'84 Vf500 Issues *edited*

Guest pmucka

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking here for a bit after making my account, but unfortunately my regional forum www.nestreetriders.com doesn't have a ton of vfr peeps and I think as I get to bottom of my issue I'm going to need more and more VF specific help. Thread Here is the link to the thread on that forum and what I've been doing. Basically the bike, an 84 vf500f, was let sit for only like a month, and the battery died, so I replaced it, but she still won't run. I have traced the issue to a lack of fuel to the carbs, and have found the petcock (w/ fuel filter inside) to be clog-free. I am attempting to figure out if the fuel pump is faulty, but somebody else suggested a tip over sensor may also be culprit. I just went out to work on the bike, and found that the inlet on the fuel pump has no suction at all, even though the outflow stem has a lot of air coming out of it. I think this explains why my carbs aren't getting any drank. is this fuel pump busted? can I tear it apart and fix it?

thanks in advance,

P

like run it and ride it like it was born to be ridden? or just run it for diagnostic. I thought I read somewhere that the 86 models didnt even have a fuel pump, so.....

thanks for the quick response,

P

• Member Contributer

Gravity fed should be adequate for normal operation even if you are heavy on the throttle. smile.gif

Just remove the pump altogether and you should be fine.

Regards,

Rollin

The fuel pump can be rebuilt, but the bike is fine without it. By pass the pump with a new fuel line from the tank to the carb feed and you should be good to go. BTW, where in VT are you? Bennington is only about 40 miles from me.

• Member Contributer

Just note that the petcock may be vacuum activated and if so it will require slight modification.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer
like run it and ride it like it was born to be ridden? or just run it for diagnostic. I thought I read somewhere that the 86 models didnt even have a fuel pump, so.....

thanks for the quick response,

P

The VF500's run perfect on gravity even at WFO. All of my 500's have been converted and you would never be able to tell the difference.... except that I'll never be left stranded because of it (again).

Just note that the petcock may be vacuum activated and if so it will require slight modification.

Regards,

Rollin

Well, my petcock has a vacuum line, which needs to have vacuum applied for gas to flow, so I guess it is vacuum activated. Do tell about this slight mod!

thanks for the quick responses everyone, it's been killing me not to get out in this nice weather. To whoever asked where in vermont I am, I'm up in Burlington, I'm a UVM student so I live in the highly overpriced student slums!

once again thanks,

Pat

VICTORY!!!!

I did the grav feed mod, and cleaned the petcock out while I was at it. I was so nervous when I hit the starter! She came to life and died. Tried again and she ran for maybe 20 seconds. After fiddling with different combos of choke and throttle, I got it running just as though nothing was wrong at all. It gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Thanks to everybody for your help,

Pat

Archived