Power Commander Iii 02-05 Work With 98-00?

Guest wetzelskid

Guest wetzelskid

I have a 1998 VFR.

So, I ordered myself a Power Commander III USB from Ebay (free shipping, it was a good price) from a store called Knee4Speed.

They shipped fast, but they shipped me a PCIII for a 2002-2005 VTEC.

When I emailed them to tell them they sent the wrong one, the response I got was "Sorry for the confusion- many PCIII models work with many different bikes. You have the right model."

Alright, looking at photos and looking at my bike, I see that the hookups for the PCIII are pretty wide on the 98-00 (like 2.5-3 inches wide ish) and the 02-05 VTEC uses skinnier ones (1.5 inches... ish).

I don't want to open the package so they can tell me they have to charge me because I opened it, but I want the right part.

Do I have the wrong part for real, like I think I do? I want to call these guys out on it after that email response.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
I have a 1998 VFR.

So, I ordered myself a Power Commander III USB from Ebay (free shipping, it was a good price) from a store called Knee4Speed.

When I emailed them to tell them they sent the wrong one, the response I got was "Sorry for the confusion- many PCIII models work with many different bikes. You have the right model."

Alright, looking at photos and looking at my bike, I see that the hookups for the PCIII are pretty wide on the 98-00 (like 2.5-3 inches wide ish) and the 02-05 VTEC uses skinnier ones (1.5 inches... ish).

I don't want to open the package so they can tell me they have to charge me because I opened it, but I want the right part.

Do I have the wrong part for real, like I think I do? I want to call these guys out on it after that email response.

Thanks.

I dont know for sure - but I think you have the wrong part. You could go to the PC website and check.

MD

• Member Contributer
I have a 1998 VFR.

Thanks.

I dont know for sure - but I think you have the wrong part. You could go to the PC website and check.

MD

edit: Seems it may not be so easy... -411 PC III incompatibility

• 2 weeks later...

from looking at the install instructions for both the 98 and the 02+ power comanders it appears they use the same connector. The one you have should work, you will just have to use a different map in it.

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/10.../eng101-411.pdf

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/11.../eng111-411.pdf