...

gallery_10025_5394_2079279.jpg

DSC02961.JPG

The right side is similarly tight; the brake lines and throttle cables are rubbing at full left lock. Surprisingly, the brake reservoir clears everything.

gallery_10025_5394_1563802.jpg

DSC02993.JPG

gallery_10025_5394_2336317.jpg

DSC02981.JPG

That about covers the modifications. I finished bolting on the fairings tonight, and have just a few tweaks to make before going for a test ride tomorrow or Monday. I'll post up my weight spreadsheet shortly to show how much mass I've cut off. It just exceeds 50 pounds, according to my figures. I'll have to put the bike on some scales to see if it has dropped below 500 pounds wet; unfortunately I didn't weigh it pre-modifications, so I can't prove how much it has lost.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Once I have washed it, I'll take some "final" shots and post them up.

Lacy

Nice work. One small thread in this forum can not account for all the time and thought a person puts into a project like this. Congratulations on getting to this stage. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth, the RC51 and VFR use the same clutch slave cylinder. So you can swap out the master for a better looking (Possibly better clearance, too) match to the brake reservoir. Probably the CBR, as well.

I like your rear brake solution. :fing02:

If you want a matching set of radial pumps. Brembo RCS19 for the front brakes, and RCS16 for the clutch. This is the set-up I'm using now. :fing02: They're about $365 each.

DSCN1186.jpg

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went for a brief (less than 10 miles) test ride this afternoon just before dark. Here are a couple of photos; I apologize for the poor quality, they were taken with my iPhone. Although the graininess does hide the dirt and dust that I haven't had time to wash off yet.

gallery_10025_5394_17088.jpg

photo1.jpg

gallery_10025_5394_25148.jpg

photo2.jpg

It was a pretty ginger ride, with a lot of focus on bedding in the new pad/rotor combination up front and testing out the new forks. The steering feels MUCH lighter than before, but to be honest I really can't do a before and after comparison as the last time I rode the bike (in its original form) was December, and the last bikes I did ride were both Buells. Probably the most shocking change is the rear brake feel; with the CBR600RR master cylinder, I didn't realize how harsh the bite of the rear caliper would be. I'm accustomed to braking with the front lever and rear pedal with the CBS system, without much feel coming from the rear brake and the ability to step on it pretty hard with little effect. With the new setup, however... WOW, I locked the rear brake the first time I used it. I will have to relearn how to stop this thing.

For the most part, the whole package felt pretty good. I didn't challenge myself or the bike at all on this ride, however, so pushing harder will have to wait for later.

Prettier photos will follow after I wash the bike this weekend (hopefully).

Lacy

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth, the RC51 and VFR use the same clutch slave cylinder. So you can swap out the master for a better looking (Possibly better clearance, too) match to the brake reservoir. Probably the CBR, as well.

I like your rear brake solution. :fing02:

Great idea, I will try to score a CBR1000RR clutch master and see if it will work. I think the RC51 design was carried over to the CBR, so they should be the same (and the CBR likely cheaper).

If you want a matching set of radial pumps. Brembo RCS19 for the front brakes, and RCS16 for the clutch. This is the set-up I'm using now. :fing02: They're about $365 each.

Rusty, I love your Brembo goodness, but I'm not prepared to throw down $750 for master cylinders! Maybe for a magnesium rear wheel....

Lacy

• Member Contributer

I went for a brief (less than 10 miles) test ride this afternoon just before dark. Here are a couple of photos; I apologize for the poor quality, they were taken with my iPhone. Although the graininess does hide the dirt and dust that I haven't had time to wash off yet.

It was a pretty ginger ride, with a lot of focus on bedding in the new pad/rotor combination up front and testing out the new forks. The steering feels MUCH lighter than before, but to be honest I really can't do a before and after comparison as the last time I rode the bike (in its original form) was December, and the last bikes I did ride were both Buells. Probably the most shocking change is the rear brake feel; with the CBR600RR master cylinder, I didn't realize how harsh the bite of the rear caliper would be. I'm accustomed to braking with the front lever and rear pedal with the CBS system, without much feel coming from the rear brake and the ability to step on it pretty hard with little effect. With the new setup, however... WOW, I locked the rear brake the first time I used it. I will have to relearn how to stop this thing.

For the most part, the whole package felt pretty good. I didn't challenge myself or the bike at all on this ride, however, so pushing harder will have to wait for later.

Prettier photos will follow after I wash the bike this weekend (hopefully).

Lacy

If you were used to the linked brakes, you will need to recalibrate yourself on separate rear brake. With a separate rear, you get to decide when you want rear brakes and when you dont. I have the exact same rear caliper setup with a RC51 master. (check my gallery) I believe the CBR600RR, F4i, and RC51 are all 14mm bore M/C's. I once calculated that with a 14mm m/c it gives a set up very simular to a stock 4th gen rear brake performance. -- If you decide over time that it's still too sensitive for you, I also calculated that a 5/8" bore m/c would tone it down a bit and still be an acceptable rear brake. Unfortunately, I cant give a specific bike or part that has one.

Another tip - I believe that 2005 VTR1000 super hawk clutch master is separate resourvoiur type and may be another option for you, maybe cheaper.

BTW awesome job - good luck

I know how you feel about the before and after comparision. I did my conversion during last winter. Long time between rides. LOL

What's the bore on the 600rr rear brake master cylinder?

What I like about the Brembo radial pumps is, that I can change the feel of the clutch and brake levers, and where the brake and clutch start to bite on the lever throw.

The VFR looks good. Now go out and enjoy it. :fing02:

Edited by Baileyrock