Gps Installation

DDO-VFR

Well I finally sprung for a GSP (Garmin Nuvi 550, for 279 CAN$), and RAM mounting kits.

The Nuvi 550 comes with the cigaretter lighter charger cable, but I didn't what to jury rig that on the bike, and besides, I wanted to keep it for car use. Of course it also come with a suction cup style mount which needless to say is not ideal for a bike. I found a RAM mount and power cables at GPSCITY.CA. I ordered the RAM-B-149Z-GA32U (28$CAN) mount kit and the 010-11143-07 (21$CAN) power cable kit. Odd thing is that the cable kit only comes E/W a mounting cradle. Turns out it was a blessing because the cradle with the cable kit is much better thought out.

It has a dummy plug for the USB cable plug when the GPS unit in not in the cradle,

it has a backing plate to keep the connector from coming loose when the GPS unit is installed,

you can install the GPS into the cradle with the USB plug already in place,

and the locking mechanism is a neat cammed lever, so you don't have to fight with bending plastic.

The cradle that came with the mount kit did not have any of those features.

The power cable is equipped with the charger, a fuse, and the USB plug (and a noise suppression inductor). It was exactly the right length to reach the mount.

Here are a few photos to illustrated.

gallery_10716_3738_2673.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_48338.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_14263.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_85729.jpg

Too bad it's raining now, well I guess that goes without saying 'cuz I'm sitting here writing this stuff...just as well, I have to figure out how to upload routes anyway.

BI

• Member Contributer

What is the part # for the Ram mount and where did you get it, i'm looking for a mount for my nuvi200. I've been using the suction cup on the tank, but don't like it. I am heading to the gap in august and want to get set up. Thanks for any info you can offer.

What is the part # for the Ram mount and where did you get it, i'm looking for a mount for my nuvi200. I've been using the suction cup on the tank, but don't like it. I am heading to the gap in august and want to get set up. Thanks for any info you can offer.

I ordered at GPSCITY.CA, but they also have the same thing at GPSCITY.COM

RAM-B-149Z-GA32U (28$CAN) mount kit and

010-11143-07 (21$CAN) power cable kit.

As I said in original post, the cradle with the cable kit is a better design than the one included in the mount kit. You can order the parts in the mount kit (without the cradle) separately, you'll save around 5$ overall.

BI

Raining? Use a ziplock, and go riding. :blink:

No need. The 500 and 550 are waterproof. smile.gif

Pretty sweet setup, if you haven't figured out how to load routes on it let me know, I can PM you the fairly easy instructions.

• Member Contributer

I have been half looking for a 550 myself, currently using an older GPS V. Where did you get it for that price in Canada??? Even Costco wants over $300 CDN.

• Member Contributer

As I said in original post, the cradle with the cable kit is a better design than the one included in the mount kit. You can order the parts in the mount kit (without the cradle) separately, you'll save around 5$ overall.

BI

Thanks for the information

I have been half looking for a 550 myself, currently using an older GPS V. Where did you get it for that price in Canada??? Even Costco wants over $300 CDN.

I lucked out. On a whim I walked into Best Buy to 'window shop' as well as browse their current crop of GPS's. Lo and behold they had the 550 on liquidation for 279CAN. I had sort of set my sights on a 550 and figured, what the heck, I had not seen lower than 349CAN (at Costco) up til then.

Since then, when shopping for my mount and such, I found the Nuvi 550 listed for 329 at GPSCITY.CA. Once you factor in the 12$ shipping, it gets real close to Costco in price, but you only pay federal sales tax, so here in Quebec that saves you 7%.

This morning I updated the software and map (free map updates for 61 days). It takes quite a while....zzzz... I booted up Mapsource and uploaded a test route and it worked great. I went for a ride and the computer lady is real patient, try as I might she always finds me a way back to the planned route, which is more that I can say for me on my various excursions using paper maps. :blink:

So I'm all setup for my annual 'Great Ride'. I'll put the planned routes and discuss in another post.

I hope this info was useful, and will speed up the search for some of you that are considering a GPS mod.

ciao

BI

• Member Contributer
Looks like a good setup. I was wondering why you went with the nuvi models over the zumo models like the zumo 550?

You can buy 2 and a 1/2 nuvi's for the price of the zumo, would love to see a comparison to see if the cost savings is worth it in a usability kinda way. I sooo wanna get a GPS this winter but the cost of the Zumo makes me cringe and makes the boss :angry:

Guest spyder

I am looking for a GPS that can be hooked to a computer, ride planned out on computer, then route transferred to GPS. I could care less about a GPS that gets me from point A to point B. I want a GPS that leads me on a cool ride that I have mapped out. Do these GPS's do this? Was at the Dragon last month and a guy on a Harley said he had a zumo and could go on a site where he could program any route he wanted into his zumo. Now that would be a cool GPS. The one that you could program to take you to the middle of nowhere.

