Found the best "nut cracker" ever!! FREEZE-OFF!!

Beck

After weeks of struggling with my winter classic bicycle restoration project, with stem, bottom bracket and steering head races all siezed with corrosion that usually occur between the dissimilar metals involved, Soaking in Liquid Wrench. PB Blaster and pounding continuously with a deadlow hammer, nothing was budging. in desperation I started looking for ammonia which was recommended by the big bicycle forum I am a member off, as a last resort solution to dissolve the siezing aluminum oxide and hopefully release the parts. Couldn't find the recommended strong solution of ammonia when I bumped into the CRC made product in the auto parts store (Kragen) called "Freeze-Off" I was so frustrated that I bought it on impulse and did not really have to much high hopes for the product working to release my parts of my bicycle frame.

Boy, was I wrong, In literally 5 minutes, I was able to remove the very tightly stuck stem from my fork as seen here in these pics. It came off so easily with a few hits with the dead-blow hammer that it felt like it literally fell off the bicycle fork steerer tube.

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

I was pounding and soaking these parts for over two weeks without any success! I was so elated and surprised how well the Freeze-Off worked. Have since removed the also seized bottom bracket and head races from the frame and fork. Even experimented to see if the other supposedly super penetrant products I used didn't work for sure by trying them first. Again no success, but after using the Freeze-Off on these other parts, they came off easily in a couple of minutes at most with minimum persuasion from my tools!

Trick is to use it liberally and analyze where you should blast the part or fastener with the Freeze-Off to properly shrink it away with the freezing effect and "crack" the Ferrous and aluminum oxide material to let the penetrant oils in the spray dissolve the corrosion, thus releasing the part. Make sure you use it liberally, because you really have to frezze the part for it to work. Hope others here can take advantage of this product as I did when working on seized parts and fasteners from your motorcycles or anything else around your house. I better buy a case of this stuff lest the Feds find something in it to ban it one day!!

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

• Member Contributer

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

I'd like to see the Vitus when you are done too. My first decent road bike was a used Vitus 979. It was white and damn clean. It little whippy but a nice ride and a light bike. I still have a 25.0 Campy post laying around for it that replaced it was dug into but that kooky Vitus seatpost binder. I've had a lot of nice bikes since then, a couple of Serottas a couple of Fausto Coppis and now a Klein and a Merlin. I wish that I still had all of them... Including the Vitus.

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

I'd like to see the Vitus when you are done too. My first decent road bike was a used Vitus 979. It was white and damn clean. It little whippy but a nice ride and a light bike. I still have a 25.0 Campy post laying around for it that replaced it was dug into but that kooky Vitus seatpost binder. I've had a lot of nice bikes since then, a couple of Serottas a couple of Fausto Coppis and now a Klein and a Merlin. I wish that I still had all of them... Including the Vitus.

It's a 1985 Vitus Carbone Plus 7 I just got off an auction a couple of months ago. It's an interesting frame with carbon fibre wrapped saluminum frame tubes. I'm kind of a Francophile when it comes to bikes, since my college "serious" bicycle riding days, in the era of Hinault, Sean Kelly, Fignon and LeMond, when IMO, bikes were most beautiful.

I'm currently cleaning/polishing up the aluminum head, bottom bracket and seat cluster "lugs" on the bike and working to put together Frech period components to replace the original Shimano dura Ace BL7400 series gruppo. This resto will be a full French one, because IMO, a classic French bike whoudl have French components.

Goodies that I have put together for the transplant, so far:

Picture336.jpg

Ingeredients for a two wheeled French Souffle??

It's gonna be a long winter project, but I'll make sure to post up the final results, by spring, most likely.

Beck

95 VFR

• 1 year later...

I don't have the original original info on this but posted on a Jeep forum I am on. Several guys have stated that the home brew mix works very well!!

For all of you that are mechanically inclined.....

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break

out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective

test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque

required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 103 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic

transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this

one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now

use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as

good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Zach571