5th Generation Sprocket Guide

Guest Pete McCrary

Question

24 answers to this question

Guest Pete McCrary

6th Gen chart got Pinned (see top of page in Modifications Forum). I did it first.

BR ask me to do the computations for a 5th Gen also. He is suppose to pin this post. Don't know why he hasn't yet.

Guest Pete McCrary
what can i use this information for?

The purpose of both of the charts I put together is to try and give empirical answers to "if I drop one here and add one there, etc" how will my scooter be affected, blah, blah, blah. That same question gets asked 100 times on this board. I figured it was time to do the calculations so everyone could see what the effects are. I was getting frustrated by the vagueness of statements such as "going up two teeth on the rear is equal to going down one on the front", etc, etc.

For instance, if you do the 16/45 mod, your new 6th gear is pretty well going to be equal to a stock 5th Gen's 5th gear.

It's empirical information for anyone contemplating changing their sprockets. They can see exactly what the effects will be.

6th Gen chart got Pinned (see top of page in Modifications Forum). I did it first.

BR ask me to do the computations for a 5th Gen also. He is suppose to pin this post. Don't know why he hasn't yet.

Cool, that was the bit I was missing.

Thanks Pete

Guest Pete McCrary

I think it has something to do with him being in the hospital with two broken legs. Not sure that's the exact reason, but it sure does sound like a good one.

Guest Pete McCrary
Don't worry, I only have a broken ankle and separated shoulder, so I pinned it. :fing02:

We'll all just have to wait at the next turn for Bailey, he's bringing up the rear. :blush:

Thanks Veefer!

Att the moment I sitt and wounder if I will get stock 17/43 or 17/45 for my 5th gen.

I would like second a bit lower in twists, spechally 2 up, but I will go a lot commuting next season, so how mutch will it effect fule economy?

Att the moment I sitt and wounder if I will get stock 17/43 or 17/45 for my 5th gen.

I would like second a bit lower in twists, spechally 2 up, but I will go a lot commuting next season, so how mutch will it effect fule economy?

I would suggest the 45(ever 46 if you 2-up a bunch) rear for sure and unless your slab the whole way at 90 mph I doubt it will effect mpg much at all! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I switched to the 17/45 set up last summer and am still averaging 41.8 mpg (17.7 km/l) on my '99.

Well I seem to have a odd problem, no shop or importer have a 45 thoot sprocket in stock in my country!

I was going to change them early next week.

So I´m in to ither stock 17/43 or go one down front to 16/43.

I was also planing to rise the rear a bit by shiming the upper shock mount. Going down one on front sprocket and riseing rear end, will I have my chain rubbing the swingarm all the time? :wheel:

Well I seem to have a odd problem, no shop or importer have a 45 thoot sprocket in stock in my country!

I was going to change them early next week.

So I´m in to ither stock 17/43 or go one down front to 16/43.

I was also planing to rise the rear a bit by shiming the upper shock mount. Going down one on front sprocket and riseing rear end, will I have my chain rubbing the swingarm all the time? :fing02:

I run the 16/43 on my 5th gen and don't see that(raised rear) as an issue. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Math Check...

so the increase from 17/43 to 17/45 is 4.453%, and that translates roughly to 6267 instead of 6000 RPM in top gear? That isn't much change. One of the reasons that the mileage isn't hurt much or at all is because the engine is running slightly "easier" even though it's spinning a little faster. Sounds like a decent change.

For the increase of two teeth in the rear, does the new chain need to be +2 links from the stock chain length (don't remember that count off hand)?

I run the 16/43 on my 5th gen and don't see that(raised rear) as an issue. :fing02:

Ok, thanks for the info. I have to order a 16/43 set then.

Where does the speedometer read the bike's speed from? Is it the front axle, the front sprocket, rear sprocket, rear axle..? Is the odometer from the same place?

Speedo runs off front sprocket, odo is the same signal.

So any gearing changes throw off the signal to both.

Where does the speedometer read the bike's speed from? Is it the front axle, the front sprocket, rear sprocket, rear axle..? Is the odometer from the same place?

Speedo runs off front sprocket, odo is the same signal.

So any gearing changes throw off the signal to both.

Thanks! I don't think I can see my front sprocket to count its teeth. Is it a pain to remove the stuff that's in the way?

Edited by number9

I'm considering 16/45 swap with a 520 chain

Was concerned about revs on the highway.

Figured out using gear commander at the same speed drop to 5th.

If I am happy with the revs it is sitting at then that will be my new 6th gear.

As most of my riding is weekend hobby riding and not a lot of long distance stuff the higher revs should not bother me too much.

Also a side note the quicker wear will still be a long time in terms of time for me as I don't rack km's up as quick as id like to anyway haha.

Pretty sure the extra poke of the 16/45 will put a smile on my face and be worth it in the end.

Just wait for the chain and sprocket time now I guess haha.