A Must Read Before Installing A Speed Correcter On '06-'09 (6.5 Gen)

coderighter

Does anyone know a source for connector contacts for VFRs?

I'm going to install per coderighter's suggestion but I want to splice

in at the gray connector, shown in his first picture, by removing the

existing speed sensor contact from the connector and adding a new

contact with the SpeedoHealer output signal on it.

This way I don't modify the existing wiring and can put it back to

factory standard in the future.

I just need to find a part number or source for these connector

contacts.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know a source for connector contacts for VFRs?

I'm going to install per coderighter's suggestion but I want to splice

in at the gray connector, shown in his first picture, by removing the

existing speed sensor contact from the connector and adding a new

contact with the SpeedoHealer output signal on it.

This way I don't modify the existing wiring and can put it back to

factory standard in the future.

I just need to find a part number or source for these connector

contacts.

PM Tightwad, he might know.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone know a source for connector contacts for VFRs? [...] I just need to find a part number or source for these connector

contacts.

Hey DanY1, what did good 'ol Tighwad say? I'm thinking the same thing you are - work up a mod that doesn't involve hacking up the factory wiring.

Hey coderighter (thanks for the BMC filter, BTW), even though my Speedohealer is only making an 8% correction for my stock setup, is it possible that the bike will behave better if I make the mod you've suggested? Even small gains in ridability at small throttle openings are welcome. I do annual starter valve syncs and have a PCIII+O2elims both of which have gone a long way to making the bike behave nicely. If doing this mod would help in even the slightest way, I'd do it. Maybe the ECU is happier all around with the stock signal inputs.

• Member Contributer

Google: Eastern Beaver, Electrical Connection, Cycle-Re-Rycle, Vintage Connections, Vehicle Wiring Products (UK)...

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone know a source for connector contacts for VFRs? [...] I just need to find a part number or source for these connector

contacts.

Hey DanY1, what did good 'ol Tighwad say? I'm thinking the same thing you are - work up a mod that doesn't involve hacking up the factory wiring.

Hey coderighter (thanks for the BMC filter, BTW), even though my Speedohealer is only making an 8% correction for my stock setup, is it possible that the bike will behave better if I make the mod you've suggested? Even small gains in ridability at small throttle openings are welcome. I do annual starter valve syncs and have a PCIII+O2elims both of which have gone a long way to making the bike behave nicely. If doing this mod would help in even the slightest way, I'd do it. Maybe the ECU is happier all around with the stock signal inputs.

I'd set the correction back to 0%. If it runs better, than rewire it. If it runs the same, put it back to 8% and don't worry about it.

Jon

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Jon, I'm revitalizing this thread. Tonight I rewired my SpeedoHealer as you suggested. I do feel better about the concept that the ECU will now be getting the stock unmodified signal as it was designed to do and the corrected SpeedoHealer signal now runs just to the instrument panel and speedometer.

So, first of all, a huge thank you to Jon (Coderighter) for his excellent research on this and for sharing his great solution. The only thing I did differently is that I removed the pin from the instrument side of the light grey connector and soldered my new wire directly onto the upper part of the pin contact where the original pink wire is crimped. This way I can remove the heat shrink tubing, desolder my added wire and return the pin contact into the grey connector and restore the factory wiring.

My concern is, having now split the speed sensor signal into the ECU and the SpeedoHealer, if this signal is not designed for a high impedance input, I have just increased the load on this signal. I mean, if the speed sensor's output is a whimpy hall effect type signal that requires special receiver circuitry for amplification etc., then I have just seriously compromised the circuit and, hence, the reliability.

Now I am inclined to research the speed sensor and what type of signal it generates. The Honda FSM refers to it as the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). It is maybe a magnetic field anomaly detector or similar. It doesn't touch anything but rather is positioned very close to the front sprocket's teeth and detects them as they whir around. As such, it seems to be a rather delicate signal. Power is applied to the VSS, along wi reference ground, and it generates a modulated gentle signal of some sort.

I wonder how delicate this signal might be and whether it might be affected by the apparent load of the SpeedoHealer's corresponding signal input circuit which, like the ECU, would be designed to amplify this wonky special signal of the VSS.

Meh, that's just the anal retentive electrical engineer part of me over analyzing and worrying. Bottom line is, if it works, it works! I'm gonna have two fingers of scotch right now to calm myself down :-)

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

As a follow up to this, I'm glad to report that many thousands of kilometers later, this mod is working fine for me. My concern - stated in previous post - over splitting the signal and creating an additional load on the VSS is unfounded since [1] it's working fine and [2] the original wiring splits the VSS signal into the speedometer circuit and the ECM anyway so it's always had the load of those two circuits. With this mod and and the Speedohealer installed, the load on the VSS is the Speedohealer and ECM instead of the Speedometer and ECM - that amounts to the same thing. We're all good!