Staintune not all that?

VFRBenny

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Great first post/ancient thread revival, dude!

Ciao,

• 1 month later...

All I can say;  If you've spent considerable money on it,  you probably are inclined to convince yourself to like it.

a lot of people swear by the staintune sound,  but honestly,  I'm happier having Phony mufflers that I've drilled the rivets out of,  pulled every piece of packing out,  then riveted back together for a true straight pipe out the back of my VFR.  Because the Less exhaust you put behind the V4,  the deeper and more foreboding the idle tone will be,  the more shrill and maniacal the topend rush of the Vtec pull will be.  I have absolutely zero reasons to give a single damn about my "mufflers" as a result.  Let these soccer moms complain.  at least they'll hear me over the goddamn pokemon game they're playing.  :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Voided76 said:

All I can say;  If you've spent considerable money on it,  you probably are inclined to convince yourself to like it.

a lot of people swear by the staintune sound,  but honestly,  I'm happier having Phony mufflers that I've drilled the rivets out of,  pulled every piece of packing out,  then riveted back together for a true straight pipe out the back of my VFR.  Because the Less exhaust you put behind the V4,  the deeper and more foreboding the idle tone will be,  the more shrill and maniacal the topend rush of the Vtec pull will be.  I have absolutely zero reasons to give a single damn about my "mufflers" as a result.  Let these soccer moms complain.  at least they'll hear me over the goddamn pokemon game they're playing.  :biggrin:

And,like the loud pipes save lives Harley riders,  unless you have mounted the exhaust so that it faces forward no one will hear you until you are past them and then, in their mind, you are just another idiot biker who is either crazy (if you drive faster than them) or stupid (if you drive slower than they).

Straight pipes seem like a good idea but I would wager an adult beverage that the dyno proves they make less power and you just annoy your neighbors and others subjected to their wail and shriek.

• Member Contributer

One of the best t-shirts I saw was for a riding school, that read "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride could do". Although I have an aftermarket exhaust, I am a bigger fan of the latter statement!

I thought about that,  because the black header painted mufflers now get super hot to the touch,  now that the insulation isn't shooing the hot gasses out.

I might experiment a bit in the future at possibly opening them back up to see if I can shore up that particular problem,  but I'm in no rush.  lol

The only consideration I gave Staintune was because they had the only high mount for the 8th gen. I've heard enough different systems on different bikes to know that nobody makes a magical music box that nobody else can achieve. Choose what fits the volume, sound, and aesthetic characteristics you like. For a street-only bike, no slip-on is ever going to be worth $800 to me.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

And,like the loud pipes save lives Harley riders,  unless you have mounted the exhaust so that it faces forward no one will hear you until you are past them...

Only if you're going faster than 761.2 mph (at sea level)!

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea to run "loud pipes", it is fairly easy to prove that you can hear bikes coming towards you--go stand on any street corner.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

Only if you're going faster than 761.2 mph (at sea level)!

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea to run "loud pipes", it is fairly easy to prove that you can hear bikes coming towards you--go stand on any street corner.

Ciao,

True, an oversimplication on my part. Do a sound test at 1 meter in front of a straight pipe bike and 1 meter behind and you know what I meant to communicate. 

• Member Contributer

Straight pipes on a VFR will, as most people think and do dyno testing, lower your torque and power at low RPM...you may get some benefit from flow at the higher end, but you will lose low and mid-range most likely--but who knows you might make some up a litle back with an aftermarket EFI...but doubtful...to really take advantage you need something like Yamaha's flapper in the exaust for low RPM...

The need for back pressure is an age old myth that started when someone fitted too large of diameter piping/primaries for a given engine or when someone ran open header, lost power and then blamed it on the loss of back-pressure. Back pressure is not a good thing and is not needed. An ideal exhaust gas velocity and in turn momentum of the exhaust gas, to create a scavenging effect in between pulses, is what is needed, to create an efficient exhaust system. When you run open header or way to large piping diameter, you are losing power, not due to the loss of back pressure, but due to the loss of enough exhaust gas moment to pull (or scavenge) the next wave of exhaust out of the combustion chamber and in turn pull more fresh air/fuel mixture in.

