'00-01 R/r On '98-99?

vifferluv

Hi All,

I just got a replacement R/R from Mosites. As it turns out, the P/N I requested is for the '00-01 connectors:

31600-MBG-306 since it is the latest iteration of three numbers listed on the microfiche.

As I have my old R/R, is there any reason not to swap out the connectors and run with it?

I've got a request in to Mosites about exchanging for 31600-MBG-305 but figured I'd ask y'all.

Much appreciated!

Hi All,

I just got a replacement R/R from Mosites. As it turns out, the P/N I requested is for the '00-01 connectors:

31600-MBG-306 since it is the latest iteration of three numbers listed on the microfiche.

As I have my old R/R, is there any reason not to swap out the connectors and run with it?

I've got a request in to Mosites about exchanging for 31600-MBG-305 but figured I'd ask y'all.

Much appreciated!

no problem they are almost all the same. im using one from cbr600 on my 2000 vfr800 and it works fine. just make sure it has the same number of wires

no problem they are almost all the same. im using one from cbr600 on my 2000 vfr800 and it works fine. just make sure it has the same number of wires
Thanks for the reply!

There is a 5th wire on the connector with two red and two green-white wires. It is thinner gauge and solid black. Is it safe to assume this is a tertiary ground?

I was thinking I would follow the order of the wires coming out of the R/R in relation to where I put them on the connector as compared to where they are on the original R/R.

Thanks for the reply!

There is a 5th wire on the connector with two red and two green-white wires. It is thinner gauge and solid black. Is it safe to assume this is a tertiary ground?

I was thinking I would follow the order of the wires coming out of the R/R in relation to where I put them on the connector as compared to where they are on the original R/R.

aww the extra black wire. is it on the RR or on your bike? while im not exactly sure, i dont think its a ground, or even necessary. search the forums i remember reading about the extra black wire.

aww the extra black wire. is it on the RR or on your bike? while im not exactly sure, i dont think its a ground, or even necessary. search the forums i remember reading about the extra black wire.
Extra wire is on the '00-01 R/R. I did some searches / review before posting. I'll run some more..

Thanks again for your reply!

IIRC, the extra wire is the "monitor wire" which connects to the battery to monitor the batt voltage directly and feedback that input to the R/R so that it controls voltage more correctly.

Giant search for "monitor wire":

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...te=monitor+wire

Yes, as noted the extra black/white wire is the monitor wire. I have sold a couple of "conversion" kit harnesses for people to use this upgraded R/R...not sure if the effort is worth it, but it is doable. The Stator plug is also quite different, and will not fit nor can it be adapted. You would have to cut it off and install the correct plug. Let me know if I can help.

IIRC, the extra wire is the "monitor wire" which connects to the battery to monitor the batt voltage directly and feedback that input to the R/R so that it controls voltage more correctly.

Giant search for "monitor wire":

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...te=monitor+wire

Thanks! Helpful to know what it does and what to call it / search for :rolleyes:
Yes, as noted the extra black/white wire is the monitor wire. I have sold a couple of "conversion" kit harnesses for people to use this upgraded R/R...not sure if the effort is worth it, but it is doable. The Stator plug is also quite different, and will not fit nor can it be adapted. You would have to cut it off and install the correct plug. Let me know if I can help.
Thank you for the details and offer. Looks like I'll be able to switch the blades on the stator connector to the smaller size, then I'll be able to put it in the correct style connector. I'm going to do my best not to cut & splice, but I'll have the solder and heatshrink at the ready in case plan A fails.

I'll take some before and after pics to post :biggrin:

Huge thanks to Tightwad for some real-time info and Kanadian Ken for his monitor wire pictorial.

I now have a 306 R/R with 305 connectors:

med_gallery_1047_3908_65173.jpg

I took my time and carefully removed the 305 stator blade connectors for use on the 306. This wasn't needed for the green and red-white wires as they already shared the same connector. I mapped the wires on the 306 to follow the order used on the 305. This was likely unnecessary, but added little time. The long red wire is my extended monitor wire, which I fed up the rubber boot protecting the (+) battery connection. All new connections got some solder "just to be sure." The monitor wire soldered section got doubly shrink wrapped. Installed the plugs with dialectric grease.

Performance is as follows:

idle: 14.1-14.2V

above idle: 14.33V

(tested 1400-6000rpm)

bleed off via monitor wire: < 0.5mA

This significantly exceeds the performance I've measured on a 305 (updated '98-99 model). I'll post those numbers when I find them or remeasure.

R/R heat is significantly lower. I'll keep an eye on the bleed off, however I don't anticipate an issue since the only time ole red isn't getting ridden is when the snow's flying and the battery is inside for occasional top offs.

As seen in the pic, the old R/R works well as a solder iron stand.

Hope this is helpful for some other 5th genners!

• 5 weeks later...

My R/R just died again today. The last time was about 5 years and 15000 miles ago. Even with a dead R/R the bike will start 5 or 6 times before you need a jump. Once the battery gets to 10.75 or 11 volts it will not start anymore. A charge is needed. While running, the bike makes enough juice to run the bike without draining the battery. The juice is used up on start up. Each start drains about a quarter volt. Run it during the day, charge it at night. It may kill the battery after a while. But, my battery is under warranty still so it Does not matter if it dies.

A new R/R is on order from Ricks Motorsport Electrics. The bike should be back to normal in a few days.

Archived