Frame Sliders For A 2008 Vfr

Guest Nomadbeach

Guest Nomadbeach

I have a 2008 VFR and I been trying to find frame sliders for it. Does anyone know of any that I don’t have to cut the body or modify it at all? If you know of any at all please let me know.

I can't recall the brands, but there are a couple no-cut options available. Do a search here on VFRD and a couple threads ought to pop up for you.

Having said that, however...

I have the R&G set on my '04. I did have to drill holes thru my fairings, and while it's a PITA once it's done you'll never have to worry about it again. And it's not like it trashes the looks of the bike IMO, so I'll take the better protection of these vs. no-cut sliders that might do more harm than good if hit hard.

• Member Contributer

Try this link:

Frame Sliders Search Results

If that doesn't work, hit search at the top of the forum and search for "Frame Sliders." The topic has been done to death, usually about once a week since the forum started.

If you want effective frame sliders, you have to drill your fairings.

I did a simular search when I came on board a few years ago. The best "no drill" sliders that might have the best results (no guarantee's) are around $400-$500us. The best that I came up with were in AU money somewhere (can't recall)

RG Sliders or Radar sliders are the best! IMHO

• Member Contributer

I think the reason why the frame slidders that you have to drill to install are so effective, is because they are centrally located and ballanced to keep your bike from touching the ground. All of the non drilling slidders that I have seen will cause either the front or rear of your bike to contact the ground. Good luck. Post up what you decide to go with. I would like to see how they would look on an 08. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
I think the reason why the frame slidders that you have to drill to install are so effective, is because they are centrally located and ballanced to keep your bike from touching the ground. All of the non drilling slidders that I have seen will cause either the front or rear of your bike to contact the ground. Good luck. Post up what you decide to go with. I would like to see how they would look on an 08. :rolleyes:

DSCN0833.jpg

Edited by Popsrcr

I picked up a set for my 02 vfr. They bolt on in 5 min. I got them from Parts Canada (Part #410191) They are made by Lightning Performance Products. Check out partscanada.ca and enter the parts # I think they come in red and black......... Good luck, I hope it helped :blink:

Frame sliders protect the frame. It's a common misconception that they protect the fairings or other parts. They are meant to keep from totaling the bike from frame damage.

Wheres the dead horse smilie?

• Member Contributer
There are no cut sliders but they suck.

Frame sliders protect the frame. It's a common misconception that they protect the fairings or other parts. They are meant to keep from totaling the bike from frame damage.

Right next to the "Bashing NON drilling sliders based on you don't cut the fairing is getting old" smilie.

Although rather new to street riding, I have yet to see any type of fast crash or accident IRL or on Youtube where just because you drilled your fairing and mounted a "R E A L" slider, you just saved your bike.

Give me a break.

Most of us get the NON drill types for tip overs. I bought Oggy Knobs. Don't have them installed yet and were kind of pricey but they will do what I want them to do. I have no doubt about it.

There is an even BIGGER misconception that they only protect the frame. I guess my bike tipping over or someone doing stunts at 5 MPH and their bike tips over is going to total their bike? They are meant to do a number of things... not just protect the frame. You don't have to be a 40 year vet of street riding or a 5 year vet of these forums to know that.

/rant off Now back to your topic.

What do you want them to do? Tip over protection like I wanted them for? There is a few out there that have a bracket mounted behind the fairing and then the slider mounts to that. I bought Oggy Knobs and will install them when I get home. Don't have all the info as I am still at work and they are a tad pricey but I got them on a deal. Search has a couple great threads on them. If I remember when I get home from work, I think I have them in my favorites.

• Member Contributer
That looks pretty damn good. What brand are those Popsrcr?

R&G. I didn't do a spectacular job with the cutting, but you can't tell unless you're right up on it.

• Forum CEO

From what I have read and experienced our very own member Radar makes the best sliders on the market. They do require drilling of the plastics but they are postioned in the absolute best place a slider should be placed. He also gives you drilling guides and there are how to's here that make it rather simple and muss free with a long drill bit, long rode and hole saw that makes the drilling accurate and simple. Read KanadianKens how to on radar sliders. The delrin sliders are large and no hole in the middle they can take alot of force and really do work well!

Right next to the "Bashing NON drilling sliders based on you don't cut the fairing is getting old" smilie.

Although rather new to street riding, I have yet to see any type of fast crash or accident IRL or on Youtube where just because you drilled your fairing and mounted a "R E A L" slider, you just saved your bike.

Give me a break.

Most of us get the NON drill types for tip overs. I bought Oggy Knobs. Don't have them installed yet and were kind of pricey but they will do what I want them to do. I have no doubt about it.

There is an even BIGGER misconception that they only protect the frame. I guess my bike tipping over or someone doing stunts at 5 MPH and their bike tips over is going to total their bike? They are meant to do a number of things... not just protect the frame. You don't have to be a 40 year vet of street riding or a 5 year vet of these forums to know that.

