Delkevic Muffler installed!

VFRBenny

Ok folks, I took a chance and bought one of these mufflers. Ebay for $152. delivered. I'll be real honest with you all, and say this, I did not expect this can to sound so good, so right, so perfect! But it does all that and looks good as well. I've removed the plug and it's by no means loud, It's really just right! Today I had two folks make positive comments on the sound. I also notice a motorcycle cop hiding out in the brush, when I looked at him, he gave me a big smile and wave! The Alameda cops will give a ticket to someone that just looks guilty!, At that point, I knew the new pipe was good.

The install was all of 10 minutes and the muffler arrived with the connection pipe, two clamps and a strap. Really nice kit for the money! For what you get, this kit should be closer to $300.

4076433443_acb9f4cb6b_o.jpg

4076368710_df5b0df317_o.jpg

Ben.

• Member Contributer

I've wondered about those for a while now, and figured that at that price, it must be very cheaply manufactured. Maybe the other manufacturers are just way overcharging for their exhausts? :wheel:

Do they make a high mount?

• Member Contributer

Hi Benny, pipe and bike look great! Okay, I'm a little partial because I have the same awesome color VFR. What's the weight difference between the new pipe and stock? Is it significant? Also, is that the stock length one or the stubby one Ebay advertises? Thanks for taking a chance...I think it paid off!

Yellowfuzz

Hi Benny, pipe and bike look great! Okay, I'm a little partial because I have the same awesome color VFR. What's the weight difference between the new pipe and stock? Is it significant? Also, is that the stock length one or the stubby one Ebay advertises? Thanks for taking a chance...I think it paid off!

Yellowfuzz

It's the 450mm model. Now folks! Dont get me wrong, this is not a Staintune, but its not a cheap muffler either! Its simply a very good value. I could imagine if Delkevic got any sort of market share the price will slowly creep up to about $300. and it would still be a good product at $300. At $150., it's stupid cheap!

I really am shocked at how well it sounds! I thought I'd get a loud cheaply made pipe! What I got was a fantastic value with a very nice tone(not loud but just right).

I think the pipe is about 1/2~1/3 of stock weight.

This is the one

I've had a set of these on my BB for over a year now and can attest to them holding up over that time. Apparently they were very popular with the Euro Birds back in the day, and most Euro riders for that matter, recently being introduced to the states. I initially tried their 350mm "shorty" versions and felt they were a tad loud, but the company graciously swapped them out for a set of 450mm ones and those provided a more acceptable sound, for my tastes.

The only shortcoming I experienced were some fitment issues between the mid pipes and the center stand stop (a common problem with the Bird) subsequently I got a more robust center stand stop from the BB forum and all is well. Mid pipes appear to be not rigidly mounted, like I'd prefer, but that hasn't been an issue in the year I've owned them.

I had a few teething issues with the 'Tunes on my 6th gen too, I'd guess it just happens when you alter stock components... but at the Delk price, and their service with me, I'm pleased thus far!

• Member Contributer

I've wondered about those for a while now, and figured that at that price, it must be very cheaply manufactured. Maybe the other manufacturers are just way overcharging for their exhausts? :goofy:

Do they make a high mount?

Do they make a high mount version?

It doesn't look like it, at least from their website:

http://www.delkevic.co.uk

For some reason, you have to choose a '98 or '99 model to see all they offer for the 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

If they made a high mount, I'd order it TODAY! I don't use saddlebags or carry a passenger. In addition to losing weight and improving the sound, I want to see more of my rear wheel....

If they made a high mount, I'd order it TODAY! I don't use saddlebags or carry a passenger. In addition to losing weight and improving the sound, I want to see more of my rear wheel....

If you can find the connect tube/pipe, You could buy the Delkevic muffler only, for $100. + shipping.

I was foolin around with a 4th gen yesterday. I thought the pipe was stock, but it was a Delkovic. It sounded great and looked great. I was impressed.

Just a tad quieter than a 2bros with a very deep tone. Looked the business. The pipe I saw looked exactly like the one pictured above.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got the green light from the Minister for Everything (my beautiful wife) to buy a pipe - finally!!! biggrin.gif With the standard pipe my riding mates have dubbed my viffer "the pedestrian assassin" for the longest time (since 2001 !!!) - can't wait to turn up for our next fang with the bike sounding (and looking) like it should!

I'd already done some considerable reading on this issue and have settled for a 450mm Delkevic for my 5th Gen - seems to be a good compromise btwx cost ($338 Aust), looks, sound etc. Would rather a high-set but you can't win 'em all.

I had staintunes on my previous bike (Ducati Monster) and really dug 'em but I'm not ready to splash-out on the $700 Aust needed for my FiW.

Soooo, I've just ordered my Delk pipe and I'll post a picture or two when the upgrade is complete! beer.gif

Cheers!

Archived