A Place For Everyone To Put Their Photos

I opened a photobucket account for everyone to deposit their pictures in a central place and help to avoid VFRd bandwidth overload.

You are welcome to log in and create a NEW SUB-ALBUM, please name it your VFRd username and post your pictures only in YOUR album.

I created my own album, which is currently empty, will upload after I get home.

Go here: http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/tt151/V...summit_meet_09/

Username: VFRD_summer_summit_meet_09 (copy exactly with underscores)

password is (of course): vfrdiscussion

Remember to logout after your session, and don't change any of the account settings, like setting it to PRIVATE or something like that.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, DON'T POST ANYTHING LEWD OR OTHERWISE ILLEGAL/IMPROPER IN THERE, AS IT IS LINKED TO MY PERSONAL EMAIL ADDY AND I DON'T WANT THE INTERWEBS POLICE AFTER ME!

Thank you, that is all.

Rode with Baileyrock, veefer800canuck, and jfviffer on Thursday of the meet.

Here's a short flyby video of the three (very good riders) on Gore Pass... VFR Flyby - Streaming Video

Here's a descent of Gore Pass shortly after the above recording... Gore Pass Descent - Streaming Video

(Small 800x600 images)

Pausing at the top of Gore...

vfrdgore.jpg

Following Gore Pass, Twentymile Road...

twentymile1.jpg

twentymile2.jpg

twentymilefaceoff.jpg

Following Twentymile, lunch outdoors at Lupina's Cantina in Oak Creek, as we pondered how to get Miguel's keyless bike, ignition in the "On" position, < 1/2 tank of fuel left, unopenable fuel cap, 93 miles back to Dillon.

:fing02:

vfrdoakcreek.jpg

The vids were awesome!!! Of course the flyby rocked...just don't know if i would have parked my bike where you had yours, lol!! Thanks for taking me out of my work space into the great outdoors!!!

• Member Contributer
looking at the flyby again, Bailey: how come you are not on your bike?

Because he flew up to Colorado it his VFR was too big for carry on. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Love that fly-by video, Steve. Music to my ears. :excl: You should post that up on the CSC site.

I wish I could have joined you guys, but mid-week was impossible with the start of football season...

Dirk

• Member Contributer

hehe. Hope that account doesn't get it's view bandwidth chewed up too quickly. I'll be getting the first bits of video up in a week or two. Somewhat pleased to announce that most of it will not induce nausea.

looking at the flyby again, Bailey: how come you are not on your bike?

Because he flew up to Colorado it his VFR was too big for carry on. :offtopic:

ahh thanks I did wonder! Maybe I'll fly up from the UK next year :angry:

• Forum CEO

Well talking with Didit and Radar, it just is not feasible to do it every year. We are thinking in 2 or 3 years having another summit in Montrose next time. Of course its just talk but every year would just not work, next year there is the Texasmac and another big Pacwest meet in Oregon. Tony was saying its like an olympic thing every other year perhaps? I dont know but there probably wont be one next year. I am looking at possibly Cody WY too. Who knows its a while away yet.

• Member Contributer

2012 sounds great so i can break in my new 7th GEN VFR... smile.gif

I guess its time to start organizing all 12 GIGS of pics Tam took of the trip.

GOPRO camera's are good just need to get a smarter pilot that knows how to run the Darn thing a bit better.

• Member Contributer
A little video of Didit, Radar and I going up the Million Dollar Highway 550 to Red Mountain Pass.

Nice vid. What was the music?

• Forum CEO
A little video of Didit, Radar and I going up the Million Dollar Highway 550 to Red Mountain Pass.

Nice vid. What was the music?

Pat Metheny Group - First Circle,

Denver news channels used to put the PMG music on its commercials and they would fly over the mountains with thier helicopters with a wide angle lens, it was cool and I always associated the Rockies with the music ever since. 9 news I think it was when I was growing up was famous for it.

• Member Contributer
Rode with Baileyrock, veefer800canuck, and jfviffer on Thursday of the meet.

Here's a short flyby video of the three (very good riders) on Gore Pass... VFR Flyby - Streaming Video

Here's a descent of Gore Pass shortly after the above recording... Gore Pass Descent - Streaming Video

(Small 800x600 images)

Pausing at the top of Gore...

vfrdgore.jpg

Following Gore Pass, Twentymile Road...

twentymile1.jpg

twentymile2.jpg

twentymilefaceoff.jpg

Following Twentymile, lunch outdoors at Lupina's Cantina in Oak Creek, as we pondered how to get Miguel's keyless bike, ignition in the "On" position, < 1/2 tank of fuel left, unopenable fuel cap, 93 miles back to Dillon.

:biggrin:

vfrdoakcreek.jpg

Great pictures Steve! it was great riding with you veefer,and Bailyrock if any of you guys get out my way let me know!! we will have to do a rip in my back yard for sure!!!

thanks again for leading

Jeff

panamawing came to my place on Monday night in anticipation of our Tuesday departure... Somehow, Iowa ended up being between Nebraska and Kansas and his few hour trip was an all day event.... This guy likes to ride.

