Hossackviffer Mkii

redmarque

Guest heng47

I had thought of using the original torque values for the engine mounts too. The area that's really puzzling me are the forks. I've found a few online torque calculators but what I'm really worried about are the suspension/shearing forces and how they act on those mounts. To make things complicated*, I'm mounting the upper wishbone to an eccentric adjustor so that I can play with the rake angle. I'm kinda afraid the suspensions forces might forcifully rotate the adjustor on its spot.

4721501560_beae4a4588.jpg

4721501594_c3da54be55.jpg

*if you're wondering why, it's because my grad thesis is based on a chassis with variable geometry, mainly rake, engine position and ride height.

Edited by heng47

• Member Contributer

I don't think you should have an issue with eccentric adjusters if you have a large enough surface area and clamping force. John Britten used an eccentric in the lower wishbone to adjust for ride height on the shock mount.

Also have a look at this amazing TL1000R engined setup

mypic27.JPG

or pics here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~riccij/gallery.html

another point.. if your going to change the rake by shortening the top wishbone. your steering/handlebar headstock must remain concentric and parallel to the fork axis.

As it can't remain fully parallel though the entrire travel set it parallel at about 1/3 travel, if you understand my meaning.

Guest heng47

43176169.jpg

Like this you mean?

I maybe mistaking perpendicular for concentric. By concentric, do you mean it must be inline with the steering axis?

What happens if you don't?

This might get interesting... I'm planning a range of 23.5 to maybe 30 degrees, that's going to be alot of movement.

I initially only wanted the range for street/tour/track/DS bikes but my lecturer prefers if I allow for a little more extremes.

I like how he offset the shock on that TL. I was thinking of placing my shock horizontally on the tank or something so you could visually see the shock compress but the math scares me. I do want to move the rear shock elsewhere for packaging issues; I can't lower the ride height much if it remains where it is. I might place it beside the sump where the Firestorm's original exhaust routes through, doing the math for the linkage is going to be hell though.

BTW, I have Britten's book and didn't notice the eccentric adjustor. Nice tidbit!

Edited by heng47

• Member Contributer

The handlebar steering axis would ideally need to be directly above the fork turning axis (concentric). As the forks follow a curve as they move up and down, the steering axis can only be in perfect alignment at one part of the travel. Also as you turn the steering away from center the plane in which the fork turns and the handlebar turns become non-parallel slightly. it's worth incorparating a rod end ball type joint in the linkage to allow for this.

If you don't make sure that the steering is as near concentric and parallel as possible you will get what's called 'bump steer' as the arms move up the linkage will turn the handlebars for you! I heard from a reliable source the prototype bimota tesi threw off the first test rider because of this issue. Car's also suffer from the same problem in there suspension systems

Might be worth you making a model from balsa wood or simular so you can understand the forces.

As to shock positioning: please take the challenge of putting it somewhere interesting! I'm no engineer so tried to keep it simple.. :491:

Your planned rake figures seem rather relaxed... Have a read of this article by Tony Foale: http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

Watch One man's Dream - The Britten Story there's some footage of the bike without fairing on. Also highly insparational viewing for any project bike builder ! :blush:

Guest heng47

I plucked those rake figures from current bikes. The 23.5 figure came from the CBR600RR, it had the steepest one. Ducatis were mostly 24.5. Street/naked bikes are 25.5~26.5. I think I read in the book that John Britten kept to a traditional 20-ish rake figure despite the hossack front, seriously I don't know better either. That 15 degree BMW looks interesting, if not a little scary. But it does provide food for thought. I'll mock up a quick model once I have the figures meshed out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Another goal reached! :biggrin: So pleased the forks are ready for welding.

I'm never ever profiling tubes with such low angle joints and bends again! :blink:

forkstack.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yep, it's going to be a challenge.. fortunately not for me though! I'm hiring the same guy whom did the welding on Mk1. After all this effort and accuracy I don't trust myself!

The front parts of the legs and ajoining tubes aren't tacked on yet, so that the rear legs can be welded first.

• Member Contributer

SEXY!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

But I can say it bigger...

That is one sexy fork!

• Member Contributer

I like your project... telescopic forks are way over due for

replacement... did you find Tony's book useful???

While Tony Foale was in the Bay Area he gave a 2 day seminar... very

interesting... I taped it all and I'm still digesting it... the man is a

genius...

Inside Ray Abrams shop on board Kenny Roberts TZ750 Flat Tracker...

gallery_3131_51_60983.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Popped in on James the welder's shop this morning...

Progress!!! :cheerleader:

startwelding.jpg

• Member Contributer

New upper and lower designed and fabricated. Increased the area which the tubes join around the bearing cups for added strength.

upperlowerarms.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Backup from welders! Test fitted frame on motor with scrap mounting plates.

A few modifications to the position will be needed to align rear shock and upper front a-arm.

frametestfit.jpg

Fork came out rather well :cheerleader: Nice welding - will need some mild heat to get both calipers to line up correctly.

forktestfit.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Canuck!

I offen think I must be a bit crazy :goofy: - especially taking on a project like this! :blush: So much still to do!

• 1 month later...

Some really impressive work here, both the designing and fabricating.   :fing02:

I know you were intending to fabricate a tank and use a CBR tank cover, but it might be worth getting in touch with these guys and have an alloy tank made.  At least you know it would be watertight (or petroltight) and it would take your weight when you hang off the bike.

Guest vfrrider

Backup from welders! Test fitted frame on motor with scrap mounting plates.

A few modifications to the position will be needed to align rear shock and upper front a-arm.

frametestfit.jpg

Fork came out rather well :cheerleader: Nice welding - will need some mild heat to get both calipers to line up correctly.

forktestfit.jpg

Following your project with great interest.

Looking at the front end, I'm a little worried about the stress going into that lower bearing mount. Since the forces will be going into the cup vertically, the spreaders might have a tendency to flex the tubes at the junction, in and out, up and down. Maybe a little triangulation on those joints?

Great progress so far. Now would be the time for that big bore kit, too.

Larry

VFRrider