How Doug And Superchode Hit On Some Dykes, Dutchy Popped Some Cherries And I Lost My Cool.

med_gallery_5310_4776_321264.jpg

Last week Dutchy send me and superchode a PM telling that douglasthecook was coming over to the Netherlands during the 4th juli weekend to explore some of our fine roads. So the three of us took the friday off to show him around the area. The weather forcast forcast for the weekend looked at its best for friday with just a slight chance of hitting some showers. I thought the dike roads would be the most fun to ride, fairly twisty, not too many crossings and especially on weekdays not much other traffic. And with Doug doing most of his riding on the track instead of the street, that would make him feel the most comfortable :biggrin: I think for superchode, who just recently got his dutch plates, it was also one of his first rides on the narrow roads that run along the many rivers that cross our country. We rode along the Rijn (Rhine), Waal and Lek. Actualy the Rijn is named the Rijn from it's source in the Swiss Alps to just after it has crossed the Dutch border, where it splits into several different rivers forming the Rijn, Maas, Schelde delta.

Here is a map of the trip we planned:

Full Size

Douglasthecook was staying at Dutchy's place and we met up friday morning at a local MC dealer where I took the opportunity to get me some new riding gloves. Althoug not many fit my somewhat large hands I got me a nice pair made of kangaroo leather :laugh: Then it was off for gas and across the bridge over the river Lek. When I left home in the morning it was already very hot, must have been close to 28C and very humid. Just the right ingredients for me to sweat like pig in all that gear. Luckily there was hardly any traffic and we could keep a decent pace and with my visor fully open and the sunglasses on it was bearable. After maybe an hour or so I did feel getting a bit dehydrated and when I saw a nice place to get a drink we pulled off and sat down in a nice spot in the shade under a tree. Someone who shall remain anonymous got off his bike and sighed: "man, these twisties are killing me". Yes, these roads can be a lot of fun :laugh:

gallery_5310_4776_106401.jpg

A realy nice spot to get some refreshments.

HPIM2520.jpg

You can see some of the dike in the background

After the brake we went on our way along the river Waal to Nijmegen. Shortly after passing Nijmegen I found some of the roads my GPS directed me to were closed. Well, at least that was what the roadsigns were trying to tell me but from experience I know that a lot of these roads that are closed to motorised traffic (4+ wheelers) can be taken by two wheelers and I thought to just ignore the roadsigns and look how to get onto the dikes again. Well I lucked out and after some dirt riding we had to turn around and take a bit of a detour, sorry guys :laugh: These GPS maps are never completely up to date. :ph34r:

Close to where the river Rijn splits into the Waal & IJssel we had to take a ferry to get across. This gave doug some time to do some Rossi style stretching :laugh:

HPIM2524.jpg

He is not a flexible as Rossi though.

HPIM2527.jpg

superchode seems also to be doing some stretching, or is he peeing on someone's (his own) bike :laugh:

gallery_5310_4776_321264.jpg

From L to R: Superchode, Dutchy, V4 Rosso & douglasthecook.

On the other side of the river Doug & superchode switched bikes and they both agreed that their bikes have quite a different feel and some rubber was laid down on the tarmac. Before we knew it we crossed the border into Germany where the roads alongside the Rijn (Rhein) are not as twisty. We took the first bridge that crossed the Rijn and headed back to The Netherlands but not before we had some lunch at a German Biergarten. Yes, lunch, not beer.

gallery_5310_4776_256315.jpg

gallery_5310_4776_333188.jpg

Chilling at the Biergarten

Not long after we were served our first refreshment some really dark clouds started rolling in and you could allready hear the thunderstorm in the distance.

gallery_5310_4776_219241.jpg

HPIM2529.jpg

And it didn't take long before some heavy showers cooled the place down to some more comfortable level, as up untill then I was still sweating like pig. I also do not mind riding in the rain so to me a bit of rain wasn't very unwelcome, I am not sure about the others though wink.gif