There really is not a whole lot of back pressure in the factory sixth gen slip on. The factory sixth gen header, on the other hand, with it's tiny primaries, poor merge angles and catalytic converter, is very restrictive, but believe me, even with a full race exhaust (relatively zero restriction) the fueling changes needed to correct the AFR is minimal.

On modern EFI bikes, the flapper is there to control noise, not lowend torque. With a modern EFI bike such as a cbr1000rr or the VFR1200, you have a very high flowing exhaust system, that is capable of supporting big power at high revs with the flap open, while also maintaining acceptable noise levels at low rpm where a high flowing exhaust is not needed.

TL;DR 

Back pressure does not add torque, velocity does. No one is losing lowend torque on VFR's with slip ons and regular cat delete headers. In fact, with proper tuning, people are getting much better lowend. It is only when you increase the size of the header primaries dramatically or do something dumb, like run open header, that you lose lowend torque.

• Member Contributer

You are more correct...I used the amateur vernacular.  scavenging increases the exhaust velocity at low revs and the timing between pulses of exhaust are important--but the harmonics do depend on resonance in the chamber--resonance can be somewhat equated to "back pressure"...but in a much more controlled way...open pipes move this resonance Q beyond the frequency of the exhaust pulses...smaller diameter pipes or creating a chamber with the correct "bounce back" of the pressure wave from the can back into the exhaust header...which then bounces back out--pulling creating low pressure for the next exhaust pulse to hitch a ride on instead of meeting the bounced back pressure wave or static pressure...

Matt Roth

Thread resurrection for sure! Very timely though, because yesterday a brand spankers Staintune high mount pipe arrived for my '94. I just had to fit it and ride to work today!

In my opinion Staintune IS all that. Totally understand the difference of opinion/perception based on exchange rates and shipping outside Australia.

Before this high mount pipe, I had the low mount model. Sounded great. Now comparing the two, the high mount is deeper and throatier. The low mount had a little more "tang" to it. I can't say raspy or tinny, because both terms do that pipe a disservice. Interestingly the high mount is about 10cm shorter than the low mount. The low mount didn't need any tuning changes, I don't expect the high mount to need them either.

VFR_High_1.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, WestOfBen said:

Thread resurrection for sure! Very timely though, because yesterday a brand spankers Staintune high mount pipe arrived for my '94. I just had to fit it and ride to work today!

In my opinion Staintune IS all that. Totally understand the difference of opinion/perception based on exchange rates and shipping outside Australia.

Before this high mount pipe, I had the low mount model. Sounded great. Now comparing the two, the high mount is deeper and throatier. The low mount had a little more "tang" to it. I can't say raspy or tinny, because both terms do that pipe a disservice. Interestingly the high mount is about 10cm shorter than the low mount. The low mount didn't need any tuning changes, I don't expect the high mount to need them either.

VFR_High_1.JPG

Looks the business and sounds all that as well.

• Member Contributer

I've had a Staintune on my 90 since back in the days of the VFR list got Staintune to make them ( I think it was around 95 or 96).  Love the pipe and the sound.  Had to get a set for the 07 RWB.  I wouldn't have any other pipe on a VFR.

90vfr_zpsa405f425.jpg

07VFR_zps518d17df.jpg

• Member Contributer

Interesting old thread, its funny how these get brought back to life!

Speaking from experience,  my '07 RWB fitted with Leos and my Gen 5.5 hybrid fitted with undertail Gen 6 Staintunes, and finding both used at a fair price, I would honestly say that there is no comparison. The Staintunes on the 5.5 sound far throatier and really highlight the V4.  The Leos are nice dont get me wrong, but dollar for dollar the Staintunes sound better IMHO.

A bit off topic, but my RC51 came with Staintunes fitted.  Sounds groovy but they are kinda big.  My point was, I have never seen or heard of another RC51 with Staintunes.  Its strange.

1009368_10201353100009213_456800966_o.jp

Archived