I am looking for a GPS that can be hooked to a computer, ride planned out on computer, then route transferred to GPS. I could care less about a GPS that gets me from point A to point B. I want a GPS that leads me on a cool ride that I have mapped out. Do these GPS's do this? Was at the Dragon last month and a guy on a Harley said he had a zumo and could go on a site where he could program any route he wanted into his zumo. Now that would be a cool GPS. The one that you could program to take you to the middle of nowhere.

YES, this Nuvi 550 allows you to create and upload routes. The software to do this comes with the Nuvi. Well, it doesn't actually come 'in the box', rather you have to go to the Garmin.com site and dig around a bit. Once you find your way around, when you try to download map/software updates, you have to first register your device, and create a user account. It's not really that difficult if you're the slightest bit computer savvy. With the Garmin software MAPSOURCE it is quite simple to create routes and once you're done you upload it to your device. The FULL map database resides on your computer, so everything that your Garmin can see/detect, is available to you when you build your custom route. The custom route is developped by stringing 'waypoints' together to build the overall route. If I remember correctly the Nuvi 550 is capable of 10,000 waypoints. So if route planning is the defining feature in your purchase, make sure the model you buy can store lots.

The Nuvi 550 is essentially the same as the Zumo 550, EXCEPT the Nuvi doesn't have Bluetooth. Somehow +600$ :angry: for Bluetooth didn't seem worth it...

"take you to the middle of nowhere"...I've been there too many times already, :blush: that's why I bought the dang thing :laugh:

BI

• Member Contributer

YES, this Nuvi 550 allows you to create and upload routes. The software to do this comes with the Nuvi. Well, it doesn't actually come 'in the box', rather you have to go to the Garmin.com site and dig around a bit. Once you find your way around, when you try to download map/software updates, you have to first register your device, and create a user account. It's not really that difficult if you're the slightest bit computer savvy. With the Garmin software MAPSOURCE it is quite simple to create routes and once you're done you upload it to your device. The FULL map database resides on your computer, so everything that your Garmin can see/detect, is available to you when you build your custom route. The custom route is developped by stringing 'waypoints' together to build the overall route. If I remember correctly the Nuvi 550 is capable of 10,000 waypoints. So if route planning is the defining feature in your purchase, make sure the model you buy can store lots.

The Nuvi 550 is essentially the same as the Zumo 550, EXCEPT the Nuvi doesn't have Bluetooth. Somehow +600$ :angry: for Bluetooth didn't seem worth it...

"take you to the middle of nowhere"...I've been there too many times already, :blush: that's why I bought the dang thing :laugh:

BI

The difference with the Zumo is more than BT. I really like the Nuvi line especially the 500 with Topo packaged. Great unit ...good for just about anything to include hiking.

Guest wdgah

Five months ago, just about the time Garmin released the Zumo 660, I came across the Zumo 450 for $350 (brand new but on clearance from a trusted reseller). The 660 was the "new" version of the 550, but it, too, lacked the full functionality of the 550, but nearly the same price.

My 450 was roughly half the price of the 550/660, but lacked two primary functions:

1. Bluetooth

2. XM radio *capable*

Finally, the 550 included the car cradle. I managed to snag one for $60 on eBay.

I decided that it wasn't worth TWICE the price to be able to use my Blackberry and a wired or BT headset with the Zumo. Further, the near double the price meant you could buy a separate XM radio antenna/add-on (several hundred bucks MORE than the price of the 550).

As far as auto-routing, uploading routes from MapSource or Google, tracking, waypoints, yada blah etc., it does everything the 550 and 660 does that I want in a GPS.

And being a waterproof motorcycle-specific GPS, it was the perfect fit for upgrading my GPS V.

It's been a gem since I installed it on the bike. It came with the motorcycle cradle, as well as the 1" RAM ball mount. I had a 1" ball mount for the other end (the exact dimension between the two upper bolts for the gas tank, might I add), along with the 3" stem. Wired it up with the included motorcycle power cable, and I was done in about 15 minutes.

Five months ago, just about the time Garmin released the Zumo 660, I came across the Zumo 450 for $350 (brand new but on clearance from a trusted reseller). The 660 was the "new" version of the 550, but it, too, lacked the full functionality of the 550, but nearly the same price.

My 450 was roughly half the price of the 550/660, but lacked two primary functions:

1. Bluetooth

2. XM radio *capable*

Finally, the 550 included the car cradle. I managed to snag one for $60 on eBay.

I decided that it wasn't worth TWICE the price to be able to use my Blackberry and a wired or BT headset with the Zumo. Further, the near double the price meant you could buy a separate XM radio antenna/add-on (several hundred bucks MORE than the price of the 550).

As far as auto-routing, uploading routes from MapSource or Google, tracking, waypoints, yada blah etc., it does everything the 550 and 660 does that I want in a GPS.

And being a waterproof motorcycle-specific GPS, it was the perfect fit for upgrading my GPS V.