On Tuesday morning, hondalover and motorman & his co-pilot showed up and we headed west.

Our first stop was the big ball of Twine in Cawker City, KS.

3846532909_b4881308a9_o.jpg

3846532855_6078663b3c_o.jpg

Then we had to make a pit stop in Hill City, KS.... aka Nowhere

3846532995_2973cab3b8_o.jpg

Then, all the officials found out that we were trying to make a break for it. They threw up road blocks and tried to turn us around. They didn't want us leaving the flat land and getting to the beautiful mountains.

3846533053_488d3905a0_o.jpg

But we made a break for it and got to the border. It was here that my battery-tendered power supply gave up the ghost. Luckily my partners are a smart lot and knew how to bump-start me. Away we went again.

3846533097_251c975a8c_o.jpg

Between Kit Carson and Colorado Springs we rode through some of the nastiest weather I have ever encountered, and I commute daily all year round. We had snow, rain, hail and big wind. The hail piled up an inch deep on the road and we were stuck in tire tracks. All this happened about 25 miles past a sign that said... "NO SERVICES NEXT 70 MILES" Forget the services... there wasn't even a tree for the next 70 miles. We were stuck out in it.

One of my greatest memories will be watching a truck pull to the side to let hondalover through... A four wheel drive pickup was driving slower than Mike in an inch of hail....CRAZY.

We made it to Colorado Springs and each of us put over 5 gallons in our tanks.

After settling in to our hotel we walked 1.8 miles to H.S. favorite resturaunt "La Uniqua". Good food, Great Margaritas.

hondalover, panamawing, motorman (co-pilot was back at the hotel warming up after the rain, snow and hail)

3847322628_30694ff331_o.jpg

We met RedDog, ColSprsVfr, Hispanic Slammer

3846533219_8e79d34890_o.jpg

LDSRIDER and his wife (who gave us a lift back to our hotel... Thank you!)

3846533281_1450671e78_o.jpg

Another local rider, hondalover, motorman and panamawing enjoy the Margarita... they were as good as Craig claimed. The elevation (and strong mix) helped get a really good buzz going in a short time. Good muscle relaxation after a long ride.

3847322784_5eba8d0545_o.jpg

The next day, after I replaced my battery, H.S. and RedDog guided us to the top of Pikes Peak. We were joined by YoshiHNS and his Dad.

3847322844_4244b0fc60_o.jpg

3846533469_2cce761bd8_o.jpg

We had to wait a little for the road to open about 3/4 of the way up. They were striping the road.

3846533517_33a24fc3e5_o.jpg

But we made it!

3846238181_0482ef2c14_o.jpg

Then H.S. led us to Dillon via his "super secret" personal backroads. I don't know where we were. But we ate lunch at a place called "Rita's Cafe" (excellent, tuna sandwiches and zuchinni soup) and passed a gold mine. Roads were curvy and H.S. was fast. Great fun.

We crossed Hoosier Pass!

3846534335_0ca7072888_o.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that I have photos of quite a few USGS markers? I added to my collection on this trip.

3847324704_9dc5e3400f_o.jpg

We arrived at the Dillon Inn and I saw more VFRs than I have ever seen in one place in my life. I know for some of you this is nothing... but for me it was cool.

3847324930_9df66ffc4a_o.jpg

On Thursday, I was in RedDogs group. He took us all over the place. We went to Loveland Pass.

3846535591_d5ec4dfc9f_o.jpg

And Mt. Evans.

3846535915_79d5272465_o.jpg

3847325460_616836dfdc_o.jpg

3846536163_57112e2959_o.jpg

That's 14,127 feet... yeah, that's higher than Pike's Peak. It is also $7.00 cheaper and paved all the way. Oh, and you're taking your life in your hands. 'Cause there ain't-no-stinkin'-guardrails and it is ~1,000 foot straight down at the edge of the road. Watch the road, not the scenery. But great fun.

3847325622_8f49aa6af6_o.jpg

3846536481_66e0df4020_o.jpg

3847322274_759574aca7_o.jpg

3847325956_f2860bd085_o.jpg

On Friday... hondalover

3847326072_97d799c099_o.jpg

Guided us flatlanders

(Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas)

3846536841_66c1f139e1_o.jpg

On a loop to Steamboat Springs... the higlight of which was Berthoud Pass... awesome

3847326382_b900b06ccd_o.jpg

3847322128_8229e6e816_o.jpg

3847326548_7759696ea0_o.jpg

I want to thank everone who made this happen.... as I wrote on your shirts..."Above & Beyond". You really did a wonderful thing. Thank you!

3846537329_faa5abc39c_o.jpg

3847003854_fb1a88384f_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

ZiaVFR showed me the RMNP and we took the Berthoud Pass on our way back to Dillion....I 100% agree with your assessment of that being a fun ride. Let's just say that the posted speed limit there on the downward side is too slow (at least for VFR's). :fing02:

It's a shame I didn't have my helmet cam setup for that run. sad.gif

Archived