Simple Minded Chain Oiler

JETS

• Member Contributer

Phots are of the oiler--a Container store 4 oz. lotion pump, modified with a pin hole to prevent siphon action and attached to Ace Hardware 3/16 copper tubing with a generous bedding of hot glue. Vinyl tubing runs to the swing arm and a stainless bracket filled with a squared off rubber stopper that is drilled to hold the exiting 3/16 tube which then wyes into twin small copper tubes (about 12 ga., also Ace hobby section). Oil is deposited onto both sides of the sprocket and carried into both chain o-ring areas by centrifugal forces. 12 ga. tubes were fitted into the swaged out 3/16 tube and soldered in place. The outlets tubes are tipped with 12 ga. vinyl wiring insulation that was stripped off and trimmed. This flexible end allows close approximation to the sprocket teeth and nuts without worrying about interferece or in reversing when the sprocket rotates backwards.

The aluminum oil container fits nicely into a black irrigation lawn sprinker body that has been cleaned up of protrusions and fitted with an aluminum bracket to fasten it to the appropriate location. Give it a push now and then. Mine fits unobtrusively inside the front cowling.

post-3259-1254794343_thumb.jpg

post-3259-1254794397_thumb.jpgpost-3259-1254794418_thumb.jpgpost-3259-1254794437_thumb.jpg

Tom

• Member Contributer

OH MAN I love the ingenuity! :blink: :laugh:

Unfortunately for me and my pea brain, it's remembering to use it that would be the weak link (pun intended).

• Member Contributer

Nifty! I just added a link to this post, to my chain oiler blog, along with the others that you can make at home cheap. If I ever do a second round of this, I'll definitely have some things to try. I especially like your twin tip applicator nozzle, it's really clever!