Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

• Member Contributer

Ouch.. Sorry to hear about the bad landing. Heal fast.

It might been cheaper in the long run to just buy the Ti Rods and Torro for the 46.

Take care.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your crash. Best wishes for a speedy recovery... and keep up with the good spirit eh!

Titanium Connecting rods, huh, you had me worried for a minute that your bike was going to be faster than mine. What a relief to know you were only talking about thingies for your foot. Now, seriously what the hell happened?

Ok, my suggestion, lay back on the couch and watch Madagascar again. You've almost got every line memorized already, time to nail it.

I agree with the above comments that your great sense of humor will help you heal quickly. Take care, you were a blast to travel with, looking forward to next year.

Do you want me to look for a 5th Gen in Seattle Area, just say the word.

Now for some reason when you talk about running the gas plant control room, I'm seeing Homer Simpson in the nuclear power plant control room eating donuts, I don't know why :laugh: . . . .

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob, that sucks!!!!! was that on your way home after leaving my place, I kept looking for you to post up that you'd made it home safe etc. and didn't see it, I thought you just hadn't posted up as there was no other thread about a crash or anything, and that looks painful!!! If there's anything I can do just let me know.

Paul.

Well, Rob - you're keep up your record of informative and entertaining modification posts... and yes I did notice your absence - sorry to hear of the incident, best wishes with the leg and recovery in general.

My brother went through the same thing so I understand the difficulties involved (despite your glossing over of the technicalities involved).

Titanium Connecting rods, huh, you had me worried for a minute that your bike was going to be faster than mine. What a relief to know you were only talking about thingies for your foot. Now, seriously what the hell happened?

Ok, my suggestion, lay back on the couch and watch Madagascar again. You've almost got every line memorized already, time to nail it.

I agree with the above comments that your great sense of humor will help you heal quickly. Take care, you were a blast to travel with, looking forward to next year.

Do you want me to look for a 5th Gen in Seattle Area, just say the word.

Now for some reason when you talk about running the gas plant control room, I'm seeing Homer Simpson in the nuclear power plant control room eating donuts, I don't know why :goofy: . . . .

almost made it to the Geographical center of the USA there Lee, I was going to take a photo of it just for you.

It's near Belle Fourche, but about 8 miles off the road on gravel. No thanks.

so here's a picture that i didn't take:

monument.jpg

Hey Rob, that sucks!!!!! was that on your way home after leaving my place, I kept looking for you to post up that you'd made it home safe etc. and didn't see it, I thought you just hadn't posted up as there was no other thread about a crash or anything, and that looks painful!!! If there's anything I can do just let me know.

Paul.

yeah, it was. +1.gif

stopped in red deer for a burger, looked around at the honda shop at bikes, was heading home on no fixed route, stopped at a roadside turnout to read my map and look for a road that I haven't taken before

(this is within 3 hours of my home, and I know the area well on the major routes, I was looking for a backroad)

after finding a backroad, I said the road # to myself, shoulder checked, pulled out into a gap in traffic, accelerated to the speed limit, glanced in my mirrors for 1 sec, looked forward and CAR

brake, swerve, too little, too late, not enough real estate to avoid the collision.

Car violated my right of way, claims she saw me, but thought I was turning (I wasn't). Even IF someone IS turning, you DON'T enter the intersection until they have completed their turn. :angry:

S.T.O.P. It's quite simple really.......... :dry:

25 years and over 100,000km of safe riding down the tubes. I've ducked, weaved and dodged everything the mean streets have thrown at me, including flying sheets of 3/4" plywood, but I simply failed to duck this one.

Sorry, no pics of the x-rays, but I've got about 6 or 7 screws holding my talus bone together, and a buttress plate on my tibia (I think) as there was a small piece missing off the end.

dessicans_Talus_bone.gif

First thing will be seeing if I can ever walk properly again, if I can get back to work (where all I do is walk all day long) and everything else after that will be a bonus.

Pray for me guys, It's not just a broken ankle. It's pretty much destroyed into mush.

OH, and I majorly ruptured the AC joint in my left shoulder, apparently there isn't a good fix for that (shoulder separation).

