The Rcbvfr Is Toast

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

Short version: 100% pit crew's fault.

Longer version: Friday evening during a long and last checkup ride before heading to the summer summit, I had an instant and violent 75+mph highside on a straightaway. Over the summer I had upgraded the front brakes on the RCBVFR's RC51 front end to cbr1000rr radials. The brake line mounts didn't match up but the lines were so short I didn't worry about it. About 150 miles into the ride, I hit a hard bump at a concrete bridge/road junction. Upon compression, I believe the crossover brake line got sucked under the backside of the front fender, pulling it taught enough to apply full pressure as the line was pinched closed then snapping. Instant wheel lock, front end tuck, and high side. I recalled a snap or pop sound right before my superman imitation.

I was launched into a Lorenzo class highside into the opposite lane as the bike slide down my lane on its left side. I landed on my knees first (hard armor) , then hands and face plant (HJC modular helmet). I flipped over once landing on my back to slide it out on the concrete bridge. No traffic or it would have been worse, a lot worse.

Bottom line: gear works. I have some rash on the left knee but more on the right butt cheek, some wrist pain (better all ready), a few contusions and bruising. Basically, I feel like I went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson but meds help! :fing02: It's been about 25 years since my last major crash and I'd like to lengthen it even longer for the next one; a lot longer!

Attending the summit is looking iffy at best. I'll try to make it if I can but the RCBVFR certainly won't be there. Oh well, I built it once I can build it again. (cue bionic man theme song).

IMG_0583.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Having had the near identical crash in the spring that killed my 5th gen, I so know your pain. Having your front lock up with no warning is a very scary feeling, so glad that your gear worked as well as mine. Hope you can find another ride to come to the meet. Hope you feel better soon.

• Member Contributer

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

You have no idea how much I liked what you did with that bike. It's always been one of my favorite ones on here. Always.

I'm glad you're okay.

• Member Contributer

Holy crap!! Glad you're ok Doug. Scary to think what could have happened. :fing02:

I'm bummed about the bike too, as I have really admired it and all the work you put into it.

• Member Contributer

The important thing is that you're alive and able to recover. A higher power was definitely looking over your shoulder. Give the scenario you were in, and as you pointed out, it could have been so much worse if there was oncoming traffic.

Your Rcbvfr is one-of-a kind. I'm sure with your perseverance and attention to detail, you will fix it to like-new condition and it will be ready to ride in the near future.

• Member Contributer

Thank God you're OK. I'm checking my all riding pants to make sure they have hard shell joint protection.

Sorry about your bike. My 4th GEN dreams of becoming a RCBVFR when it grows up.

• Member Contributer

So sorry to hear about the miss hap and really glad to hear you are fast mending. The benefit of proper gear sounds again.

As mentioned before, I too am disheartened that your masterpiece will not be there. Get Oscar (Goldman) to ensure you have unlimited

access to the resources you need to heal yourself and rebuild her better, stronger, faster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGopVkivrOg

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you're OK!

You've GOTTA rebuild that bike.

It's like the poster boy of VFRD!

Heal quick.

Both of ya.

Super glad to hear you're ok! Most people haven't had the luck of walking away from a 75 mph crash on the road. Too much stuff usually gets in the way!

As for the bike: if anybody can fix it, you can.

As for the Summit Meet: I can totally understand why you wouldn't attend but I sure hope you do!

Take care,

-T

Guest Pete McCrary

Gald you're OK Doug!

From the looks of the damage to the front fender, I think your assement of what happened is probably pretty accurate.

Guest Badazzteacher

Glad you're still here to talk about it. Your drool inducing bike can be fixed up or replaced, so get to healing and keep popping them pills!