How Necessary Is A Voltmeter?

enzed_viffer

In the wake of recent battery problems, I have done lots of reading of threads on VFRD about voltmeters, and have browsed the shops here to see what is available. To get and fit anything semi-decent, it looks like I'm going to have to part with more coin than I really want to.

How important would you deem a voltmeter to be? I've got a cheap multimeter of my own, and access to a couple of better ones. Most of my riding is commuting, so it's unlikely I'm going to get stranded anywhere. My bike now has a brand new battery (used a whole one time!), which is beefier than the OEM one (it's a factory-sealed AGM type, and 14Ah capacity). I have had two R/R failures (1990 VFR750 and 1998 VTR1000) and both took so long to die that I had plenty of warning, although both left me on the side of the road at least once. With the VTR I fitted a combination clock/stopwatch/voltmeter, and it helped me to diagnose an R/R failure while riding (which I then ignored and kept riding until the battery was so low that the ignition would no longer fire!)

I have no reason to suspect my current R/R of harbouring any malice towards me, as it checks out fine, and the 2001 VFR isn't renowned for charging system problems.

The trouble I have is that various battery monitoring devices are either too big (analog voltmeter), too simple (coloured LEDs) or too expensive, or too ugly, or not weatherproof (I ride in all weather) or many of the above.

Do I really need one?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Not sure, but I just ordered a one of these today.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BOVOLT

I'm doing a lot of wiring on the bike while my wife is on bed rest, so i figure that I'd put that on there. I'd rather have a meter that gives a numerical read out, but I like the signal LED for it's small mounting area.

I've had an R/R go out on a '94 and my '06 is rock solid, minus the time that I left the key on and killed the battery.

I guess it depends on how closely you pay attention to it, I thought I did but not enough. You got to check it every 15 minutes, to catch a potential issue.

I like it though, but it was not my eyesight that saw the failure , it was the alarms on my RD going off, saying low voltage.

• Forum CEO

Well I found it helps to use a simple volt monitor, I have a led model - one led that blinks green, solid green, yellow, red, and blinks red for low voltage. It helps to know when your bike needs troubleshooting and maintence. You get very used to the solid dull green color of a good charge, then when it changes color like when its ideling or the engine is off you notice it right away. It gets your attention when it changes color the intensity goes up and you have time to react to it, find a place to pull into or turn around and head home.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

• Member Contributer
Well I found it helps to use a simple volt monitor, I have a led model - one led that blinks green, solid green, yellow, red, and blinks red for low voltage. It helps to know when your bike needs troubleshooting and maintence. You get very used to the solid dull green color of a good charge, then when it changes color like when its ideling or the engine is off you notice it right away. It gets your attention when it changes color the intensity goes up and you have time to react to it, find a place to pull into or turn around and head home.

I have one of these. I put a switch inline so that it's only on when I want to check voltage like when I'm running heated gear, grips, brights, etc.

Scoot053.jpg

Thanks for your replies, guys.

The last voltmeter I had (the one on the VTR) had both LEDs (yellow, green, red) and a digital display. It would be perfect except it's also a clock/stopwatch/lap timer, none of which I need, it's not really weatherproof (although it fared OK on the VTR in all weathers), the wires are a little thin and it's slightly more expensive than the cheapest analogue gauge I looked at (around NZ$45). Digital ones like the Lascar and Datel units are around NZ$90 and up, plus postage. I can get a simple kit with a bi-coloured LED for under NZ$15, and apparently this can adapted to have a tri-coloured LED for a couple of bucks more. I may go that way, as it's the least intrusive to install.

Knowing the electrical system is the VFR's Achilles heel, I'm reluctant to add anything electrical mods to my bike. But if I did, other than maybe simple grip warmers, I'd add a voltmeter, too. wink.gif

This is what I used. All you need to make it waterproof is a line of cilicone around the part that fits together on the back................ the wire hole, is already ciliconed..... It might not be what you want but I thought I'd show it to you....

gallery_16535_4484_607338.jpg

DSC00147.JPG

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/...tery-Gauge.aspx

• Member Contributer
This is what I used. All you need to make it waterproof is a line of cilicone around the part that fits together on the back................ the wire hole, is already ciliconed..... It might not be what you want but I thought I'd show it to you....

DSC00147.JPG

Hey Monk, stop looking at your volt meter and check the fuel gauge :blink:

• Member Contributer

On one occasion my voltmeter saved me from being stranded hundreds of miles away. Instead I was almost able to make it back home. One of the best $50 I spent on my VFR.

It is 100% necessary.

I purchased and installed the same one Hispanic Slammer talks about. I love it. I attached the led light to my Garmin mount. Being stranded once is enough....great peace of mind.

Mike

• Member Contributer

I installed a small (1.5" dia.) analog voltmeter a while back. While riding back from the Mid-Ohio Vintage Race Days earlier this year, I noticed the voltage had dropped and my battery wasn't charging. This was important information to have so I would know to park on or close to a slope when getting gas or stopping for some other purpose so I could then bump-start my bike without anyone else's assistance. I think it cost about $16.00, and took maybe an hour to install.