We just waited for the rain to pass before getting on our way again. Later I read in the papers that some nearby towns got as much as 3 inch (75mm.) of rain :blink:

But after a while the sun got out again and the roads dried fairly quickly and we could ride a decent pace untill we hit some mild showers when we were again nearby Nijmegen. I had planned for some riding along the river Maas as well but it was getting kind of late and we decided to head back home. We still had a fair stretch of dikes in front of us. Along the way we had passed some stands where the locals sell freshly picked cherries and we stopped to see if this years cheries are nice and juicy. I think they were pretty good.

gallery_5310_4776_344848.jpg

Enjoying some cherries.

gallery_5310_4776_188395.jpg

Dutchy demonstrating how to properly consume freshly picked cherries. Next time we'll have some haring (herring).

This last stop also gave me the oportunity to get some pics of Dougs frankenviffer. It looks great Doug! :laugh:

gallery_5310_4776_442971.jpg

gallery_5310_4776_311548.jpg

Back at the MC dealer where we started our trip, superchode and I admired the Aprillia RSV4 they had sitting on the showroomfloor and some other hot bikes we can't afford, before we all went on our way home. Thank you all, really had a great time and I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did. :blink:

Hmm... Pizza & pasta every Friday, schnitzel buffet every Saturday, and homade sangria to boot! I'm hungry! (but not for cherries...)

Looks like a lotta fun to me!

I can only see about 1/2 of the pictures...the rest just don't show...

Last picture I can see is the bikes getting rained on, and some seem to be missing in the middle?...I see 6 pictures including the map

Nice report! :biggrin:

I'm really looking forward to returning to the Netherlands next year. Unfortunately, we'll be travelling by car, not VFR. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, we like popping cherries over here.........

:biggrin:

I'll let Doug post up some more shots of his "bolt on" FrankenViffer....

Beck,

We have Doutzen Kroes, would she be acceptable to you?

:laugh:

nice write-up of a great ride.

doug's certainly engineered some personality into his VFR... after locking up the front tire, i gave it back to him, heh.

What a cool ride (and report), thanks Jerome! Made this morning's commute (by train) a little brighter.

DTC, that bike is looking fantastic.

Woah... that 4th gen pops my cherry!!

Love the international spirit!!

Looking forward to Mich Hoy crashing through here on his 4th gen.... he's currently being chaperoned around Spain by CLubVFRSpain members... you're all welcome over...

Yeah, we like popping cherries over here.........

I'll let Doug post up some more shots of his "bolt on" FrankenViffer....

Beck,

We have Doutzen Kroes, would she be acceptable to you?

Oooh! she is a looker indeed, but not in the same "style" as Audrey was in her best days. At least Audrey did ride on scooters in her movies so she might have appreciated a ride on VFRs (note VFR content moderators! :laugh: ). I was born a generation too late though for her though....sigh.........and I might end up in jail if I go after someone like miss Kroes for corrupting a much younger person! tongue.gif

Beck

95 VFR

BTW, Dutchy, Are there still women that look like Audrey Hepburn in the land of dikes??

If there are, maybe I should think of moving there! :laugh:

Beck

95 VFR

Nope, I took home the last one:

n1224974224_304729_8564.jpg

BTW, Dutchy, Are there still women that look like Audrey Hepburn in the land of dikes??

If there are, maybe I should think of moving there! :laugh:

Beck

95 VFR

Nope, I took home the last one:

n1224974224_304729_8564.jpg

And it looks like you have her dressing up in black too!..........Uhhhmmm....Just like Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tifanny's"!

Or is it just to match your bike??!! :laugh:

Beck

95 VFR

Nice ear storage for the extra cherries, Dutchy. :laugh:

What's the proper etiquette over there for spitting out the seeds? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Nice report and great pics thanks for your time and energy.

By the way, do they serve food in Germany?

Muff

Seem you had a great ride boys :laugh:

Nice writeup and pics V4Rosso :blink:

Would had like to be there, maybe a nother time....

Doug, a sweet ride you have :beer:

Archived