It's been a gem since I installed it on the bike. It came with the motorcycle cradle, as well as the 1" RAM ball mount. I had a 1" ball mount for the other end (the exact dimension between the two upper bolts for the gas tank, might I add), along with the 3" stem. Wired it up with the included motorcycle power cable, and I was done in about 15 minutes.

Ain't life grand :fing02:

• Member Contributer

The Nuvi 550 is essentially the same as the Zumo 550, EXCEPT the Nuvi doesn't have Bluetooth. Somehow +600$ :fing02: for Bluetooth didn't seem worth it...

"take you to the middle of nowhere"...I've been there too many times already, :blush: that's why I bought the dang thing :fing02:

BI

Thanks, this is great info!!!

was saving for a Zumo its just way too much coin right now.

you answered my #1 question about rout planning.

can you see this screen in the direct sunlight? my cheap Magellan is unreadable in sunlight.

also will it track your rout and then allow you to download into your PC so you can save and repeat. i know this feature is available on zumo.

if this one doesn't have blue tooth dose it have head phone jack?

Edited by jfviffer

• 7 months later...
Guest spyder

BI

DDO-VFR

I bought a Nuvi 550 and the recommended mount kit and cable kit. Obviously got an extra cradle but maybe I can use it on my Buell. Installation looks straight forward. My only question involves electric hook-up. Can positive red wire be hooked up directly to positive battery terminal? Should black wire go to negative terminal of battery or should it be grounded. I know these are pretty elementary questions but I haven't done much electrical work on bikes and I really don't want to fry the bike. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

Phil

• Member Contributer

BI

I bought a Nuvi 550 and the recommended mount kit and cable kit. Obviously got an extra cradle but maybe I can use it on my Buell. Installation looks straight forward. My only question involves electric hook-up. Can positive red wire be hooked up directly to positive battery terminal? Should black wire go to negative terminal of battery or should it be grounded. I know these are pretty elementary questions but I haven't done much electrical work on bikes and I really don't want to fry the bike. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

Phil

Red to red...black to black..right to the battery. I have wired two bikes like that till I put in swithched aux fuse boxes

Guest spyder

Nuvi 550 installation complete. Special thanks to DDO-VFR for his great advice. GPS mount was a perfect fit to front tank bolts. Did have to by 2 40mm long bolts at local hardware store, less than a buck. It is pretty much the perfect position and obscures nothing. Mapsource is a little challenging to get used to. Not real intuitive, but with a little practice it gets pretty easy. Second picture is a route I have planned through the Appalachian mountains near Charlottesville, VA where my son attends college. Last picture is to show how power supply attaches to cradle when Garmin not in use. Pretty slick setup. Everything cost just over $300.

post-16508-126849296777_thumb.jpg

post-16508-126849298488_thumb.jpg

post-16508-126849300796_thumb.jpg

Guest bouch

I had a similar setup on my bike (07) with the tank screw ball mount for the ram. I went on one ride with it and when i got home i noticed the ram mount came in contact with the front lip on my tank and rubbed all the paint off of it in one spot. Anyone run into this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Well I finally sprung for a GSP (Garmin Nuvi 550, for 279 CAN$), and RAM mounting kits.

The Nuvi 550 comes with the cigaretter lighter charger cable, but I didn't what to jury rig that on the bike, and besides, I wanted to keep it for car use. Of course it also come with a suction cup style mount which needless to say is not ideal for a bike. I found a RAM mount and power cables at GPSCITY.CA. I ordered the RAM-B-149Z-GA32U (28$CAN) mount kit and the 010-11143-07 (21$CAN) power cable kit. Odd thing is that the cable kit only comes E/W a mounting cradle. Turns out it was a blessing because the cradle with the cable kit is much better thought out.

It has a dummy plug for the USB cable plug when the GPS unit in not in the cradle,

it has a backing plate to keep the connector from coming loose when the GPS unit is installed,

you can install the GPS into the cradle with the USB plug already in place,

and the locking mechanism is a neat cammed lever, so you don't have to fight with bending plastic.

The cradle that came with the mount kit did not have any of those features.

The power cable is equipped with the charger, a fuse, and the USB plug (and a noise suppression inductor). It was exactly the right length to reach the mount.

Here are a few photos to illustrated.

gallery_10716_3738_2673.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_48338.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_14263.jpg

gallery_10716_3738_85729.jpg

Too bad it's raining now, well I guess that goes without saying 'cuz I'm sitting here writing this stuff...just as well, I have to figure out how to upload routes anyway.

BI

I have the exact same setup... No kidding, same bike too :lobby:

DSC06858.jpg

DSC06857.jpg

DSC06856.jpg

DSC06856.jpg

DSC06854.jpg

My wife has the GPS in her car right now, so no pic's of it... I prefer the tank-bolt mount over the stem-mount, much more secure. I had the stem-mount before but it moved around to much.