What do you want them to do? Tip over protection like I wanted them for? There is a few out there that have a bracket mounted behind the fairing and then the slider mounts to that. I bought Oggy Knobs and will install them when I get home. Don't have all the info as I am still at work and they are a tad pricey but I got them on a deal. Search has a couple great threads on them. If I remember when I get home from work, I think I have them in my favorites.

No slider of any type will protect the bike in every situation. The very best sliders are hardbags anyway.

I know folks who think there bike will be fine in any tip or crash just because they have sliders.

THEY ARE CALLED FRAME SLIDERS, NOT FAIRING PROTECTORS.

Frame sliders can also dig in and cause a bike to start flipping in self destruct mode.

I absolutly never said that a real slider will save a bike.

I've seen the bobbins or whatever you want to call them smash radiators and bust fairings.

None are perfect. No cuts may work in one situation and not another and vice versa.

And yes a 5mph crash can total your bike. Dent in the tank, busted radiator, busted fairing's, dented wheel, guess what it's totaled.

• Member Contributer

Give me a break.

No slider of any type will protect the bike in every situation. The very best sliders are hardbags anyway.

I know folks who think there bike will be fine in any tip or crash just because they have sliders.

THEY ARE CALLED FRAME SLIDERS, NOT FAIRING PROTECTORS.

Frame sliders can also dig in and cause a bike to start flipping in self destruct mode.

I absolutly never said that a real slider will save a bike.

I've seen the bobbins or whatever you want to call them smash radiators and bust fairings.

None are perfect. No cuts may work in one situation and not another and vice versa.

And yes a 5mph crash can total your bike. Dent in the tank, busted radiator, busted fairing's, dented wheel, guess what it's totaled.

I was under the impression that the frame was on the inside of the fairing. Guess my bike was made different.

I also learned that a dented gas tank totals a bike. I thought total meant total loss.

Guess I have a lot to learn about bikes. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
I was under the impression that the frame was on the inside of the fairing. Guess my bike was made different.

I also learned that a dented gas tank totals a bike. I thought total meant total loss.

Guess I have a lot to learn about bikes. :cool:

When you tip over, the fairing stay will bend, and the fairing will crush the fuel tank, radiator, and the frame itself. My bike was totaled for this exact reason, when the fairing scratched the frame.

Guess I have a lot to learn about bikes. :cool:

When you tip over, the fairing stay will bend, and the fairing will crush the fuel tank, radiator, and the frame itself. My bike was totaled for this exact reason, when the fairing scratched the frame.

Thanks Jeremy. We both know a little bit about dropping bikes at any speed. It doesnt take much at all to total a bike. Mines totaled right now. There is a tiny scratch on the frame.

Jeremy post the pic of your 100mph lowside that didnt cause much damage.

It's not like a car at all.

You can get great deals at insurance auctions because of totaled bike with hardly any damage. I have a friend who got a 636 because of a dent in the frame the size of a pencil eraser, thats it.

Infidel are you military? If so thanks for keeping us free. Nothing but respect.

• Member Contributer

Not the best pics, taken in the trailer while loading it up.

PA210102.jpg

Broken footpeg hanger, trashed center stand and shifter

PA210105.jpg

Upper and side fairing, bar end and lever of course. The crackling in the fuel tank paint is my crappy rattle can clear coat that didn't last very long after fixing damage from a previous crash. The fairing did not touch the tank, radiator, or frame in this case.

PA210104.jpg

What was left of the frame slider, and one of the reasons I would prefer Radar's. It is difficult to remove the slider when the nut and the engine mount bolt have become one. The bike took a very long slide, it never left the track, just slid on its side straight down the back straight at Jennings.

• Member Contributer

Skip the frame sliders and buy OEM hard bags. They will work much better than any frame sliders.

Just like frame sliders, hardbags are not a guarantee they will protect the bike.

• Member Contributer
Thanks Jeremy. We both know a little bit about dropping bikes at any speed. It doesnt take much at all to total a bike. Mines totaled right now. There is a tiny scratch on the frame.

Jeremy post the pic of your 100mph lowside that didnt cause much damage.

It's not like a car at all.

You can get great deals at insurance auctions because of totaled bike with hardly any damage. I have a friend who got a 636 because of a dent in the frame the size of a pencil eraser, thats it.

Infidel are you military? If so thanks for keeping us free. Nothing but respect.

Yeah. Retired this year but still over here sluggin it out as a civilian. Got rocked this morning hehe. All is good though and thanks for the comments.

Like I said, I learned a lot here. You never realize the amount of damage that could be caused just by a slight drop.

I had little confidence in non drillings till I was pointed to Oggy knobs and have confidence after seeing the pics my wife sent me. Some thick brackets. Pricey but liked the style. Was just looking for tip over protection.

Good info here that wasn't in some of the other slider threads. Could make for a good search for someone looking for the info in here.

EDIT: Had to re-read something.. can you explain to me the whole "Frame is scratched" is totaling the bike? Sorry if this is getting side tracked.

Edited by Infidel