I think it's somewhere around grade 4-5 that mine is. It feels awfully foreign. Like somebody else's shoulder, not mine. :ohmy:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cyberthe...der/acjoint.htm

So the future looks like this: :goofy: :beer: :mellow: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Man, I am sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, you'll be parting out that hardware soon.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

The mechanno set is long gone, I don't miss it a bit.

Now I have a lovely Ski Boot:

Swede-O-Aeris-Walking-Boot.gif

But I'm not allowed to walk in it, even though it's a "walking boot".

Zero weight bearing for three months, then we'll see.

Every time I take the boot off to elevate and rest the foot, I have to try to bring my "toes to my nose".

Yeah right, easier said than done. Getting the foot to assume a 90' angle is going to be a really, really big ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Rob, of course we're praying and hoping for all the best for you - don't doubt that for a second! If you can forgive the "backseat driving", I'd just like to remind you that you could be in much worse shape!

• Member Contributer

Ouch Rob, that really sucks. Take care, do the excersises they give you and don't cheat with the weight bearing stuff, it'll only bite you down the road. Good luck man and I'm thinking about you, and seriously if there's anything I can do from down here, you just have to ask. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob,

I know the pain of sitting around not being able to walk for months... It will get better but U dont need to walk smoothly to ride smile.gif. JK

I know a place in DENVER u can get a good deal on a nice pretty 6th GEN.. And im sure Radar will ride down and get it for ya.

DC

• Member Contributer

that sucks Rob! heal up fast!

you did have me going as well , i thought what! hes doing another mod? I know you put so much into that bike was one of a kind

Hope to see ya next year back on 2 wheels

Cheers Jeff

Hope ya heal quick, I dodged this bullet when I got plastered head on by a bmw k1200gt last year (flat land squids showing off), But if the docs let you keep the hardware, I'll pay the shipping for the Ti to use in a machine project :rolleyes:

my vstrom has some brackets made out of stuff that came out of my aunt when she crashed her Blast :blush:

• Member Contributer
First thing will be seeing if I can ever walk properly again, if I can get back to work (where all I do is walk all day long) and everything else after that will be a bonus.

Any chance a Segway would help at work ? They make some cool "offroad" models.

What's your lawyer/insurance company saying about all of this ?

Charges are being pressed against the cage driver, insurance is working on the rest, a settlement in my favour is highly likely, but first I have to heal up to whatever level I am able to progress to, then have any possible "impairment or disability" level assesed, then go from there.

So I'll probably get some cash for the broken bike fairly soon, but broken body cash may be some time in the future after my long convalescence.

I figure I had $7600 into mods on the bike, itemized everything and sent it off to the other party's insurance co. Plus $1400 in riding gear that was trashed.

Charges are being pressed against the cage driver, insurance is working on the rest, a settlement in my favour is highly likely, but first I have to heal up to whatever level I am able to progress to, then have any possible "impairment or disability" level assesed, then go from there.

So I'll probably get some cash for the broken bike fairly soon, but broken body cash may be some time in the future after my long convalescence.

I figure I had $7600 into mods on the bike, itemized everything and sent it off to the other party's insurance co. Plus $1400 in riding gear that was trashed.

Your bike sounded great. Loved it when we all got on the gas, yours modified highly, Quennell's four pipes, several Remus, me, Satintune, Jeff, only Craig with this stock St 1300 was out of tune a little in our V-4 chorus. Sorry Craig, had to bug you.

By the way Craig, how's your VFR coming along from your crash?

• Member Contributer

I was thrown off by the topic, cleverly disguised as talk about titanium rods, thinking that it was, in fact, of the engine variety. You threw me there, Rob! I had to do a double-take on this thread. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. You will heal soon enough, and won't have to be captive to Discovery Channel re-runs for too long. Hang in there!

Thanks guys.

I get my staples taken out tomorrow. OUCH!

Still working on wiggling the toes and working the foot upwards towards my nose.

I have a fine set of those connecting rod's pins, screws, plates.

Staples dont hurt one bit coming out. Last time half of mine just came out. I removed the rest, no pain at all.

Archived