• Member Contributer

If you have ever experienced a battery enlarging and giving off a faint boiling whine due to too much voltage coming down the charging system, then a simple voltmeter would have saved the battery and a stranding in a remote town. It also indicated some poor maintenance due to a Honda shop tech.

Everyone has their opinion, but I agree with TimC and the poorly designed Honda electrical systems.

DSC00147.JPG

Hey Monk, stop looking at your volt meter and check the fuel gauge :blink:

YO...... I've filled it up and it still keeps going back down?....... :biggrin:

I've installed one of the multi function meters, it has a bunch of stuff I don't need but does have a good digital volt readout. http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1520008/p/19348

So what is the minimum volts the vfr needs to charge the battery? It seems when I'm running "normal" its at 13.8, when I have my heated vest its around 13.6. I'm about to add heated grips and pants.

• Member Contributer

I have bought the Signal Dynamics monitor mentioned up-thread, for every bike I have owned for the last several years. I haven't yet installed the one I bought for the VFR, but the one I installed in the V-Strom saved me from getting stranded; that was what made me such a convert. Then it turned out to be irritating in the TDM, where it produces a continuous lightshow. I've done a lot of diagnostics and found nothing wrong. My boyfriend put one in his TDM at the same time I put it in mine, and his also has the lightshow. It's distracting. I think the TDM just runs at a slightly lower normal voltage. Need to replace the LED voltmeter with one that has a needle or a numeric readout.

So I am glad to hear that the Signal Dynamics monitor works well in the VFR. Need to get off my tail and install it.

GPDesign, how large is the unit you have? It's hard to tell from the picture. That might be the hot ticket for the TDM - it would also give me a clock, which I'd like to have!

I have one of these. I put a switch inline so that it's only on when I want to check voltage like when I'm running heated gear, grips, brights, etc.

Scoot053.jpg

thanks HS. I had a lascar, but it died in the rain. So now, I have a small hole in the inner fairing and this should fit nicely!

to answer the original question, since my harness has been replaced, i dont think i need this, but since i tend to get waaaaaay back in the woods with my bike, it won't hurt to have it.

I have bought the Signal Dynamics monitor mentioned up-thread, for every bike I have owned for the last several years. I haven't yet installed the one I bought for the VFR, but the one I installed in the V-Strom saved me from getting stranded; that was what made me such a convert. Then it turned out to be irritating in the TDM, where it produces a continuous lightshow. I've done a lot of diagnostics and found nothing wrong. My boyfriend put one in his TDM at the same time I put it in mine, and his also has the lightshow. It's distracting. I think the TDM just runs at a slightly lower normal voltage. Need to replace the LED voltmeter with one that has a needle or a numeric readout.

So I am glad to hear that the Signal Dynamics monitor works well in the VFR. Need to get off my tail and install it.

GPDesign, how large is the unit you have? It's hard to tell from the picture. That might be the hot ticket for the TDM - it would also give me a clock, which I'd like to have!

Its not too large, around 1" x 5" or so. I have it velcroed to my top triple clamp and it fits nicely. Its not advertised as weatherproof, but its been in the rain a fair amount and still works well (3 years now).

• Member Contributer

A datel meter is going on mine soon. Not cheap, I agee, but important enough that I think it's money well spent. I prefer to know what's going on so I can only blame myself when something goes wrong. :blush:

• Member Contributer
In the wake of recent battery problems, I have done lots of reading of threads on VFRD about voltmeters, and have browsed the shops here to see what is available. To get and fit anything semi-decent, it looks like I'm going to have to part with more coin than I really want to.

How important would you deem a voltmeter to be? I've got

Do I really need one?

They can keep you from being stranded.

Do you have a GPS on the bike? Some of those contain a voltmeter.

• Member Contributer

I seem to remember a pic of a yellow 5th Gen VFR with a Honda marine analog voltmeter on the left fairing. It looked very nice and was fairly cheap too. Keithbob I think.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiver...php/t53545.html

Just saying.

You guys are getting me to think, since I'm thinking about keeping that VFR, maybe I should install one too (and beef them up wires maybe), but I'd like a simple/cheap digital reading.

I also need to install heated grips, and the new integrated mirrors, so it looks like I'll be doing a lot of electrical work over the winter, and this is not even my bag... Oh yeah, I also need to fix the O2 sensors on mine, they are defective and they trigger the FI light. Sigh. Oh well, I guess that's what heated garages are for in the winter right?

C

• Member Contributer

How important would you deem a voltmeter to be? I've got

Do I really need one?

They can keep you from being stranded.

Do you have a GPS on the bike? Some of those contain a voltmeter.

My radar detector can be set to provide a digital voltage readout on the dispaly. Very tiny, though.

Archived