what would be good upgrades to do?

Guest 1337sauce

Guest 1337sauce

I have about $1300 to spend on my '06 VFR. I am trying to decide what would be a good upgrade path. I've already got a sargeant seat, sliders, a higher windscreen and weighted bar ends. I could go with some nice slip ons like the Remus or the Staintunes. That would about eat up my budget. The other option I could go with would be to get a PC V w/ autotune, a K&N filter, new brake pads and stainless braided brake cables.

My thoughts on the first option are that it would sound sweet and look cool, with a possible slight performance bump. I don't care that much about the sound though. I kind of like that the stock pipes are quiet.

My thoughts on the second option are that the PC would smooth out the power on the bike, especially the roughness on the low end that I don't like. The braking performance would be increased. The bike would be ready for putting new pipes on down the road.

What are people's opinions on this? I'm sure I haven't thought of a lot of possible things I could do.

Since you have the upgraded factory ECU, your bike should run better than the earlier bikes, specifically around the VTEC transition range.

I would find a nice slipon exhaust on EBAY, beware the Two Brothers ones that are not really dual exhaust, but have a fake LH can. (just my preference)

Lasers for $700: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-02-VFR-800-VTEC-Quad-Taper-Xtreme-exhaust-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c50f2400aQQitemZ190336614410QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also look here and on EBAY for some '98-'99 catless headers, either OEM o the NEW Delkevic stainless version.

Ooh, look, $125 BIN: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-1998-Exhaust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a54ebb82fQQitemZ250532837423QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you find the OEM mild steel ones, definetly have them sandblasted to white metal and Jet-Hot coated. Surface prep is paramount, I did my own sandblasting and they turned out perfect.

Then, get yourself a Turbo City fuel pressure regulator, which will take care of your lean running condition. $125:

http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=64&osCsid=28df716c2cebb55dfd16e63a9098a23e

That's $950 total....

• Member Contributer

Depends on what you want out of the bike, no? If you tour, get things to lead you that way. If you like the twisties, move that direction. Exhaust is really about looks, sound and weight. PC should be a fun toy (I'm going to do that this winter). Personally I wouldn't do brake lines until they need replacing anyway. Pads maybe.

Guest Pete McCrary

Suspension.

Absopositively.

Penske sport shock, Sonic Springs, Racetech compression and rebound valves. You should be able to do all of that within your budget.

Guest 1337sauce

OK so lots of votes for suspension. I bought the VFR ABS, so I have the preload adjustable rear shock on the bike already. Is this acceptable, or would you guys replace it? For the front just replace the springs, valves and rebounders?

If you're the same weight as the bike was designed for (what is that - 70kg?), then springs will be fine. Otherwise, the front springs will be too soft: 0.74kg/mm, whereas they need to be at least 0.80, or more if you weigh more than 80kg/170 poonz. They are also progressively-wound springs, which is not the best for setting up suspension.

The other issue with the OEM Showa suspension is the damper valving in the front doesn't flow oil very well, so the suspension doesn't cope well with sharp bumps, making the action harsher than it should be.

The rear suspension doesn't offer much adjustment, which is fine if it's well matched to you and your riding.

You could manage OK with the stock suspension if you're not a porker, and ride only on smooth roads or round town. However, it's one of the best "bang for your buck" mods you can do. There's little you can do to improve power, unless you spend $5k on a Torocharger, and most other things are just cosmetic or for bragging rights. Braided lines, for example: they won't improve your brakes, just change the way they feel (although they can arguably make them feel 'wooden' and therefore worse).

Another mod that's got good "bang/$$" value is a Factory Pro Evo Star shifter kit, especially if you install it before your transmission has any significant wear.

Edited by enzed_viffer

Guest 1337sauce

I weigh about 155 lbs.

Looking at the Racetech site, do I just get the Golk Valve Kit and the springs? Those 2 things are in the $300 range. I see a Gold fork rebound kit for $169. How necessary are the rebounders?

• Member Contributer

I weigh about 155 lbs.

Looking at the Racetech site, do I just get the Gold Valve Kit and the springs? Those 2 things are in the $300 range. I see a Gold fork rebound kit for $169. How necessary are the rebounders?

Seems to me you are in the ballpark as to what the OEM springs can handle. How many miles on your bike?

I just did both gold valves on the front but changed springs too as I am heavier rider. That I did the rear too as the bike would be out of balance.

2421887610099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have about $1300 to spend on my '06 VFR. I am trying to decide what would be a good upgrade path. I've already got a sargeant seat, sliders, a higher windscreen and weighted bar ends. I could go with some nice slip ons like the Remus or the Staintunes. That would about eat up my budget. The other option I could go with would be to get a PC V w/ autotune, a K&N filter, new brake pads and stainless braided brake cables.

