Dzus Clips

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

dzus2.jpg

For that race ready look and ease of plastic removal use Dzus clips, availible at Lockhart Phillips in packages of 3, 3 clip, 6 grommets, 3 slip on backers. ?

dzus1.jpg

Lockhart Phillips (949) 489-9090

Part number 236-203 $19.95

I used 4 packages, they went on with out incident for the most part, however there are a few modifications that need to be made for the 2 backers that fit on the top where the ABS meets the softer plastic dash, where they connect with the metal fastner hole. 2 layers of plastic and a layer of metal makes the clip too short to reach the backer pin, I fixed this by using needle nose plyers on the backer to smash the pin closer, one of them I had to cut the clip in half to get it to fit, even so it took some force to get the clip to engage. I also used my Dremel tool to grind off some of the excess plastic on the inside of the fairing for added clearance then sanded it smooth.

I also used 2 clips on the lower black fairing that covers the headers, I left 2 of the original hex ones on since it comes off with only 2 of 4 fastners undone, I had to use my Dremal on the inside backer tabs to smooth them out to accept the Dzus clip on Backer, its too thick if you dont grind it off.

It is too expensive for sombody who doesnt do alot of wrentching themselves, but I like the custom look. $19.95 for a package. dzus</font>

• 1 year later...
Guest mckenzrw

oh, that explains it  :doh:

I thought of doing it to mine 'cause it looked cool, but would be pissed if someone could steel them in 5 seconds.

What are the mysterious fairing "clips" everyone talks about? I've searched for them and still don't understand, and I can't find in my Honda Service manual either. Hmmmm....

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

A bump for this innovative mod. I will be doing this in the near future after getting frustrated with some of my fairing screws.

I plan to deal with the fairing theft concern by keeping the upper screws stock (the ones that screw right into a metal "nut". The ones that are flimsy I can do without and will replace.

Thanks for the idea HS. :beer:

• Member Contributer

HS

Could you take some close up shots of how all of these parts attach to your plastic. For some reason I just can't visualize it. Would this work on the 03 models as well?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Guest JayDog2006

HS

Could you take some close up shots of how all of these parts attach to your plastic. For some reason I just can't visualize it. Would this work on the 03 models as well?

I'd be interested in seeing some close up "fairing off" pics too. I can't quite visualize how these things work. But it's a great idea!

• Member Contributer

HS

I'd be interested in seeing some close up "fairing off" pics too. I can't quite visualize how these things work. But it's a great idea!

It's pretty simple! If you get some from KurveyGirl, don't get the rivet type. Get the clip style, and they clip part slips over the inner fairing. Just have to remove the well nut first, and maybe drill out the hole on the outer fairing. If you have a step bit, one more step does it. The fastener has a ridge on it in order to hold a washer. That keeps it "captive" on the outer fairing, should you choose. I don't on my ABS fairings, cause it's kinda tight. Works great on fiberglass race bodies though.

KG sells two length- 12 and 14mm. I used 12 on the sides, but needed 14 on the top beside the tank. This is on the 5th gen, by the way. That has a metal tab that holds the well nut, plus the fairing, and the inner fairing piece. So extra material is too thick for the 12mm.

KurveyGirl DZUS

HS had a write up for the big side bolts, where he used the pull apart quick release key chain to use as fasteners. Don't know if that is still around, or how long he kept using them. Seemed like a good idea. Pretty much the same as the Sargent quick release pinss used on the 5th gen "Frankenbolts."

Guest JayDog2006

HS

It's pretty simple! If you get some from KurveyGirl, don't get the rivet type. Get the clip style, and they clip part slips over the inner fairing. Just have to remove the well nut first, and maybe drill out the hole on the outer fairing. If you have a step bit, one more step does it. The fastener has a ridge on it in order to hold a washer. That keeps it "captive" on the outer fairing, should you choose. I don't on my ABS fairings, cause it's kinda tight. Works great on fiberglass race bodies though.

KG sells two length- 12 and 14mm. I used 12 on the sides, but needed 14 on the top beside the tank. This is on the 5th gen, by the way. That has a metal tab that holds the well nut, plus the fairing, and the inner fairing piece. So extra material is too thick for the 12mm.

KurveyGirl DZUS

HS had a write up for the big side bolts, where he used the pull apart quick release key chain to use as fasteners. Don't know if that is still around, or how long he kept using them. Seemed like a good idea. Pretty much the same as the Sargent quick release pinss used on the 5th gen "Frankenbolts."

Interesting! Thanks for the info!