Fuel Filler Cap - Aternatives To Oem

vfrskin

I have a bad lock on my filler cap

Bent one of my keys last week trying to get it out and now it has done the same to my LAST key

What are my options ?

Keyed filler cap or non keyed??

Get 2 new keys, then take out the bolts in the cap. Once you take out the bolts, the cap will only be held in place by the locking tabs. Push down on the cap while you insert & turn the key, the cap should release. Once it does, loosely reinsert the cap screws, then wiggle the cap to center it over the filler hole, and close the cap. Tighten the screws, and try your lock again. if it works well again, good. If not, take it back off and get it checked out by a locksmith.

You can get new keys by writing down the code located on the base of the ignition, and bringing that to a Honda dealer. I think they're about $7 a piece, plus cutting fees?

• Member Contributer

I put a Vortex Racing keyless cap on my RC51 and on the way to the track in a torrential rainstorm the tank got a lot of water in it. Never had that happen before of heard of anyone else having that problem, but it is something to think about for a street bike. Normally I tape over the cap in transit, just because. Didn't that time, and now I know why I should have.

Bottom line: if you can fix your stocker, keep it. (My opinion...)

Get 2 new keys, then take out the bolts in the cap. Once you take out the bolts, the cap will only be held in place by the locking tabs. Push down on the cap while you insert & turn the key, the cap should release. Once it does, loosely reinsert the cap screws, then wiggle the cap to center it over the filler hole, and close the cap. Tighten the screws, and try your lock again. if it works well again, good. If not, take it back off and get it checked out by a locksmith.

You can get new keys by writing down the code located on the base of the ignition, and bringing that to a Honda dealer. I think they're about $7 a piece, plus cutting fees?

keys from Honda UK are $110USD each

You didn't post your location or add it to your profile, so I didn't know you had a HISS key. That's a spendy fix then, good thing it's only bent, not broken, eh? Flatten one as best you can and try what I put up there. I've had to do it a few times.

Shoot, for $110 you could probably find a gas cap w/ key on ebay and just install that, then keep both keys around.

Any modern Honda has the same model gas cap, they all bolt right on. You should try to find a pre-HISS unit so you can get $7 keys if you break one. wink.gif

Shoot, for $110 you could probably find a gas cap w/ key on ebay and just install that, then keep both keys around.

Any modern Honda has the same model gas cap, they all bolt right on. You should try to find a pre-HISS unit so you can get $7 keys if you break one. wink.gif

i might just do that

Guest motorhead1977
I have a bad lock on my filler cap

Bent one of my keys last week trying to get it out and now it has done the same to my LAST key

What are my options ?

Keyed filler cap or non keyed??

Since the bike is now totally useless sell it to me for $12.00! Sebs idea(s) seem to be the best option really. Good luck.

Guest trickster

I am seeing this complaint, more and more. and have a few suggestions. 1 is to lubricate the lock on a regular basis. 2 push down on the cap as it is being unlocked(this takes the pressure off the key to slide the locking bolts out of the way). 3 while the cap is open make sure the key is all the way to its latched open position(not just part way). $ when you close the cap push on the cap (if it has been lubed the key will snap to its locked position) then remove the key.

the seal on the vrf tank is really tight and the lock is a little different than most. but if you are bending the key you are not doing it correctly.

summery keep cam mechanism lubed(penetrating oil and graphite), push down and hold down CAP while unlocking, push down on CAP to latch.

Seb's ... fix is a must.... But I have an added fix to go along with Seb's.

My gas cap started sticking, and having read from here to re-adjust the gas cap plate/ring, I did that and it was still sticking. So I opened the cap put a paper towel over the filler hole and file/sanded the lock tabs that go in/out when the key is turned, on the end of each tab and the corners...... opens no problems at all..... just thought I'd pass it on.... By the way, before I started filing, I pushed the rubber as if I were closing the cap(but not)..... That gives me more room to file/sand.

Edited....I see Trickster, also added good stuff, while my slow self was typing.

Summary: keep cam mechanism lubed(penetrating oil and graphite), push down and hold down CAP while unlocking, push down on CAP to latch.

Ipso-facto-apso-poso-lutely!!!! +1.gif+1.gif+1.gif

Do the same to the ignition switch/steering lock before it becomes your next 'key' issue too! :cool:

Been there, sad.gif

Greg :rolleyes: