Handguard Options?

gstanfield

• Member Contributer

OK, here in WY it gets really cold, but doesn't always snow a lot. I have developed the habit of riding to work as long as the roads are clear, even when the temps are below zero. There have been a few days I ended up riding home in the snow, but it's no big deal as long as the snow is fresh and not packed into ice. On my ST1300 it was a great mod to put a set of Suzuki DL1000 handguards on the bike to help out in the cold, but I cannot remember how they mounted and if it would work on the VFR. I'm gearing up for the cold as the temps are dropping fast here, so here is my plan.

Heated grips will go on soon

Handguards would be awsome

Spooning on a set of Dunlop 616 tires

Putting on a tall touring windshield

Most likely adding heat to the stock seat.

Improving the light output for the short days / long nights

Any tips, ideas, suggestions, condemantions??

Thanks,

George

• Member Contributer

Try some Hippo Hands with the grip heaters. The grip heaters work well, but at speed, the fronts of my hands still get chilly. I was in the process of getting some made up last year from my MIL, but the weather turned nice and I just dropped it. I guess it's time to pick that project back up.

• Member Contributer

I looked into this a while ago, but couldn't find any that were specifically made to fit my VFR. I did find a pair that were generic that could supposedly be fitted with some work. I'll see if I can find that info when I get home tonight. Handguards would be a nice thing to have.

Guest tpierce(MP)

"Hippo Hands" were my solution. I used genaric ones intended for ATVs from a local moto shop. They worked good. With the grip heaters, i was able to wear my thin gloves in even the coldest days comfortably. Many times the heaters (even on low) got too hot. A nice problem to have. A few issues with them: At highway speeds they push back ever so lightly, but enough to activate the brake light and if you take your hands out of them while moving, it can be difficult to get them back in quickly if you need to grab the brake or clutch.

Some pics:

DSC03336.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03341.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

DSC03351.jpg

I had grip warmers on my first bike, but like Hondalover above, the fronts of my fingers would still suffer. I may try Hippo Hands this winter. I have a pair of Olympia winter riding gloves that work down to about 35F, but any lower and they're ineffective, esp. at highway speeds.

BTW, I ride 'til snow starts to stick, at which point they start salting the roads and I winterize my bike.

• Member Contributer

Was it here where someone had retrofitted Vstrom handguards to a VFR? Not as toasty as those kinds of muffs, but might be enough in conjunction with heated grips...

Ciao,

Guest vfroforient

My thoughts about heated grips is that they are only equipped to do half the job.I bought some heated gloves and used them last winter and they are great.They deliver heat very passively where all you notice after riding is that your hands were not on your mind the entire ride and that they are warm when you get where you're going.

Guest klinquist

+1 on hippo hands & heated grips.

I hateHATEhate winter gloves. I wear my summer gloves year round with no issues.

Although the hippo hands certainly do look r3tarded.

:laugh:

Edited by klinquist

I use the hippo style method without heated help, I made inserts that keep the cover shaped to stay off my hands, and can take my hands off/on the grips at will.

Just bought some atv covers and modified them...

Was it here where someone had retrofitted Vstrom handguards to a VFR? Not as toasty as those kinds of muffs, but might be enough in conjunction with heated grips...

Ciao,

I did it. Check post 115 at http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=49788&hl=

Works great for me using the LSL superbike kit. Don't know about doing it with stock bars.

• Member Contributer

seeing as how it doesn't attact to the bars, unless you use the bar end parts, it should work fine. Clearance may be an issue, but I can work around that for the winter and take them off when the lakes start to melt.

thanks,

George

Sorry but the Hippohands won't do it for me personally. I hate the way they look and I want a smaller footprint. I've seen 2 pics (here and on vfrworld) of 6th gens with dirtbike guards but both of them have aftermarket handlebars with some noticeable setback/rise. I'm thinking about hacking some Barkbuster SV-specific guards or if I have to, fabbing some up. Aggravating that no one offers this commercially.

OK. So I found some Barkmasters and think they may work. None are made specifically with our bikes but I contacted the Sales dept. and got the response below. I may try these in a couple of weeks. If anyone has any idea about the bar ends he's talking about, I'd love to know.

:biggrin:

Hi Freddy

We haven't test fitted our hand guards to the Interceptor as yet, but we are a little concerned that at full lock there would

be contact with the screen or fairing. However, there are a number of bikes where we had these concerns but upon fitting

there wasn't an issue.

If you did want to go ahead and try a set then it would be our Storm S5 or S7 that you'd need. If your bar ends are hollow

when the weights/caps are removed then the S5 should fit as it's designed for 7/8" up to 1" bars. If however there is

a fixed thread of 6mm or 8mm in the end (sometimes the case with certain makes/models) then the S7 is the one to go for.

All of our products can be purchased from our US distributor Twisted Throttle - www.twistedthrottle.com.

Please do let me know how you get on and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best regards

Steve Rix

International Sales Manager

Rideworx Pty Ltd

Web: www.barkbusters.net