Hossackviffer Mkii

redmarque

• Member Contributer

Thanks Larry :fing02:

I'm not really sure what you mean - i don't understand your description of the issue. :blush:

i've decided not to spend $$ modifiy the engine until everything else is complete. If the bike handles well then i'll certainly look into more power.

Working on the steering/handlebar mounting atm.. wil post pics when more parts are finished.

• Member Contributer

I know you were intending to fabricate a tank and use a CBR tank cover, but it might be worth getting in touch with these guys and have an alloy tank made.  At least you know it would be watertight (or petroltight) and it would take your weight when you hang off the bike.

Hey those tanks are sure pretty and unfortunatly expensive! As this is a prototype that I don't even know if it will work yet; I thought it best to make things functional first and aesthetic second.

This mad supercharged TL1000 built for hillclimbing has simular idea to what i'd planned to use. - without the supercharger/plenum :wub:

150520101002.jpg

150520101004.jpg

:offtopic: Apparently it makes over 200BHP and looks the business!

I know you were intending to fabricate a tank and use a CBR tank cover, but it might be worth getting in touch with these guys and have an alloy tank made.  At least you know it would be watertight (or petroltight) and it would take your weight when you hang off the bike.

Hey those tanks are sure pretty and unfortunatly expensive! As this is a prototype that I don't even know if it will work yet; I thought it best to make things functional first and aesthetic second.

This mad supercharged TL1000 built for hillclimbing has simular idea to what i'd planned to use.  - without the supercharger/plenum :wub:

Ok, I didn't know what your budget was but I thought £500ish was a good price for a custom built tank.  

The TL looks great.  I wonder if it's for sale, it would be ideal for my commute :)

Guest vfrrider

Where the lower a arm connects with the forks. The forces going into this are up and down. The spreaders going out to the forks transmit this as in and out to the fork legs, essentially spreading them in and out. Although CrMo is terrifically strong, and the welds stronger, the forces will try to flex those welds and nothoing withstands repeated lateral loading forever until fatigue steps in. Maybe a little triangulation at the fork junction would be advisable. Do not have access to the loads, but a FE program would tell you the kind of loads anticipated. My dumb idea of the day.

Looking good.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Ah, Now I understand what you're getting at!

Your reasons for concern are valid and I thank you for pointing out a possible issue.

Having re-evaluated the design and discussed with my engineer/welder friend i’ve come to the conclusion that if there were only 2 spreading bars I would agree that more triangulation would need to be added. The design has four connecting struts to front and rear of the fork all of which are angled to transmit the loads.

Look at this Vincent girder fork for example; which has only 2 legs. Instead of round tubes it utilises a thick plate to perform a similar function. Also note the material (mild steel) and section/thickness of the fork legs compared to my Hossack design.

black-shadow-girder.jpg

I will be keeping a close eye on all the frame and forks for any signs of fatigue once testing begins. My sense of life preservation is VERY strong!

• Member Contributer

Ok, I didn't know what your budget was but I thought £500ish was a good price for a custom built tank.  

The TL looks great.  I wonder if it's for sale, it would be ideal for my commute :)

Wish I had more funds to indulge my hobby further :blush:

Yeah that TL would be a hoot though morning traffic... V-twin booming and hiss of waste gate to intimidate the car drivers! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

The spring tubes are not on that Vincent. The springs were in long thin tubes behind the blades in your photo; you can see the 2 bolts where they mount at the bottom. The tops mount to the bobbin like thing just behind the steel joining plate. That is where the spring load goes. The thing that looks like a small modern shock at the top is, in fact, just an hydraulic damper - no spring there. The spring load is carried from the bottom of the girder to the lower wishbone.

In your design the entire wheel load is transmitted up to the 4 short angled tubes onto the spring/shock unit. There is a spreading load there whereas the Vincent has only the damping forces there. I agree with VFRider about the spreading but have no gut feel if it is significant or not.

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Agghhh! You got me there Seb! Yep there's some progress... slow progress but something to look at!

gallery_12018_6177_52130.jpg

Coils mounted... has anyone worked out if a coil-on-plug setup works yet?

gallery_12018_6177_129231.jpg

airbox plug nearly ready for fibreglass - i've moulded this now but haven't taken any pics of it yet.

gallery_12018_6177_23599.jpg

Coils mounted... has anyone worked out if a coil-on-plug setup works yet?

Rangerscott69 has a C.O.P. setup on his 5th gen, and apparently it runs.

I asked for a long term durability report, but I think he's busy, or hasn't been riding the bike.

Maybe PM him, or here's the thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/67684-5th-gen-coil-on-plug-setup/page__p__790838#entry790838

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Ha. I never saw that I was mentioned in this kick ass thread. The COP's ran fine while I had them installed. Just took them off because of vacation trips and just wanted to eliminate any problems. There are others that have been running them longer than I have with no problems.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm... apologies all - I hadn't seen that anyone had posted to this thread this year till this morning!

Some progess..

I've moulded a rudimentry airbox as a standard one wouldn't fit between the frame rails. filtering is going to be minimal... stainless steel mesh maybe a thin layer of foam.

airbox_fibre1.jpg

airbox_fibre2.jpg

All of the electrics are mounted under the seat plate apart from the tilt switch sensor. Fibreglassed a holder for the LiFe Po4 battery.

life_battm.jpg

Having read the COP thread yesterday. i've pulled the trigger on some late model GSXR 750/600 coil sticks - getting rid of those traditional coils and leads will be great with such limmited space.

• Member Contributer

Cheers doug, It's more of where was I going to put the old style coils I have them mounted like this... and they look meh!

coil_loc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

i started designing some rearsets a long time ago.... well there's a fair amount of machining and design in a full set.. so I cheated..

5gen_rearsets1.jpg

Adaptor plates... keep it simple and allow any cbr600rr rearsets to be used. these are from uk gbmoto.

I need to machine another set with the mounting holes more upright.

• Member Contributer

We need to collaborate and make many, many sets for all our VFR brothers and sisters around the world. :wink:

Yes indeed we do :fing02: Some chamfering on the edges and black anodising and we'll be good to go.

Here's the other side and a better shot of a plate.

5gen_rearsets2.jpg

5gen_rearsets.jpg

Uses one of gear linkages that comes with the rearsets.