Staintune not all that?

VFRBenny

Ok, as some of you may know I recently bought and installed a Delkevic muffler. I'm really happy with this muffler but I still had something bugging me about not getting a Staintune! I really want to get the VFR all it needs to keep it in top shape.

This morning I went to a local shop to order some new tires, while there I noticed a 98vfr with Staintune exhaust. I said to the guy, I'd sure like to get one of those, he replied, why? there way over priced! I said but I've read on the forums that there well designed with a FlowMaster like baffled sound reduction. He say's No way, there just a pretty looking glass pack with SS packing and a SS cover. I was shocked! When he showed me the can and it was just a straight thru pipe with packing much like a glass pack, I said it looks just like my Delkevic. He said, ya, it is just like your Delkevic, but your Delkevic can be opened and repacked with different material as to get a different sound.

Now that I've seen a Staintune up close, I can honestly say it's not worth three times the cost of a Delkevic.(IMO)!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've never heard the Staintune exhaust on a 5th Gen but I've heard several on the 6th Gen and can honestly say they sound better than most others.

Regards,

Rollin

I've never heard the Staintune exhaust on a 5th Gen but I've heard several on the 6th Gen and can honestly say they sound better than most others.

Regards,

Rollin

Leo Vince............. :biggrin:

The clown in the shop doesn't know what he's talking about - there is no glasspack in a Staintune. It's all stainless steel, and they just sound better and better over time.

Pricewise, I know they are expensive in the US, which is a shame as they are the cheapest option here in Oz! But, exchange rates (not good for Oz->US now, great the other way), duty, transport costs etc. all add up.

But they look and sound like no other pipe.

Phantom is, of course, correct. There is no fibreglass packing in a Staintune. The baffle is a "bung" that fits into the end of the pipe and is secured by one screw. I prefer to leave my baffle in as it makes the note more "mellow".

Living, as I do, about 40kms from the factory that makes them, I am also helping to support the local industry... :blink:

Regards,

Rollin

Good point! The shape of the 6th gen is more complex, as the 5th gen can just be a strait round muffler.

And for the others, I never said it was glass filled, only that it shares the oldest design in mufflers and is nothing special. And I never said it was a poor design, only feel it's a lot of money for nothing special.

I would also rather have a Staintune than a Delkevic(if they were the same price). For the money, the Delkevic cant be beat. And the type of muffler system is the same with both. Biggest difference is the Delkevic can be opened and packed with anything you like(including coarse SS).

• Member Contributer

You touch on an important point. It doesnt matter what it says on the outside. If the Delkavichi does it for you then it's money well spent. I bought a used Staintune and have hairline cracks starting on the bottom of the canister. But if I wanted an indestructable there is no better made than the stock over engineered boat anchor weight it came with. There are a lot of good aftermarket products out there. Let us know how the Delki holds up sound wise over the miles. My Jardine got louder after about a year and a half. My used Staintune sounds awesome and comes with an extra spud ( baffle) if I want to tone it down. I'm happy with mine and can't fault the canister cracks on staintune as I allowed an exhaust leak to cause a major back fire contition which is probable the reason for the damage.

• Member Contributer

As mentioned before, the Staintunes are made from 304 grade stainless steel. Because of this they will never loose their lustre and will always have a mirror like finish with minimal care. The entire can, including baffle material is made from the same product and will never need repacking. Mine have almost 30,000 miles and look and sound as they did when new. The quality of the welds is excellent as well. You can buy less expensive exhausts, but when others need repacking or even replacing, the Staintunes will still look and sound like new.

The price used to be more competetive but the exchange rate increase has driven the price up quite a bit in the US. I paid about $700 bucks for mine, but you have to remember that included two cans since mine is a 6th generation VFR.

They are expensive, but I have not yet seen a better made motorcycle exhaust on a VFR. They are all that if you don't mind parting with the cash.

I have seen them sell used on Ebay for more money than many brand new exhausts.

:blink: +1.gif i have had staintune on all three vfr that ive owned over the years and wouldnt fit anything else lucky the last bike came with staintune already fitted.

• Member Contributer

In terms of stainless steel build quality only OEM can compare to staintune. I, however, don't prefer their sound any longer as the cans are pretty small in diameter, which helps with weight and looks, but gives them a tinny sound without as much bass as others I've had.

My 2cents

• Forum CEO
Part of the pleasure of owning a premium exhaust system is low maintenance. STAINTUNE exhaust systems are packed with a spun stainless steel wool which never disintegrates or blows out, and require no internal maintenance. This means you can spend more time riding.

I have had mine for 3 years now and its the best exaust period, with the spud its as quiet as stock but with less wieght, nice finish great looks it is a great product! Not many aftermarket exaust are made so well or so durable!

http://www.staintune.com.au/faq17.htm

I had staintunes on my 02 vtec and I have leo vinces on my current one.