My thoughts on the first option are that it would sound sweet and look cool, with a possible slight performance bump. I don't care that much about the sound though. I kind of like that the stock pipes are quiet.

My thoughts on the second option are that the PC would smooth out the power on the bike, especially the roughness on the low end that I don't like. The braking performance would be increased. The bike would be ready for putting new pipes on down the road.

What are people's opinions on this? I'm sure I haven't thought of a lot of possible things I could do.

I applaud you for doing your research, but I must say go with what makes you happy! Everyone is saying suspension, and I can't argue, but how about some more comfort mods? Raised bars, a good throttle lock/cruise control, heated grips, luggage, etc can all be vary rewarding as well. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. What is it that you want out of your bike? This is the important question.

If you want acceleration, add some pipes, change the gearing, maybe even catless headers.

Performance in the twisties then suspension is for you.

Long distance riding and comfort mods will go a long way.

I certainly can't argue with the PCIII/PCV logic, they are great additions to a VTEC, but a K & N probably won't gain you any power, but will save money in the long run if you plan on riding your bike for many miles.

And I know people swear by Staintunes, but $1200 for a pipe and two mufflers seems absolutely ridiculous to me!

• Member Contributer

I have the 06 also, and if it where me I would get the auto tune. I put a pc3 on my bike before I installed exhaust and it help alot. Flat spot at 4k range is gone and it helped with on/off throttle response. And ive read that the autotune is even better? I would also get a good throttle lock.

• Member Contributer

i am a lightweight too... around 145lbs and am quite happy with the stock suspenders. although the gold valves are always on my mind.

if your into touring/longer rides, like already mentioned, i would go for improved tourability. radar with a nice mount? heated grips(mandatory imho, and quite cheap if you get the insert type)? luggage solutions? just put on a 46l givi topbox, and i honestly don't know how i did it before!

exhaust will make your bike sound sweet. staintunes apparently aren't that loud, and have the option of installing a sound 'spud'. personally, i would not de-cat. i feel the performance gain vs environmental impact isn't worth it. hey, i ain't no treehugger, but i do what i can:)

pc? your results will vary. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. a k&n will make some sexy sounds and improve throttle response. and will nicely compliment an exhaust.

i am currently running w/o my pc, with exhaust and k&n, and it seems to ride just fine. although i am in winter riding mode, and things may change come summer when she gets ridden a little more aggressively. in the past i have had fueling probs, so go figure.

not sure how long you have been riding, but riding GEAR is always a very, very good investment.

p.s. just picked up a jr endurance honda riding jacket at neweunough... under 100bucks shipped. only sm and med, though!

I remember reading a forum that most said a sprocket change was the best bang for the buck. I'm thinking about doing a -1, +2 change this winter, I heard you can keep the stock chain with that, and costs about $100

I'm also sending my rims out for chroming (don't blast me, it's my shiny red bike, lol), and I think I'm going to send my gauge cluster to bluegauges.com, for $60 they change the back lighting to just about any color you want.

I'm in the 170-200lb category, yea I go up and down 30lbs every year, so suspension upgrade also interests me, but also confuses and scares the crap out of me, I changed the fork oil on a V-Star650 once and what a PITA.

HyperPro fork springs and a Penske shock will run you about $1100. This will transform your bike to a very good handling machine.

• 3 years later...
Guest hollenbeck

Go to Jamie @ daughertymotorsports, just google it, but he does complete custom shock's and fork upgrades and it is worth every penny and you'll save a lot compared too hyperpro springs and a Penske shock, when that's gonna cost $1,100 this will cost $700, dmr shocks: he takes a cbr600f4 and redoes the springs on the shock,does a revalve on the shock and put's a modified upper mount to fit just like the vfr oem. forks: he does a comlete re-valve on your forks plus springs preloaded and done to match your weight height and riding style, I have both fork and shock upgrades from him and it is a night and day difference,my buddy has the same yr and model as my vfr, but he has a Penske shock and I think hyperpro spring(don't quote but has aftermarket springs) and I have Jamie Daugherty's setup and we both had are sag set by the same mechanic just to rule out any false aqusitions lol,any way's we went out to the mountains to see who's was better, we wrode about 10-15 mi on road as aggressive as possible and of course I killed him(thanks Jamie), so we switched bikes and went again and I got murdered, the only prob was he didn't wanna give me back my bike lol,but needless to say after that he sold his setup took his lose and called Jamie lmao, anyways here's his website he's a great guy and does the best suspension work I've ever seen http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

best of luck