Another Inverted Fork Conversion (6th Gen)

VFR800R

• Member Contributer

As we're getting ready to move again (this time from Groton, CT to Poulsbo, WA), I realized that I never really took "final" photos of the VFR and posted them to my build thread. So, here are a couple:

gallery_10025_5394_4864.jpg

VFR800 Front quarter 9Aug2011

gallery_10025_5394_14668.jpg

VFR800 Right Side 9Aug2011

Recently, I have only done a couple small things. I have had a carbon fiber hugger sitting around for a year, waiting on the time to build a bracket (because my eBay "steal" didn't come with one, and the British company who made it wouldn't answer any emails), so I finally hacked out an aluminum bracket and trimmed the trailing edge of the hugger with my Dremel to eliminate a crack. It turned out pretty great, with good alignment and more than enough protection for my Ohlins shock. I also added a couple of HRC/Yoshimura stickers (another eBay find from somebody in Thailand), and a Yosh timing plug for the CBR600RR (thanks Honda for all your standardization!). The plug is obviously only visible when the right fairing is off, but I like that I have at least 3 Yosh parts on the bike to tie together the HRC/Yosh theme (the upper triple clamp nut, the timing plug, and the R55 muffler).

I also finally completed the Vortex rearset conversion; I needed a few parts from Vortex (worn out shifter lever bearings, which necessitated buying a new shifter lever) and a shifter rod, but now the shifter is fully functional. I keep contemplating a reverse-pattern, but the clearances are pretty tight already and interference would be bad. Finally, I added a lithium iron battery from Shorai which knocks about 6 more pounds off the bike, which brings my rough total to about 60 pounds removed. Not bad, but it could be better...

I have more stuff in the garage waiting to go on the bike: Tokico monobloc calipers from a CBR600RR to drop another pound of front unsprung weight, a Superhawk clutch master cylinder, and more parts for the (repeatedly failed) front radiator project. They will have to wait for next winter, because I will be at sea all fall...

Next, I think I want to finally do something about the undertail space. There have been a few discussions on VFRD of late about making panels, so it may be time to bite the bullet and do it. Then, I think rideability is next on my list; with the BMC filter, no PAIR valves, and the Yoshimura exhaust, I have a lean flutter just off idle that is pretty annoying. I may buy myself a PCV with Autotune for Christmas.

Well, that's it for now. I didn't get to meet any East Coast VFRD folks while I was out here due to the bike being in pieces and my tendency to play with my daughter and hang out with my wife, but hopefully I run into some of you in the Pacific Northwest!

Lacy

• Like 1

Love the look! Nice.

Although there prolly are not many in the aftermarket yet, we may as well add these forks as possible candidates. They are pretty good stuff:

eifel3020.jpg

• Member Contributer

Love the look! Nice.

Although there prolly are not many in the aftermarket yet, we may as well add these forks as possible candidates. They are pretty good stuff:

eifel3020.jpg

Funny you should mention that Timmy as that was exactly what I was thinking when I read the post about your trip fing02.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Has BLS made an appearance in this thread yet? Maybe we should get these two together, get a little contract engineering work started. Between all the posts it looks like 50 to 60 lbs could be saved before things just get painfully expensive. Where would I say painfully expensive starts? When the cost of a new VFR has been invested in his new VFR. So, whatever could be done for 10 grand. Glad it's not my money...

And I haven't seen anything pessimistic or overly negative here yet. Actually a lot of really great suggestions have come up so far and I bet there are more to come. Here's a couple more;

If you keep the stock swingarm, Civic lugnuts work. Meaning, titanium lugnuts meant for a Civic work. You'll still be better off trying to get a different swingarm mounted if you care about weight as much as you seem to, but if you stick with stock, here you go.

The stock headlight assembly is kind of weighty, maybe look there, go to a single lamp and a dummy or something, I bet there's half a pound waiting to be freed up there if you're willing to forgo the excellent stock lighting and aesthetics.

If you can figure out a way to go to a single radiator and fan there's probably a couple pounds to be saved there, and you may get better cooling out of it as well when sitting still.

Solo seat.

How come nobody has mentioned the "Cat"? The best two things I have read up to this point was the mention of unsprung weight and the Honda Civic lug nuts, brilliant! I am keeping in mind that the project goal is a "sportier" Sport TOURING. I liked the "anorexia" line too. The Viffer has a sloppy front end for my taste. Straight line acceleration is not as important as confidence inspiring handling with a "big" bike that can be achieved with the spring kits available and the compression/dampening adjustability with the fork upgrade. I will not defend this position as it is only my humbly stated preference. I love the grunt of my 2001 VFR800. Every time I crack the throttle I fall in love over and over again.

Edited by lancando

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/25/2017 at 11:12 AM, Rojo241ktm said:

I have a 2002, and would appreciate your information re: inverted fork swap, parts needed, etc. Does an rc51 front end "bolt on"?

Did you even read the thread or search at all?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2009 at 6:13 AM, VFR800R said:

…Also, the ZX-10R uses 210mm fork spacing (the triples are 214mm) …

Sorry to dredge all this up again, but just came across this. What the hell does it mean?

I guess 214mm is the forkleg centre spacing and that matches what Honda often use on larger bikes, but what's 210mm? There simply cannot be 2 different fork spacings on the same bike.

????

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Sorry to dredge all this up again, but just came across this. What the hell does it mean?

I guess 214mm is the forkleg centre spacing and that matches what Honda often use on larger bikes, but what's 210mm? There simply cannot be 2 different fork spacings on the same bike.

????

Hey BiKenG, what I was meaning to say is that the spacing between fork centers is 214mm on the CBR954RR and RC51 triples, but the Kawasaki ZX-10R spacing was 210mm. The ZX-10R forks still easily fit into the CBR or RC triples, but if you plan to use the ZX-10R axle spacers and wheel (or any other 25mm axle-based wheel) that difference in centers will likely require custom-machines axle spacers. Hope that helps clear it up. 

To further revive the dead thread, I picked up my set of eBay 2008 ZX-10R forks from the bike shop today (needed new seals) and should confirm over the next month or so if these fit my front end. 

• Thanks 1