IMO the leo vinces sound much better than the staintunes did, a much more bassey sound.

Another point, the staintunes cost $1300 here in Oz where they are made, and the leos are made in italy, bought in the US and still only cost $800 delivered to my door. How can that be?

The staintunes are WAY overpriced IMO.

• Member Contributer

IMO the leo vinces sound much better than the staintunes did, a much more bassey sound.

Another point, the staintunes cost $1300 here in Oz where they are made, and the leos are made in italy, bought in the US and still only cost $800 delivered to my door. How can that be?

Wow! If that is equivalent to 1300 U.S. dollars, then they have become too expensive. I paid a little over half of that price for mine.

• Member Contributer

If cost wasn't an object, and assuming I could find a way to get them here, I'd like a set of Devil Magnum Titanum's hanging off my 6th gen. From the very few recordings I've found, these things are extremely bassy and just sound the business. However, they're something like $1200 in Europe after exchange to USD. Then there's shipping from Europe if I can't find a vendor here... So I guess sometime when I have two grand burning a VFR shaped hole in my pocket, those + the PowerCommander w/ AutoTune and some other things to make the most of the change, maybe then. Pigs will probably be flying then as well so look out.

Short of the Devil's, Leo Vince Alum. cans look pretty nice. I don't like "chrome" so the Staintunes don't interest me at all. Honestly I think a polished can on a VFR seems kind of silly but that's me and for those that like them, more power to you.

Staintunes's are about the nicest pipes I have seen. The only problem I have withthem is the sound. Even with the spud out it isnt much louder or deeper than stock, on a 6th gen.

Lovely build quality but I couldnt see spending that much money on them.

• Member Contributer

As long as my exhaust doesn't sound like a Harley, I'm content. I'm not particularly into what my exhaust sounds like. The quieter the better, especially at highway speeds. So the OEM is just fine with me.

With that in mind, if I ever do have to change it out, I'd take a hard look at the Delkevic. Most others are way too much money, money I can put to better use elsewhere. But that's just me. Others feel differently and have legitimate reasons for buying the high-priced spread (weight, sound, performance, status, recognition, or whatever).

Maybe I'll feel differently at some point in time. It's still a free country (for a little while longer anyway, and until motorcycles are banned completely), so to each his/her own! That's one of the things that (used to) make this country so great! Freedom of choice!

That was my point, I never said they are not nice, just way over priced.

I've got 'tunes on my 2002. Take then off once a year, clean the goop off with some bug and tar remover, take a buffer with a tube of Simichrome, and they look chrome plated when you finish.

Guess it just depends on whether you are amused by bright and shiny things. I know most of we hillbillies is.

In terms of stainless steel build quality only OEM can compare to staintune. I, however, don't prefer their sound any longer as the cans are pretty small in diameter, which helps with weight and looks, but gives them a tinny sound without as much bass as others I've had.

My 2cents

I agree.

The Satantune looks very nice, but to be honest, it doesn't sound as good as most of the aftermarket zorsts becase, as you say, the muffler volume is smaller. I have a friend with a 5th Gen with an Arrow exhaust and it sounds much nicer. I had another friend who had an Anniversary Edition 5th Gen with a Remus and that sounded really good too. I'm not about to swap the Satantune for another muffler, but IMHO, it's not the best sounding.

I found that a few months ago the sound changed quite a bit - must be the s/steel packing settling in (or blowing out) - the tone got a bit lower, and the volume increased. AFAIK, the muffler was fitted just before I bought the bike, so that's about four-and-a-half years in that it's taken to do that.

Satantune??? Is that supposed to be funny? Anyway, I have a 1997 VFR which came with both the original exhaust and a Staintune system. I wanted to put some bags on my bike for travel, well at least a back bag, so I switched back to the original exhaust because everyone including Givi said it was not possible with the high rise exhaust system.

The Staintune, with the spud out, sounds like a small block V8 and the original exhaust, well I actually don't remember because took it off after about 10 minutes of riding. For me the original was too tame, a nice way of saying too lame.

I did however figure out how to mount a GIVI V46 bag with the top bag GIVI bracket with only a slight modification to the bracket. It fit nicely and looks great with the highrise Staintune exhaust.

If anyone is intersted I have pictures of the modification.

Although sound is completely individual and preferential I do love the sound of the Staintune on my generation of VFR and the Dyno test that accompanied the bike showed increased performance over stock system as well.

• Member Contributer

i have microns on my 02 and absolutely love the way they sound! compared them to the tunes and two bros and stuck with the microns 25,000 miles and they still shine like new ! just my 2 cents

Archived