Honda Voltmeter For Vfr

keithbob

• Member Contributer

gallery_3463_423_17226.jpg

Honda marine voltmeter in 5th gen

Honda makes an analog voltmeter for it's marine products that is waterproof and will fit right into the side fairing of a VFR. I ran into this while browsing around on an ST forum. Here's how it looks installed into the left side of my '00:

Honda part number: 37450-ZW5-000ZA (black face), -000ZB (white face). $17.00

The instructions called for a 2-1/16" hole, but I used a 2" holesaw then gently sanded the hole from the inside until the meter slipped in without play, didn't take much. So that it is only activated with the key on, I wired it from the grip heater relay and then ran the negative directly back to the battery. Test readings matched those taken directly off the battery.

A very simple install that leaves you with a stock-looking voltmeter.

One caveat is that an analog voltmeter wired directly to a battery will drain it down if left for an extended period (days, weeks?), so I would only do this using a relay or splicing into switched power. Without a relay, I'd go with the Datel or other low-draw digital units.

• Member Contributer

Looks good! I've always liked analog gauges. I installed a smaller one (1.75"d) because I thought the one you have would be too large. Doesn't look too big, though. Maybe I'll switch mine out.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, I wonder where they got that idea from..... :blink:

KG9K6446.jpg

Seriously, I took it from the goldwings but never could find a cheap one, even on flea-bay. That's when I got the idea to try a marine unit. I can't believe they Honda is only $17. Nice find.

Yes, you'll certainly need a relay; especially, if it's lighted design. I prefer dash mounting as it's easier to see and I take my fairings off to often. I have since moved on to a datel unit due to fork clearance issues.

• Member Contributer
Is it backlit?

edit - I just looked these up, and yes they are backlit. Also the part number is slightly different, with ZW5 instead of 2W5...

http://www.honda-marine.com/catalog/pdf/ml....MAC_Gauges.pdf

Thanks for pointing out the part number error - edited the original post after double-checking the box.

Yes, it's backlit, with a separate terminal for the light.

I put a connector in-line for taking the fairing off.

Guest onedowneaster

Keithbob, Very clean installation,maybe I am being a little silly,but does one have to go to a Honda Marine dealership to get one of these. Do you know if they can be purchased on line?

tks ed

it does look like it was meant to be there, keith. nice work!

i understand that the voltmeter tells you voltage in your system - what do you do if it's too high/low? shut the bike off?

i'm guessing watching this is to prevent you from overcharging or overtaxing your electrical system, correct?

• Member Contributer

i understand that the voltmeter tells you voltage in your system - what do you do if it's too high/low? shut the bike off?

i'm guessing watching this is to prevent you from overcharging or overtaxing your electrical system, correct?

It's basically letting you know that your charging system is working. If it drops too low it warns you something has gone wrong and you're riding on borrowed time.

• Member Contributer

It's basically letting you know that your charging system is working. If it drops too low it warns you something has gone wrong and you're riding on borrowed time.

Exactly. It MAY save you from getting stranded if you notice it in time. The Colorado trip is coming up... There are other units that light up red if voltage drops below a certain critical value to grab your attention.

Keithbob, Very clean installation,maybe I am being a little silly,but does one have to go to a Honda Marine dealership to get one of these. Do you know if they can be purchased on line?

You can order it from any source that sells Honda parts, I believe. I saw it online in many places, but since it's so cheap to begin with, I just ordered it from the shop down the street that sells Honda outboards. Took 3 days to arrive, no shipping cost.

What bugs me about my voltmeter that's run through an existing circuit (former license plate light) is the wiring and relays along the way that switches the power on and off with the ignition, will most likely cause a voltage drop, so the numbers I am seeing isn't exactly what the voltage is at the battery. Not as critical with analog meters, but the digital ones tend to see thsi discrepancy more.

Beck

95 VFR

tks ed

A quick check at Ron Ayers shows them for $18.99.

• Member Contributer
What bugs me about my voltmeter that's run through an existing circuit (former license plate light) is the wiring and relays along the way that switches the power on and off with the ignition, will most likely cause a voltage drop, so the numbers I am seeing isn't exactly what the voltage is at the battery. Not as critical with analog meters, but the digital ones tend to see thsi discrepancy more.

Yup, that's why I checked with my hand held meter at the battery and wires I connected the Datel unit too and noted the difference. On the RCBVFR, it's about -0.5 volts so I "factor" that in when I read it. On a previous bike, I went to the trouble of running wires directly from the gauge to the battery via a relay activated by the tail light wire. IIRC, it was less than a -0.2 volt drop.

• Member Contributer

Dammit, that's awesome! I wish I had found one of those before I got the Datels for my bikes. Oh well.

I really need a clock that looks like that one with a back light. 1.5 or 2 inch diameter, I would think. Anyone found one of those?

Guest wdgah

Beck

95 VFR

Sure, but you're missing the point of running the voltmeter.

It's not so you can get an accurate, precise measurement of the voltage, per se.

It's a warning device, so that you can see a DRASTIC CHANGE (drop) in the charging voltage, which will indicate a problem that might leave you stranded (such as what would occur if your R/R went south on you during a road trip).

Running the Voltmeter from a relayed connection is the best thing to do, otherwise a manual calculation in your head also works....like others I use my meter to look for big changes...and to pick up chicks of course.

Guest Megadeus

I like this one sold by cyclegadgets:

Clicky

I've had this unit on a couple of prior bikes and the characteristic I like the best is that it normally illuminates green at a half intensity. If there is a change in voltage that warrants a color change in the LED it goes to full brightness. It grabs my attention even in daytime. I'd consider that a better attribute than trying to recall if a needle has crept up or down a 1/8th of an inch in the past hour.

Thats extra cool, espescially because that is where I have my switch for my heated grips and I want that switch moved. So I already have a hole there.

Looks really really good.

Guest manoman48

Clicky

I've had this unit on a couple of prior bikes and the characteristic I like the best is that it normally illuminates green at a half intensity. If there is a change in voltage that warrants a color change in the LED it goes to full brightness. It grabs my attention even in daytime. I'd consider that a better attribute than trying to recall if a needle has crept up or down a 1/8th of an inch in the past hour.

Does this require some sort of switch or relay? Just wondered if you wired it straight to the battery or if there was some other technology inbetween.

• Member Contributer

Clicky

Does this require some sort of switch or relay? Just wondered if you wired it straight to the battery or if there was some other technology inbetween.

Looks like a two-conductor, one for 12VDC and a ground. And, thanks alot! Now I have to buy one.